PDA

View Full Version : S,LB - Corey Silcox

CattouseFan
09-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Cory Silcox helped lead his Blountstown team to the State finals last year by piling up 126 tackles. He has recently been camping and feels his first offer could come at the conclusion of his camp tour.

"I went to Auburn's camp two weeks ago," said Silcox. "I got to talk with Coach Ensminger about my chances of getting a scholarship and the depth chart. We talked about what position they wanted me for, and they're recruiting me at outside linebacker. I'm also camping at Troy State; I feel like if I have a good camp, Troy State will offer after the camp. Those are my Top 2 schools right now, Auburn, and Troy."

"Auburn has a winning program, and they really seem to be interested in me. Troy State is recruiting me the hardest, and I also like talking with Coach Waldrop. I think I would have the opportunity for early playing time. I'll be looking for a great education and a place I feel most comfortable."

Combine Results:
Height: 5-10
Weight: 213
40-Yard Dash: 4.79
Short Shuttle: 4.37
Vertical Jump: 36"
3-Cone: 7.66
Broad Jump: 8-11

http://media.scout.com/media/image/21/216590.jpg

Player Profile Link
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=363&p=9&c=2&cid=391839&nid=1790675&fhn=1

TrojanWar
09-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Our recruits are still calling us Troy State. It's tough to get down on them for it, but when will it end?

CattouseFan
09-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Cory Silcox of Blountstown High School in Florida makes plays all over the field. He had 126 tackles, three forced fumbles, and seven interceptions as a junior, and he patterns his game after one of the best in the NFL.

"I play like Darren Woodson," said Silcox. "He defends the pass, plays the run, and hits hard."

It's easy to see where Silcox gets his power on the field. He claims a 345 pound bench press to go with a 450 squat on his 6-0 and 205 pound frame. With his size and strength, he could project as a linebacker on the college level.

"I've been invited to Junior Days at Auburn, Vanderbilt, and Iowa. I'm going to try and make all of them. I went to the Florida State/North Carolina game last year. My Top 4 right now is Florida State, Troy, Auburn, and Iowa. Florida State was my favorite team growing up."

Silcox will have a busy spring as he gets ready for the summer camp circuit.

"I also run the 100 meters for our track team."

CattouseFan
09-09-2005, 12:48 PM
After a more than impressive junior year by Corey Silcox you wouldn't expect to find a young man who is dreaming of something much bigger. After all, he had just come off a campaign that included 126 tackles and 7 interceptions. Still, the Blountstown star defensive player is looking at 2005 as another big year and maybe much bigger.

Rivals.com

Last year's team had fourteen wins before falling in the state championship game. There isn't much room for improvement, but Silcox offers up.

"I expect better than last year. I think we have the talent to win a state championship. Unless we totally bomb out, I expect we can do something. We return our whole backfield, and our weakness may be the offensive line. We have some pretty solid guys coming up, so I think we'll be alright."

Individually he sets his goals much of the same and although he intends to make the move from safety to linebacker in the fall he doesn't see the switch at being a big step.

"I don't think it's that big of a deal. I've played pretty close to the line my entire career. The biggest difference is the speed. Just shedding blocks you know. I'll be alright."

On top of playing linebacker this fall, he'll be seeing more time on the offensive side of the ball. He'll spend time in the backfield as his team shifts to a three back set.

"This year we're running a three back set. We have two wings and a fullback. I'll be starting both ways full time. I prefer defense, but I'm pretty good at both."

He's hoping the extra time on the field will garner him some attention for what he's already done. Last year, he was named an all district selection, but aims higher for his efforts this year. Silcox said of his hopes, "I hope my stats will get some attention, and I'll try to get all state this year."

Though his school plays at a smaller level than the teams at 5A and 6A, he doesn't think that will hurt him too much in the long run.

"I think it hurts me a little bit, but I'm going to these combines and competing with these kids at a 6A or 5A school. I'm not really worried about it. I mean all I can do is get on the field and compete."

As the recruiting process begins to heat up, Silcox has a tough position in front of him. Among those is choosing the side of the ball he intends to play at the next level, but he remains adamant that defense is always his preferred side.

