PDA

View Full Version : Clemson game

Carolina Trojan
07-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know if "The Sound" is making the trip to Clemson?

MusicMan
07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
The last I heard is yes, but I'll be able to tell you after the band meeting on August the 10th

troy4ever21
07-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Last I heard we are.

I really hope we go to Annapolis, MD or one of the Arkansas schools. I've been to New Orleans plenty of times.

JPSousa1898
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Yes we are.

I really hope we go to Annapolis, MD or one of the Arkansas schools. I've been to New Orleans plenty of times.

New Orleans is kind of a SOTS tradition... :eatdrink004:

TrojanWarrior418
07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Do you know what the show is going to be this year? All I'm hoping is that it's something other than a Super 70's show and a Latin Show.

troy4ever21
07-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Spy theme

troy4ever21
07-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Do you know what the show is going to be this year? All I'm hoping is that it's something other than a Super 70's show and a Latin Show.

Here are the selections we'll be playing this year for the spy show:

1) Secret Agent Man/Peter Gunn
2) Goldfinger/Incredibles/A​ustin Powers
3) Nobody Does It Better/Live and Let Die/007 Theme

SOTSButterfly
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Here are the selections we'll be playing this year for the spy show:

1) Secret Agent Man/Peter Gunn
2) Goldfinger/Incredibles/A​ustin Powers
3) Nobody Does It Better/Live and Let Die/007 Theme

Love it! :bounce012:

jgrimsley
07-30-2011, 04:03 PM
No SOTS at Clemson.

JPSousa1898
07-31-2011, 01:22 AM
If a Grimsley says it, it's true. Trust.

Carolina Trojan
07-31-2011, 02:21 PM
No SOTS at Clemson.

Great, have fun in (insert Sunbelt school town here) playing in front of 15K and about 100 Troy fans. Boneheaded decision by someone.

Hemi Man
07-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Great, have fun in (insert Sunbelt school town here) playing in front of 15K and about 100 Troy fans. Boneheaded decision by someone.

Sounds like all the more reason to have them at a conference game. But, I know nothing about the band that is just my opinion.

Carolina Trojan
07-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Sounds like all the more reason to have them at a conference game. But, I know nothing about the band that is just my opinion.

Same here.

MusicMan
07-31-2011, 06:21 PM
It's ULL we're going to as a full band, pep band is going to FIU and all the other Belt games. It's probably more cost-efficient to go to ULL in Nawlins than it is to bus 350 people to South Carolina, but I don't know the real reason, just speculation

Navarre Trojan
08-01-2011, 06:16 AM
It's ULL we're going to as a full band, pep band is going to FIU and all the other Belt games. It's probably more cost-efficient to go to ULL in Nawlins than it is to bus 350 people to South Carolina, but I don't know the real reason, just speculation

While I wish the SOTS could go to every game on the schedule, we will need you more in Lafayette than in Clemson, trust me. That is a tough place to play and they will want to get after us. They will have a good team that could fight for the Belt title. Can't wait to see you there. Neat town, neat stadium, GREAT TAILGATE!!!!

Troy87
08-01-2011, 08:17 AM
SOTS will not go to Clemson. I know this to be true. I think a big part of this is because last year when they went to the South Carolina game, SOTS was bumped and didn't get to march at half-time. So, the school paid to send them up there and back, and for the tickets for the game (which were not given to the band), so they could sit and watch the game (if you want to call that one a game) and play in the stands.

In these days of proration and budget cuts, it's just not a feasible thing to do. I do hope they decide to send a pep band though.

troy4ever21
08-01-2011, 10:16 AM
That makes sense. We didn't get to march at UF in 09 either.

MusicMan
08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
SOTS will not go to Clemson. I know this to be true. I think a big part of this is because last year when they went to the South Carolina game, SOTS was bumped and didn't get to march at half-time. So, the school paid to send them up there and back, and for the tickets for the game (which were not given to the band), so they could sit and watch the game (if you want to call that one a game) and play in the stands.

In these days of proration and budget cuts, it's just not a feasible thing to do. I do hope they decide to send a pep band though.

That's another thing, it's kind of pointless to send a marching band somewhere they can't march

VT Trojan
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
No point in sending the band to school that hasn't seen the SOTS play before. No sense in possibly getting kids from the upstate south carolina area interested in a great marching band vs all the others in this area.

JPSousa1898
08-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm sure that if someone wanted to bankroll the couple of million dollars it would take to send the SOTS to Clemson, that the university would reconsider.

I'm also certain that this was not an easy decision to make for the university leadership.

Keep in mind that the SOTS is as big of a recruiting tool for the university as the football team is and sending them is very desirable to the administration, but with the lack of the funds at the moment, the university is having to make some difficult decisions.

I'm not disappointed in the university at all right now. I just hope the financial situation improves soon so that we can get back to the point where we do show the university off more.

MusicMan
08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
No point in sending the band to school that hasn't seen the SOTS play before. No sense in possibly getting kids from the upstate south carolina area interested in a great marching band vs all the others in this area.

I think the point I was trying to make was lost. Trust me, I want to go to Clemson, and the only way I was going to make the game was to go up there and march, but I can see the point why the university wouldn't send SOTS if we won't be able to march, and even if they sent us to go play in the stands, it wouldn't make much of an impact...IMHO, because it's a different ballgame from playing in the stands and then playing on the field, neither is completely directly related to the other because of the things that go on in both areas.

TroyTuba
08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
A couple million?......Sousa, stick to the facts and no, it doesn't require millions - even when we flew to California.

