PDA

View Full Version : Second 2012 Commit

trojanbrutha
07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Saturday, July 2, 2011

Troy recruiting update (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/07/troy-recruiting-update.html)

Troy now has its second commitment of the 2012 recruiting class (as far as I know).

Fitzgerald, Ga. safety JaQuadrian Lewis recently committed to Troy. The Trojans' first commit was a big one in terms of rankings on rivals.com 3-star cornerback Shaquille Beverly of Jacksonville (First Coast) Fla.

dgoebel
07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Glad to see this. The more high school recruits we can get and the less Juco the better. Get them in the system for 4 years. We get 3 more out of Corey Robinson after a great freshman year. A juco we would get 2 and they are done.

Hemi Man
07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Glad to see this. The more high school recruits we can get and the less Juco the better. Get them in the system for 4 years. We get 3 more out of Corey Robinson after a great freshman year. A juco we would get 2 and they are done.

Some jucos have 3 years. Jucos are an important part of our recruiting. They are great for filling needs immediately and when can sometimes land guys that weren't looking at Troy during their original recruitment.

dgoebel
07-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Some jucos have 3 years. Jucos are an important part of our recruiting. They are great for filling needs immediately and when can sometimes land guys that weren't looking at Troy during their original recruitment.

Very few have 3 years left. I know they fill a need, but the problem I see is that if they don't play or contribute the first year, that leaves only one year left. Compared to a high school player who can redshirt or grey shirt and have 4 years to contribute. Pro's and con's to both sides. I don't mind a few juco's, I just don't want to see it be the primary recruiting focus.

GunSlingers
07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
This is good for the program. It really looks like the Trojans are broadening and are an up and coming program in the recruiting aspect of things

dgoebel
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
This is good for the program. It really looks like the Trojans are broadening and are an up and coming program in the recruiting aspect of things

Agreed :eatdrink004:

Tums
07-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Very few have 3 years left. I know they fill a need, but the problem I see is that if they don't play or contribute the first year, that leaves only one year left. Compared to a high school player who can redshirt or grey shirt and have 4 years to contribute. Pro's and con's to both sides. I don't mind a few juco's, I just don't want to see it be the primary recruiting focus.

Almost All Juco's come with a 3 years left to play 2. Others come with 4 years left to play 3. In most cases a Juco player sitting one year red shirting does not effect him having 2 or 3 years left to play. Jonathan Massaquoi is a perfect example of getting a young Juco then Red shirting him.

dgoebel
07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Almost All Juco's come with a 3 years left to play 2. Others come with 4 years left to play 3. In most cases a Juco player sitting one year red shirting does not effect him having 2 or 3 years left to play. Jonathan Massaquoi is a perfect example of getting a young Juco then Red shirting him.

You are very fortunate to get a juco who will be a sophmore. The vast majority are juniors when they arrive. A lot depends on the circumstances of the player. Did they go juco looking for a better offer or did they go because they were academically ineligible? I am not saying that juco players don't serve a need, it just seems to me we are signing more and more of them every year. I think we are better off trying to recruit the high school player first. Redshirt, give them a year to learn the Troy way and then get 4 years of productivity. Look at the diference we will have having Corey for 4 years as we did having Omar for 2. Omar did a great job, but imagine having him for one or two more years?

TrojanArrow
07-20-2011, 11:43 PM
I really hope we establish a stronger recruiting foundation in the near future Juco players are a gamble and can cause major depth issues. Just look at what it's done for programs like TCU, Utah, Boise, and UCF.

Most Juco players are as good as they will get by the time they finish two years of junior college. With high school players you will not always hit home but it's very common for guys like Corey Robinson and Kellen Moore to be seriously underrated and end up at small schools. What was Corey a 2 star recruit and hes on track to being one of the greatest school passers if he keeps up his stats for three years.

