PDA

View Full Version : 60 Arrested at Troy Fraternity Party

TrojanWarrior418
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
More than 60 were arrested at a Troy University fraternity party in the downtown square in Troy last night.
Alabama’s Alcoholic Beverage Consecution Board Lt. Thomas Price says the arrests were made around midnight at the Pines Restaurant for charges ranging from minor in possession, distribution of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana....

http://www.waka.com/news/troy-news/7990-60-arrested-at-troy-univ-fraternity-party.html

dgoebel
06-22-2011, 08:23 AM
From my understanding the Frats at Troy had signed a no alcohol policy for fraternity village. This happenned off campus and puts the university in a bad light. Kick em all out of school I say.

socrgoly25
06-22-2011, 09:06 AM
From my understanding the Frats at Troy had signed a no alcohol policy for fraternity village. This happenned off campus and puts the university in a bad light. Kick em all out of school I say.

This was NOT one of the fraternities on fraternity row. Nice comment though.

dgoebel
06-22-2011, 09:42 AM
You pull the Kappa's charter and send a clear message that this will not be tolerated. That is how I would handle it. All we need now is to lose some more football players over this incident after having 4 flunk out of school.

Mr.E_205_Legion
06-22-2011, 11:04 AM
The word that quickly comes to mind when I heard this ... consistent - NOT what you thought I was going to say :-)

GIVE ME A MOMENT TO EXPLAIN.

If the Powers (Troy University, Troy City, Pike County) would be consistent in how they respond to "these events" maybe we would stop having to deal with them!

I have worked with young people (16 to 25 years old) my entire professional life and we know that they need direction (we ALL did during that age period unless we had super parents). You CANNOT send a mixed message! You cannot look the other way on any given game day when people (including the underaged in this topic thread) walk around campus and town drinking alcoholic beverages in open containers and the only thing that might be said or done is they are told to throw it away. Then, someone complains about an event (which based on the numbers reported it was worthy of a complaint) and arrests are made for the same type of behavior. I know that the articles state there were controlled substances, but you cannot tell me that was the initial individual arrested OR that all 60-75 people that have already been processed were arrested for control substances! I would expect the majority have been processed for underage drinking.

I have had experiences with the fraternity mentioned and their National Officers will deal with this situation. Remember the word that came to mind for me? IF you punish this group to send a message to others (no complaint here), then realize you are sending that message to SGA, Sound of The South, athletic teams, and ALL other campus recognized groups that are currently functioning as a representative of Troy University.

SERMON OVER!

dgoebel
06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
This is a huge problem at homecoming. With one of the fraternities pitching a tent next to Pace Hall and partying late into the night...open liquor bottles, underage drinking for sure etc. I wish they could clean it up. I have no problem with adults tailgating and having some beers. If you have a law that states 21 is the legal age, then you have to enforce it.

Burn the Horse
06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
So what I'm wondering is why the Pines didn't notice and stop all these underage kids drinking inside their establishment.

That needs to be the most important question here. did the Pines facilitate this or atleast turn a blind eye?

dgoebel
06-22-2011, 12:32 PM
So what I'm wondering is why the Pines didn't notice and stop all these underage kids drinking inside their establishment.

That needs to be the most important question here. did the Pines facilitate this or atleast turn a blind eye?

From one article it is saying the owner is cooperating and that the Pines rented the building out to the fraternity. That would make me think there was no food and they were just using the facility. I will say as a business owner, I would know exactly what is happening at my business. It was stupid on the owners part and it will cost her dearly.

Burn the Horse
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm sure she is cooperating with police, the establishment doesn't want to take a hit for this.

I will say this, my fraternity held an event at The Pines back when I was in school (and it was very nice and they did a great job hosting us). We had the upper room all to ourselves with a bartender provided by the restaurant as well as several other employees there to see to our needs.

I would be very shocked if the owner handed these folks the keys and asked them to lock up on their way out. The Pines had to have had people there in charge of handling any and all alcohol that went through their books.

So my question remains, how did the underage drinkers get the alcohol once inside the place? I could understand if someone in the fraternity was feeding one or two kids drinks behind the ownership's back...but they arrested 60+ people.

dgoebel
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm sure she is cooperating with police, the establishment doesn't want to take a hit for this.

I will say this, my fraternity held an event at The Pines back when I was in school (and it was very nice and they did a great job hosting us). We had the upper room all to ourselves with a bartender provided by the restaurant as well as several other employees there to see to our needs.

I would be very shocked if the owner handed these folks the keys and asked them to lock up on their way out. The Pines had to have had people there in charge of handling any and all alcohol that went through their books.

So my question remains, how did the underage drinkers get the alcohol once inside the place? I could understand if someone in the fraternity was feeding one or two kids drinks behind the ownership's back...but they arrested 60+ people.

