PDA

View Full Version : Troy's recruiting

TrojanLB08
05-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Hey guys, i was checking out our conference recruiting rankings and it just seemed odd to me that we were ranked #7 in our conference. Considering our program's achievements and accomplishments the past couple of years, i don't understand why we are not bringing in higher caliber players? I put the link below for y'all to check out, but i just want to hear everyone's opinion on our recruiting compared to other teams in our conference.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/SBELT/all

MusicMan
05-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Stars aren't always what they're made out to be, both in recruiting and on the field. A player can have all the stars they want, but if they can't make the cut academically then they do us no good. I think the guys we have pulled this off-season are going to shock some people and will definitely be more than 2 star players

Tums
05-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey guys, i was checking out our conference recruiting rankings and it just seemed odd to me that we were ranked #7 in our conference. Considering our program's achievements and accomplishments the past couple of years, i don't understand why we are not bringing in higher caliber players? I put the link below for y'all to check out, but i just want to hear everyone's opinion on our recruiting compared to other teams in our conference.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/SBELT/all

You have to remember that these rankings include alot of bs. Montrell Conner for instance had as many stars as General Patton in 2009.

tenaciousT
05-12-2011, 10:42 PM
If I remember correctly, Scouts Inc has us ranked #1. So that tells ya what kind of stock to put in the rankings.

TrojanLB08
05-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I agree with y'all and i don't want everyone to take it the wrong way...i know alot of the guy's we bring in are good and some under-rated, i just read the thing i guess and it kind of threw me off guard a little bit. At the same time tho, i do feel we could recruit alot better than we have in recent yr's and as far as what we have this year it seems we are progressing.

gotu
05-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Showing us with 22 players must mean they did not consider JUCO's and other transfers. That is a glaring mistake when trying to compare recruits, especially at TU.

Hemi Man
05-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Showing us with 22 players must mean they did not consider JUCO's and other transfers. That is a glaring mistake when trying to compare recruits, especially at TU.

We only signed 22 this year. 25 and 85 are the only numbers that matter.

trojanbrutha
05-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Before one of our nice mods moves this to the "recruiting" board, the main thing in recruiting is: do the coaches get the players they want? That seems to be fairly evident that they're getting more of the players they want and losing fewer of the big ticket recruits...They feel the new building will help land a few more of the big fish, so to speak...

ThePowerMan
05-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Another thing to remember is LB has this gift for finding jewels-in-the-rough. The guys noone thought they had what it takes to play BCS football.....let along the NFL.

We'll be ok whereever recruiting analysis puts us.

redwaver
05-13-2011, 08:35 PM
LB was just at our golf event last night and today and I can assure everyone he is committed to some great goals (BCS bowl) and finishing the stadium. In fact he said that he wanted to see the stadium plans completed before he leaves/retires. You could just hear enthusiasm in his voice and I don't see how any kid with a speck of pride could not love playing for this man. He talked about JJ and said he was the best football player he has ever seen and that included everybody in all his years in coaching. One great guy to have in your corner as a player. He recruits needs not just players and "goto" is correct, some sites do not include juco players coming in. I think he really likes this years class of kids.

dgoebel
05-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I could not agree more on this. I wish I could have played for Coach Blakney, although Coach Rhodes was a great man also. It is hard to question LB as a recruiter, the man is a winner and he has done it with less than great facilities, a college with 7,000 students in a small town. He has done this and beaten Miss. State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Marshall, Ohio U., Bowling Green, Cincinnatti, U Conn., and scared the devil out of LSU twice, Florida State and others, not to mention beaten Sunbelt schools who are all bigger enrollement colleges in bigger cities. Guys like Brock Nutter, Osi, Demarcus, Boris Lee, Bear Woods, Tyler Clark, JJ, Leodis etc. were all either1 or 2 stars or walk ons. You can't put stars on heart, desire, and character and LB finds this. Plus, what I am most proud of is you just don't hear about off field instances with Troy players. Maybe the Gators could learn something from Troy.