And Jernigan got sent away from Auburn because he was two small. Bottom line High school recruits may not hold immediate value like Juco players but the yield is usually much greater. As good as Massaquoi is imagine if he would have went to Troy in the first place.

Mike Cunningham
07-21-2011, 06:56 AM
it just seems to me we are signing more and more of them [JUCO players] every year.

I wonder if Drew would ever do a breakdown of our signees HS vs JUCO? To see if we really are signing more JUCOs every year.

TrojanArrow
07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
I wonder if Drew would ever do a breakdown of our signees HS vs JUCO? To see if we really are signing more JUCOs every year.

Ask he would get lots of hits for that

Schard
07-27-2011, 03:54 PM
The Trojans need to get on their horses and keep hitting the recruiting trail... UAB has six commitments so far, all from high school players.

dgoebel
07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
The Trojans need to get on their horses and keep hitting the recruiting trail... UAB has six commitments so far, all from high school players.

Yes, but they probably weren't good enough to play for Troy anyway :rollinglaugh:

trojanbrutha
07-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Yes, but they probably weren't good enough to play for Troy anyway :rollinglaugh:

hey :taunt003: hey :taunt003:

Burn the Horse
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM

I think it's really awesome that UAB has decided to recruit out of the special ed programs. that is just great for you guys.

Swordsman
07-28-2011, 08:50 AM
I have to disagree. I know of at least one of those UAB commitments that I would have loved to have at Troy.

Schard
07-28-2011, 02:11 PM
I think it's really awesome that UAB has decided to recruit out of the special ed programs. that is just great for you guys.

I'm glad you feel that way. I'll be sure to pass that along.

TrojanArrow
07-28-2011, 10:54 PM

This is what I don't understand about UAB. Conference USA isn''t exactly a strong conference it does have about four really decent teams like SMU, Houston, Tulsa, and UCF. But they have been managing to recruit better than us to do nothing with it and go 3-9.

I wonder when high school students in Alabama are going to start realizing there is another school besides Alabama, Auburn, and UAB lol.

Schard
07-29-2011, 10:29 AM
This is what I don't understand about UAB. Conference USA isn''t exactly a strong conference it does have about four really decent teams like SMU, Houston, Tulsa, and UCF. But they have been managing to recruit better than us to do nothing with it and go 3-9.

I wonder when high school students in Alabama are going to start realizing there is another school besides Alabama, Auburn, and UAB lol.

My guess is that location and media coverage plays a factor. What recent commits are saying, though, is that they feel UAB is on its way up and they want to be a part of it. UAB just released its new master plan and rumors are that a new, on-campus stadium is one of the first projects. UAB just hired former Memphis head coach Tommy West as the defensive coordinator, which will help recruiting. Having future home games with MSU and Ole Miss doesn't hurt, either.

**Edit** UAB now has seven commits for 2012.

GoTroyGo1
08-05-2011, 02:31 AM
I don't mind Troy getting some Juco's. Seen a few too many lately and hope it doesn't start a trend A few might have playing experience at bigger school Trawick (Mich St) .I'd like for us to get as many high schoolers as we can and mix in the odd D-1 transfer/ Juco. There are enough talented athletes in GA/AL/ FL Panhandle to keep us stocked with players.

TrojanArrow
08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
My guess is that location and media coverage plays a factor. What recent commits are saying, though, is that they feel UAB is on its way up and they want to be a part of it. UAB just released its new master plan and rumors are that a new, on-campus stadium is one of the first projects. UAB just hired former Memphis head coach Tommy West as the defensive coordinator, which will help recruiting. Having future home games with MSU and Ole Miss doesn't hurt, either.

**Edit** UAB now has seven commits for 2012.

Ill believe it when I see it lol. Tommy West is an upgrade but he isn't a head coach and coaching at UAB for a reason. Their basketball team probably won more games in a season than their football team did in three or four.

Schard
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Make that 11 commits.

Edit... 12 as of Tuesday.