PDA

View Full Version : Bookmarking the Forum vs the Front Page

Troy87
07-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I hope you are liking what you are seeing so far with the GTT website. I also hope you have the front page of the website bookmarked in your browser. I know many of you may have the forum index bookmarked instead of the front page.

I hope you will always come to GTT by way of the front page each time you visit, especially since it is updated with all the latest news that comes out about Troy Sports. And, there will be more coming soon with the Merchandise and the Trojan Challenge.

If you do have your bookmark tied to the forum index instead of the front page, in the future you will occaisionally find that your bookmark will not work, and will not take you to the forum. To get to the forum, you will have to come back to the front page and re-enter the forum from the front page.

Finally, there will be a software update coming soon to the forum portion of GTT. It will necessitate that we go offline for a while. We will try to do this at a time in the early morning to cause as little disruption as possible, but it is something we need to do. Once we have the solid date of when the update will occur, look for the announcement here a few days before hand.

Thanks for you support and participation.
Keith Sims
Troy87

nohuddle
07-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I seriously don't understand the thought process behind making the forum more difficult to access by continuing to change the link. Why not let people decide for themselves whether the front page is worth a visit? If the content is good, people will visit.

Think about all the sites out there that link to the old forum that no longer work. Most any google search about Troy produces a previous post from this site that now is a broken link.

moosicman
07-24-2011, 11:17 PM
I too must say that I have 5 different computers that I use on a daily basis depending on where I am working that has both the forum AND the front page saved as a favorite link. It is going to be VERY frustrating having to redo the favorites as I've had to do once already. I somehow missed this thread the first time it was posted and so I thought it was just some glitch the first time my link went down. I frequent both of them regularly. I suppose it could be a matter of ad revenue tracking and I understand that. In addition, I love all the new changes greatly and the excitement it has created. Therefore, I really hate being a party pooper and source of negativety but I'm with you. This thing is a step in the wrong direction. If it has to be it has to be but if it doesn't HAVE to be, well....

Hemi Man
07-25-2011, 06:45 AM
I seriously don't understand the thought process behind making the forum more difficult to access by continuing to change the link. Why not let people decide for themselves whether the front page is worth a visit? If the content is good, people will visit.

Think about all the sites out there that link to the old forum that no longer work. Most any google search about Troy produces a previous post from this site that now is a broken link.

I too must say that I have 5 different computers that I use on a daily basis depending on where I am working that has both the forum AND the front page saved as a favorite link. It is going to be VERY frustrating having to redo the favorites as I've had to do once already. I somehow missed this thread the first time it was posted and so I thought it was just some glitch the first time my link went down. I frequent both of them regularly. I suppose it could be a matter of ad revenue tracking and I understand that. In addition, I love all the new changes greatly and the excitement it has created. Therefore, I really hate being a party pooper and source of negativety but I'm with you. This thing is a step in the wrong direction. If it has to be it has to be but if it doesn't HAVE to be, well....

He could make it a pay site and do away with the need for advertisers on the front page. Or load the board up with advertisements and watch everyone complain about that. Guys, its one click extra. Is it seriously that difficult?

Swordsman
07-25-2011, 07:30 AM
I agree with you Hemi! I think some people just find things to complain about!

TrojanArrow
07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
People it's really not that big of an issue to just bookmark the front page then click the message board link. And it takes all of ten seconds to favorite something seriously all you have to do is press control and D. And in firefox you can just drag the TsU symbol on an empty space under the search bar.

However, I will agree with a little bit of their ranting. The choice of pictures and information should vary a bit in the future. It seems like it's more of a Troy Football site than a Troy sports site. Like I would personally have a picture of the Trojan Arena than the imaginary football stadium we might close in the next six years. And I still say that the pictures under Trojan Nation should automatically scroll like a slideshow.

That way people could use chat while looking at sporting news in the Fall. Also last thing if you want to be really innovative a type of Sun Belt scoreboard would draw attention.

Burn the Horse
07-25-2011, 10:33 AM
As a former ad partner for GTT.com I must say I LOVE this idea. I'm sorry if it inconveiniances some of our members, but Jones Medical Supply has stepped up to the plate to help this site become what it is and I think everyone should be willing to add an extra click to their routine.

RDA Trojan
07-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Could we make it so the link to the forums on the main page open it in that window instead of opening it in a new one? Or is that a browser setting?

moosicman
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
He could do a lot of things and of course has every right to do so. I'm just stating what I think and how I feel. As I stated, I frequent BOTH pages. But there are times I am on the go and want to click through and see the latest posts on my way out. It's not that one more click makes much difference. It is that every time the link goes down, I then have to redo my favorites on five different computers. It's not that big a deal but it is an annoyance that I do not have to have as well. If you don't like that it is annoying to me, your gonna have to wait for a while before what you think becomes a going concern for me.

For the record, I also hit up the advertisers too. Just last night after going to the front page, I went to Jones Medical supply to see if they sold an Incentive Spirometer for my trumpet students. They don't seem to deal with items that small but if they do, I may give them some business because of the Troy connection even though buying them local would be 100 Xs more convenient. Your welcome.

ThePowerMan
07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
My 2 cents...........I don't mind the extra click. I really think there will be great news, pics, and links once all the bugs get worked out and the season gets closer.

I will "Be There" (on the front page) "When It Happens". Thumbs up from ThePowerMan!!!!

Troy87
07-26-2011, 06:41 AM
I would like to take a moment to address some of the items brought up in this thread.