Greed!! The almighty dollar trumpted common sense.

Burn the Horse
06-22-2011, 05:36 PM
WSFA is covering this.

CardinalBlackTrojan
06-22-2011, 06:15 PM
I want to know who the basketball and football players were that got arrested. Anyone know?

Hemi Man
06-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I want to know who the basketball and football players were that got arrested. Anyone know?

Are the names of the athletes anymore relevant than the other students involved? I'm not sure when or if the students names who were involved will be released.

RDA Trojan
06-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Are the names of the athletes anymore relevant than the other students involved? I'm not sure when or if the students names who were involved will be released.

If they're in the public eye and supposedly represent the university then I would think so.

Hemi Man
06-22-2011, 07:25 PM
If they're in the public eye and supposedly represent the university then I would think so.

I suppose you can look at it that way. I just think if you are going to name the athletes you should name the students within the general population as well. Personally I think its a bigger blow to the fraternity and the restaurant. Both will suffer much more, so long as the athletes involved were only guilty of minors in consumption. I certainly wouldn't won't to be the managers on duty last night at the Pines. Also, why was there a 16 and 17 year old there? That is very disturbing.

Hemi Man
06-22-2011, 07:34 PM
The word that quickly comes to mind when I heard this ... consistent - NOT what you thought I was going to say :-)

GIVE ME A MOMENT TO EXPLAIN.

If the Powers (Troy University, Troy City, Pike County) would be consistent in how they respond to "these events" maybe we would stop having to deal with them!

I have worked with young people (16 to 25 years old) my entire professional life and we know that they need direction (we ALL did during that age period unless we had super parents). You CANNOT send a mixed message! You cannot look the other way on any given game day when people (including the underaged in this topic thread) walk around campus and town drinking alcoholic beverages in open containers and the only thing that might be said or done is they are told to throw it away. Then, someone complains about an event (which based on the numbers reported it was worthy of a complaint) and arrests are made for the same type of behavior. I know that the articles state there were controlled substances, but you cannot tell me that was the initial individual arrested OR that all 60-75 people that have already been processed were arrested for control substances! I would expect the majority have been processed for underage drinking.

I have had experiences with the fraternity mentioned and their National Officers will deal with this situation. Remember the word that came to mind for me? IF you punish this group to send a message to others (no complaint here), then realize you are sending that message to SGA, Sound of The South, athletic teams, and ALL other campus recognized groups that are currently functioning as a representative of Troy University.

SERMON OVER!
Excellent Post!!!

Burn the Horse
06-22-2011, 07:46 PM
this whole thing is just a mess. :mad:

ttt
06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Wow busting Fraternity parties in a college town. I wonder why so many rather go to Tuscaloosa and Auburn...where they can actually be college students. I love Troy but the University or town has no clue.

CHughes1102
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Wow busting Fraternity parties in a college town. I wonder why so many rather go to Tuscaloosa and Auburn...where they can actually be college students. I love Troy but the University or town has no clue.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/deal%20with%20it/grand/93828679_dealwithit_gif.gif

ttt
06-23-2011, 04:56 PM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/deal%20with%20it/grand/93828679_dealwithit_gif.gif

I don't get it.

moosicman
06-23-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't get it.

I do! LOL :rollinglaugh:

TroyDrum89
06-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Great first post!

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad325/troydrum/Thread%20Bombs/denied_encino_man.gif

Hemi Man
06-23-2011, 09:25 PM
They certainly are subject to any disciplinary action the university is going to take, and any other action the athletic department or that particular coach takes is on top of any sanctions that may be placed on a person,” Reeves said. “If you look in our student handbook, the standards of conduct mention student conduct both on and off campus when it’s detrimental to the institution. We do have that ability to (punish students). It would not be any different (for athletes) from a student perspective, but the possibility could be extra sanctions from their department.”

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/news/2011/jun/22/more-50-arrested-troy-fraternity-party-ar-2013693/

MusicMan
06-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I think you may want to think about that comment ttt. How often do you actually hear of the ABC board or the cops busting a fraternity party in Troy? Everyone and their brother knows there's underage drinking in fraternities, I don't think anyone is that naive about that. I can understand that when people are calling and complaing about something, it forces their hand. It's just like in sports, if the fans are booing a pitcher/quaterback/reciever/fielder/whatever you wanna say, then it may force the coaches hand to pull him. Yea, it's not always right or fair, but that's what happens when you get out of control with thing. They give an inch and some people try to take a mile with it

TroyTuba
06-24-2011, 11:15 PM
This is just somebody with an axe to grind, you could do this at the all the house parties around Troy and bust a bunch of "kids" drinking.....