The recruiting of this young man has really picked up over the last couple of months and two of Florida's biggest programs showing interest - Florida and FSU. Among the other teams that are showing a heavy amount of interest in the prospect right now are Auburn, Troy, Southern Miss, Iowa, and Vanderbilt.

He doesn't come with many question marks at the next level after his stats and his fully qualified 2.5 core GPA along with a 19 ACT score. The one area that college recruits are looking at is he may be a little undersized, but that is not something that bothers Silcox.

"Some schools it's a bit of a question, but at others as long as I can play it don't matter," said the star linebacker.

Right now he knows he's got a ways to go with the recruiting process, but names Troy, Southern Miss, Auburn, Florida, and Florida State as a solid top five.

Silcox had the best bench press for DBs at the Tallahassee NIKE Camp in May

CattouseFan
10-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Corey Silcox has had a great season playing in the Blountstown secondary, and he's going to try and continue the hot play over the last couple of the weeks of the season. Silcox talked a little bit about his season early Sunday evening.

"It's going pretty good right now. We're still undefeated, and I think we'll finish up strong," said Silcox.

Blountstown has had a big season, but they still have two very important games coming up against Holmes County and Wewahitchka.

"We've got two big games coming up. One of them is a district game, and the other one our defensive coordinator went over there at the end of last season. Both of them there will be reasons to get up for, but I think we'll win them unless we shoot ourselves in the foot."

Individually, Silcox has been playing at a pretty high level all year long. He talked a little bit about how he has progressed as a player over the season.

"I think I'm doing pretty good this year. I stayed healthy that's the main thing. I have ninety eight tackles."

Last year Silcox got a little bit of time on the offensive side of the ball, but has that been a trend that has continued over this season?

"I've lined up in the slot a little bit trying to create some situations where I'm getting covered by the linebackers. Other than that I've been sticking to the defense."

With recruiting season in high gear Silcox has two clear cut leaders.

"Troy State and Southern Miss are still real high. Oklahoma State has been calling our coach a little bit, and Iowa the more I hear from the more I like them."

Overall, Troy has really started to distance themselves from the group, and Silcox feels it's a place that feels like home.

"Troy is leading. The area up there is great, and the coaches know all the players. I went to some bigger schools, and sometimes the coaches don't even know all the players names. I like that about Troy."

He's getting recruited by Ben Waltrip, and talked a little bit about how Waltrip fits in with the Troy program.

"Ben Waltrip is the linebacker coach, and he's a real good guy. He started out playing linebacker at Florida State, and then transferred to Troy. He really liked the area, and stayed up there."

Troy State is asking Silcox to make a move at the next level to a new position, but will the switch be one that Silcox embraces?

"They want me to play linebacker at the next level. I don't think it's going to be a problem. As long as I study up I should be fine making my reads. I don't think it'll be a problem. If I can make the transition I might be better there, because
I can be more aggressive. Most of the other teams aren't really recruiting me for a specific position, but I'm not looking to play a specific position. I just want to play college football."

Earlier this year Silcox was looking at two of the states big schools, but that's changed now that recruiting has had time to feel itself out some.

"I'm not looking at Florida, but with Florida State being so close they're always going to be a possibility."

Thats the best news I've heard in a while. Hopefully he will commit in the next couple of weeks :D

ksdtrojan
10-24-2005, 10:52 AM
That is good news. I think he will commit in a couple of weeks as well.

CattouseFan
10-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Cory Silcox scouting video. Check it out.

http://sunshinepreps.net/content/view/64/2/

westflorida
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Silcox has 111 tackles through 9 games and lead his team to a 3rd district title in a row the other night.

westflorida
10-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Good friends with Silcox and his family, Southern Miss is pushing hard for him to go ahead and committ to them.

CattouseFan
10-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Your probably right but with the latest news (5 days ago) that I posted above he says that Troy has really distanced itself ahead of the other schools he is looking at.

westflorida
10-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Im with you, I think that he will verbally committ to Troy very soon. What do you think his playing time would look like if he went to Troy? Its interesting that early in the process FSU was one of his favorites and if he goes to Troy he will get to play against them.

