PDA

View Full Version : DCI Report from 2005

MusicMan
06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
For those of you who don't know, DCI stands for Drum Corps International, and what they are is a bunch of different groups, called Corps, aka Drum and Bugle Corps, and they travel across the country performing and they have the finals on ESPN or ESPN2 every year. If you've never taken the time to watch it, I highly encourage that you do, it's a great learning experience. We have a Corps around here now, a few SOTS members are veterans of Spirit and other things I think, not too sure. This is a video that DCI and ESPN had filmed about the physical strain of marching.
6WWmM1jpM8I
and a link in case the video won't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWmM1jpM8I&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: Here is how to embed YouTube: http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_youtube

TroyTuba
06-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Not on ESPN anymore.....

MusicMan
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
since when? I thought it was one there last year?

And sorry Mike, I tried to post it correctly :/

TroyTuba
06-14-2011, 07:58 PM
It hasn't been on ESPN in a couple of years now.

FliryVorru
06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Last time it was on TV at all was in 2007 or 2008 when ESPN did it. They did it for -34 years after DCI ditched PBS for better money in 2005.

Now DCI really has it figured out and they make a decent buck off of the live Quarterfinals broadcast in early August. I've been to every one since they started doing it in 2004 and it is a BLAST!!! Sitting in a theater with 500 other DCI fans, including some really cool vets to talk to.... AWESOME. $15 bucks for 6 hours of drum corps is phenomenal.

redwaver
06-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Last time it was on TV at all was in 2007 or 2008 when ESPN did it. They did it for -34 years after DCI ditched PBS for better money in 2005.

Now DCI really has it figured out and they make a decent buck off of the live Quarterfinals broadcast in early August. I've been to every one since they started doing it in 2004 and it is a BLAST!!! Sitting in a theater with 500 other DCI fans, including some really cool vets to talk to.... AWESOME. $15 bucks for 6 hours of drum corps is phenomenal.
Being a guy that can't play a note of music, Troy's SOS is outstanding. I get a kick out of comparing us to my UA, AU,FSU and UF graduates friends. As they like to say in Mobile (USA) "still undefeated". I will say this though as a casual fan, there is NOTHING that puts chill bumps all over you that a sweat drum line performance. Wish we included more of them,

TroyTuba
06-20-2011, 01:46 AM
There is usually a percussion feature in most all of the SOTS shows, although they are no longer entire songs like they used to be "back in the day." That may be why you don't recognize them anymore.

redwaver
06-20-2011, 07:05 AM
You are right but I sure enjoyed those loooooooong drum features. Sent chill bumps up your arms with the beats they could throw in. Seemed like the drummers got a kick out of doing them as well! :)

TroyTuba
08-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Agreed, the formula has changed, but it would be nice to mix it up every now and then with an "old school" feature.