The reason for the requirment of coming into GTT through the front page is for the advertisers. They want visibility if they're going to advertise on GTT, so it is imperative that site visitors come through the front page, where ads get seen.

For now the only real space we can place advertising is on the front page, outside of the forum. The forum software, as it is right now, cannot have advertising placed in it except at the very top where we currently have the BE THERE WHEN IT HAPPENS phrase.

There is an upgrade to the software that will allow some advertising to be placed in the forum areas, but there have been some technical difficulties in getting this accomplished. We are working these out, but it seems that each time we get one issue resolved, another pops up. But we will get there.

As for varying the pictures in the future, I hope we will be able to provide some different pics as they come to us. Once we get through some of the technical stuff, where we can work on the "pretty" factor some more, we should see more varying items on the site.

For now thanks for your patience.

Keith Sims
Troy87

nohuddle
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
if we must have ads, why not incorporate them into the top and bottom banner of the message board?

it's really not about the one extra click, it just seems like a bad business decision to me. IMHO, if you want the site to grow you should focus on making it more user friendly and easier to access. Instead it's now more difficult and frustrating to access, and we've got broken links all over the internet that will prevent new people from finding the site.

By the way, the "one extra click" actually is more than that. 99% of the time I, like many, access this site on my phone, usually with a slow connection. The site is not mobile friendly, so I have to wait for all the pictures, articles, ads, and scrolling links to load, then try to click the tiny message board link. It opens in a new page, so then I have to find and close the old page.

I blame JonesOxygen for the extra click. Plus he refuses to take my insurance. :taunt003: kidding. Thanks for supporting the site, and thanks Troy87 for the hard work.

CHughes1102
07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
if we must have ads, why not incorporate them into the top and bottom banner of the message board?

it's really not about the one extra click, it just seems like a bad business decision to me. IMHO, if you want the site to grow you should focus on making it more user friendly and easier to access. Instead it's now more difficult and frustrating to access, and we've got broken links all over the internet that will prevent new people from finding the site.

By the way, the "one extra click" actually is more than that. 99% of the time I, like many, access this site on my phone, usually with a slow connection. The site is not mobile friendly, so I have to wait for all the pictures, articles, ads, and scrolling links to load, then try to click the tiny message board link. It opens in a new page, so then I have to find and close the old page.

I blame JonesOxygen for the extra click. Plus he refuses to take my insurance. :taunt003: kidding. Thanks for supporting the site, and thanks Troy87 for the hard work.

Amen!!

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/clap%20clap%20clap/grand/the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Pensacola Kid
07-26-2011, 04:58 PM

This is the plan. However, the current message board software is not advertisement friendly and it's about 5 versions behind the newest available version. Unfortunately, you can't simply upgrade to the newest version. You must complete each upgrade before proceeding to the next. Once this is complete, it will allow the owner to do exactly what you stated above and place advertisements anywhere on the board.

It might sound simple, but it's not. Currently, we are looking for a solution to conduct multiple upgrades while minimizing the time the message board is offline. Right now each upgrade would take 2-3 hours "if" everything goes correctly.

More to follow...:wave:

Surf report:
The swell forecast for Wednesday has backed off, but a more solid chance for waves is showing on Thursday and more likely Friday. Keep an eye on it so you do miss out when it does show up!!!

Navarre Trojan
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
The Whinners on this board are incredible!!

An extra click to much, REALLY? The folks that are running this board are trying to make it as easy as they can, but they still have to pay for things, AT NO COST TO US! So it was determined that for advertisers to get the 'best bang for their buck' given the current configuration of the software used, the front page is where these ads have to be placed. So in order to sell ads, there has to be some guarantee that those ads will be seen (and hopefully accessed) from this forum.

Anyone got some cheese, it would go great with the whine on here!! Maybe a towel as well, or just some Northern with its multi-purpose use!

moosicman
07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
I've personally committed to whine two times for every one time someone whines about non-Troy sportswear. :taunt002:

moosicman
07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
I noticed today that my favorites link to the forum brought up a page to click-and-link to the main page and the forum. This, I think, is great! The first time my link went down, it went down with a "Internet Explorer cannot open the link" not connected to the internet type of window. I want it known for the record that this is what I was objecting to. As it appears not to be the case, may it be known that I am 110% cozy with the acutal change. :)

formerlytsufan
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
The Whinners on this board are incredible!!

An extra click to much, REALLY? The folks that are running this board are trying to make it as easy as they can, but they still have to pay for things, AT NO COST TO US! So it was determined that for advertisers to get the 'best bang for their buck' given the current configuration of the software used, the front page is where these ads have to be placed. So in order to sell ads, there has to be some guarantee that those ads will be seen (and hopefully accessed) from this forum.

Anyone got some cheese, it would go great with the whine on here!! Maybe a towel as well, or just some Northern with its multi-purpose use!

This is a message board and everyone has a right to differing opinions. You may not like the opinion but they have as much right as you to express it.

Burn the Horse
07-27-2011, 05:01 PM
This is a message board and everyone has a right to differing opinions. You may not like the opinion but they have as much right as you to express it.

You are wrong sir, only I have the right to my opinion.

http://www.primaryignition.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Lord+Darth+Vader+darthvader_wideweb__470x3650.jpg

formerlytsufan
07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
You are wrong sir, only I have the right to my opinion.

http://www.primaryignition.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Lord+Darth+Vader+darthvader_wideweb__470x3650.jpg

Yeah, it does seem that some people actually feel that way.

Burn the Horse
07-27-2011, 05:08 PM
good thing your favorite Mod doesn't. :thumb:

moosicman
07-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Rep points all around on those last few posts!