JPSousa1898
08-04-2011, 02:43 AM
A couple million?......Sousa, stick to the facts and no, it doesn't require millions - even when we flew to California.

It took a million to ship the band to Nebraska back in 01. I wasn't just throwing numbers around. I was making an educated guess, despite it being egregiously wrong. Thanks for the correction and dressing down. I'll stick to the facts more closely from now on.

TrojanWarrior418
08-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I think the point I was trying to make was lost. Trust me, I want to go to Clemson, and the only way I was going to make the game was to go up there and march, but I can see the point why the university wouldn't send SOTS if we won't be able to march, and even if they sent us to go play in the stands, it wouldn't make much of an impact...IMHO, because it's a different ballgame from playing in the stands and then playing on the field, neither is completely directly related to the other because of the things that go on in both areas.

I think the SOTS makes all the difference in the world. I don't know what it is but whenever you hear the best damn band in the South playing the team (and the fans) seem to take it up a notch. Even in games where they didn't march I noticed the team performed just a little bit better. And as much as I LOVE the halftime shows it's also about supporting your school and nobody does it better than the Sound.

TroyTuba
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=JPSousa1898;189609]It took a million to ship the band to Nebraska back in 01.QUOTE]

Nope....

JPSousa1898
08-04-2011, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=JPSousa1898;189609]It took a million to ship the band to Nebraska back in 01.QUOTE]

Nope....

Then I was GROSSLY misinformed when I was in band.

Troy79
08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
The Sound of the South makes all the difference in the world at our football games. I know for a fact that our pep band that travels to away games is better than any conference foe's band and are actually louder than many of the Sun Belt's full blown bands. I know it costs money, but this group of dedicated students deserves the opportunity to showcase their talents at some of the big-time games. I know Coach loves to have them around and do believe the team gains inspiration from the Sound. It would be wonderful to have them be part of one of our greatest OOC victories ever!!!
Go TROY!

moosicman
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Are the students given an opportunity to chip in and pay a bit ($10/20/25/30) to help defray the cost? I'm not talking mandatory and I know that many probably couldn't or wouldn't. But they just might do something as passionate as they are about going and they may save up a bit. Heck, they could even do car washes and stuff like that. I'd pay to have my car washed and would need it every week. That may be just a drop in the bucket but it is a drop and it can't be an overly huge bucket. TroyTuba seems to know the cost range. I'm curious to know what it is 'cause I don't have a clue.

We use to do "Send A Mouse to College" when I was a kid. Maybe even an SOTS alumni push for "Send A Band to Clemson". Not gonna happen now, I know but I'm just thinking and dreaming. Anyway. Pipe dream over.

troy4ever21
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
We were told when Coach Blakeney and the team heard the Sound play during the Arkansas State rain delay it pumped them up. They came back out dry and energized! GO TROJANS!!!
t74zUKP0VBI

MusicMan
08-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Are the students given an opportunity to chip in and pay a bit ($10/20/25/30) to help defray the cost? I'm not talking mandatory and I know that many probably couldn't or wouldn't. But they just might do something as passionate as they are about going and they may save up a bit. Heck, they could even do car washes and stuff like that. I'd pay to have my car washed and would need it every week. That may be just a drop in the bucket but it is a drop and it can't be an overly huge bucket. TroyTuba seems to know the cost range. I'm curious to know what it is 'cause I don't have a clue.

We use to do "Send A Mouse to College" when I was a kid. Maybe even an SOTS alumni push for "Send A Band to Clemson". Not gonna happen now, I know but I'm just thinking and dreaming. Anyway. Pipe dream over.

What was it to go to MUTS? 50k for a drive up and back down? Like I said, I would love to go to Clemson, and it was the only way that I was going to get to go watch our Trojans whoop the kitties, but I guess I'll just have to settle for Barry or TV if I can find it.

Bamcubz
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Just 8 days to go. :bounce012:

TroyTuba
08-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Prices for trips can vary because of bidding for bus services changes every year. Let's round up to the high side and say the most the school pays per charter bus is $1,000 per day (again, I'm going on the high side because I imagine the price has gone up over the years, but it depends on the bid) - I think the band is on 6 buses (?) so for a single day trip that would be $6,000. Per diems (allowance) have undoubtedly changed as well, but I believe the last per diem I remember was $31 a day - each member and staff receives a per diem for meals and the size of the band varies but has been averaging 325 recently and with staff/ga's you can call it 340 - so if the per day allowance is $31 a day then the daily bill for that would be $10,540. There is also the rental of the Ryder truck and I have no idea what the cost for that would be; during the time I was in the band, the Ryder truck was either free or heavily discounted through a deal with the Montgomery Ryder rental. I don't think that deal is in place any longer due to a change of Ryder management. If you go into overnight trips, you obviously multiply these daily prices by the number of days the trip lasts. You have to add in hotel rooms during overnight stays and the band GA's work hard to secure great rates from very nice hotels. It's not hard to convince a hotel that may charge $200 or more for a room to give them to you for say $75 a room because the band will use at least 85 rooms (quad occupancy). That could put the bill for hotel in the $7,000 range, but of course this again is gonna vary depending on the deal that is worked out. Lots of variables depending on bids etc.

Bamcubz
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
When I was a band booster for Jay High School - to charter a bus so that the Band could attend the football games, prices were anywhere from $1,200 to $1,500 and that was like 3 years ago. I imagine with the price of gas its even higher now. Even local games when they used a school bus, they still had to pay for the driver's time and meals. Its a wonder any school can afford to take their students anywhere, but I'm really glad the SOTS attend as many as they do.