CattouseFan
10-30-2005, 11:15 PM
I think he would start very soon. His favorite school is FSU because he lives just a couple of miles from there. He is very powerful from what I have seen. He had 41 bench press reps at the Talahassee Nike camp which is more than anyone there including QB Tim Tebow who had 38. I think he could make an immediate impact.

ksdtrojan
10-31-2005, 02:48 PM
FS COREY SILCOX^ 5-11, 211, 4.5, of Blountstown, FL - Silcox is a very good two-way, two-year starter. As a freshman, he started as a cornerback and then as a sophomore, he started as a free safety and a tailback. Last season, he helped his team win the District Championship as he recorded 69 solo tackles, 70 assisted tackles, rushed for 358-yards, and caught passes for another 171-yards. He also scored 8 touchdowns. This kid has super strength for a young guy as he has bench pressed 325-pounds and squated 450-pounds. This summer, he improved his forty time from a 4.6 to a 4.5 and he also did an amazing 33 reps of 185-pounds on the bench press at a recent combine. I really think that this kid is going to be a very heavy recruited player when he is a senior. I think that his best position could be on defense at either a safety or maybe even a linebacker position. He carries a good 2.5 GPA and he has already scored an impressive 21 on his ACT Test. His favorites include Florida State, Central Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Louisville, and Troy State. SEPTEMBER 15, 2004 UPDATE: In his first two games as a junior, Silcox had recorded 20 tackles , 2 interceptions, and had 2 force fumbles. MAY 13, 2005 UPDATE: Silcox had sensational NIKE CAMP at Tallahassee when he had a 93.1 SPARQ RATING. This was the second best at the Camp behind Tim Tebow. He also did 41 reps on the 185 pound bench press. He finished his junior year with 123 tackles, 16 pass breakups, 7 interceptions, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 sacks. He now weighs 215 pounds. Offers: Southern Miss and Troy State.

From Max Emfinger web site

westflorida
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
They have a senior clip of Corey Silcox on sunshineprep that just came up. http://www.sunshinepreps.net/

TrojanWar
11-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know if this guy made it to the game? I'm glad we played well just in case.

CoreySilcox34
11-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Hello everyone this is Corey Silcox, yes I did make it to the game and I was very impressed with the verical passing game Troy had.

TrojanWar
11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I was very impressed with Foster at QB. He makes some mistakes, but how many true freshman don't? He seems to get much better every game and if he continues to improve, I think he could be the future of the new Troy offense.

Were you able to see much of the campus and athletic facilities? What did you think of the stadium for an up and coming D1A school? The crowd could have been better for homecoming, but it was not terrible either.

We expect to see you on the field (or at least the sidelines) next year against Alabama State to open the season. We as fans will do whatever it takes to get you to play for Troy (within NCAA regulations of course). Ask any questions you want answered. Remember, you are more than likely going to get a straight answer from the fans of a school than the coaches trying to get you to play for them. That goes for any school at any level. Thanks for posting on this fan forum. I promise you will be a favorite of the posters just for taking the time to do so.

CoreySilcox34
11-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Ive been up around the school a couple of times and I am very impressed with everything. Ive been to Florida, Florida State, Auburn and many other schools and this one is going to be just as impressive in a short time. The weightroom is one of the best ive seen!

CattouseFan
11-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Corey's team won on Friday 35 - 21. They scored 21 in the 4th quarter to come from behind. Blountstown now plays at Ocala Trinity Catholic in Class 2B state semifinal.

BMarkey
11-19-2005, 04:14 PM
The state title games are in Miami this year - Joe Robbie Stadium (actually closer to Fort Lauderdale)and FIU Community Stadium. Mauybe I'll go and shoot some pics of Troy's soon-to-be-standout.

CoreySilcox34
11-26-2005, 01:11 PM
I hate to tell everyone this but Troy has withdrew their offer and decided to go with an in-state guy. Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone.

CattouseFan
11-26-2005, 01:29 PM
I am sorry to hear that Corey. I was looking forward to seeing you play at Troy. However, I am sure that you will do well with the college you decide to go to. Best of luck to you.

BMarkey
11-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Please tell me this is a joke, right? What, there is an Alabama quota now? I thought Troy was a "Global University"!

Is that the reason why the Troy coaching staff can't seem to go south of Lake City, where most of the talent lives?

Please tell me this thread is a bad dream.

I hope something happens to get you to Troy, Corey. Good luck.

kiwan
11-27-2005, 11:47 AM
You mean we are recruiting players from Alabama now????????