PDA

View Full Version : Mauldin feels 'shoved away' by South Carolina (offered by Troy)

troyjohn06
02-24-2011, 12:46 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011/02/24/shoved-away-due-to-oversigning-lorenzo-mauldin-still-hopes-to-end-up-at-south-carolina/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting (click link for full story)

...Since last July, I knew Mauldin only as a name on a list, a good looking prospect who committed to play football for the Gamecocks before last season started. He wasn’t what you’d call “heavily recruited.” Mauldin got some long looks from Georgia Tech but ultimately received offers from only South Carolina, Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, South Alabama and Troy. He accepted the Gamecocks’ offer way back on July 23rd of last summer and really never bothered much with the recruiting thing again.

But Mauldin didn’t end up signing with South Carolina as expected. He found out via a letter faxed to his school the day before national signing day that the Gamecocks would not have room for him in their Class of 2011. South Carolina signed 31 players on national signing day and added one more — Jadeveon Clowney, the nation’s No. 1 prospect — on Feb. 14th....

...In the meantime, Williams is seeing that his star player doesn’t sit around waiting in vain. Mauldin made an official visit to Louisville last weekend and he’s in the process of setting up a trip to Miami. Kentucky has also made inquiries about Mauldin’s possible availability and Troy has never stopped pursuing him. The national signing period for college football continues until April 1.“He would be a jewel for any them at this late date,” Williams said. “He’s the real deal.”

redwaver
02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Mauldin, the kid from Auburn.....can the athletic department or someone who knows all the true facts not give us a correct list of ALL new recruits for 2011 football. Also a list of those who have left. Simply, a correct list of 2011 potential players!!

trojanbrutha
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Mauldin, the kid from Auburn.....can the athletic department or someone who knows all the true facts not give us a correct list of ALL new recruits for 2011 football. Also a list of those who have left. Simply, a correct list of 2011 potential players!!

Usually, an unofficial roster comes out around summer practice. As you can see, there will be times when the coaches make decisions about certain players that they want to keep under-the-radar to give them a fresh start. Maybe "someone" could request a "comings-and-goings" list from the athletics dept.? :jester:

TheRomanHeart
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
For what its worth, I sent him a message on FB encouraging him for Troy. Maybe if we show him some fan support, it might do some good?!

Hemi Man
02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't believe that is legal if you are a booster.

trojanbrutha
02-24-2011, 04:03 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/jimbo056/Doh.png

TheRomanHeart
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm not a booster....
unless you count buying tickets for games and such and being a fan as a booster.

Buzz Lightyear
02-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm not a booster....
unless you count buying tickets for games and such and being a fan as a booster.

Yep you are a booster and I am sure that you misspelled his name and never actually contacted him at all right?

trojanbrutha
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm sure there is something that's referenced about this in the "Compliance" thread...you should think about perusing that thread...

Discophobia
02-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Wow, what a screw job by SC! You have to feel for this kid, I dont know where he will end up, but I wish him success.....unless it is against us.

TheRomanHeart
02-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm sure there is something that's referenced about this in the "Compliance" thread...you should think about perusing that thread...

No need. My message to him saying "hope you consider Troy" is benign and innocuous and I doubt the NCAA will have their ire raised by it. You folks apparently know what you should and should not do, so you can do what you need to do.

trojanbrutha
02-25-2011, 03:57 PM
No need. My message to him saying "hope you consider Troy" is benign and innocuous and I doubt the NCAA will have their ire raised by it. You folks apparently know what you should and should not do, so you can do what you need to do.

The bigger message should be that you know what you should and should not do...just sayin...

TheRomanHeart
02-25-2011, 05:37 PM
*shrug*..if "just saying" makes you feel better. Sleep tight tonight.

trojanbrutha
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
*shrug*..if "just saying" makes you feel better. Sleep tight tonight.

L-4zfsy6rsM

Hemi Man
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM

You might be surprised at what the NCAA will say and do.

reded
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
You might be surprised at what the NCAA will say and do.
You're right about that, Hemi. That is one anal retentive group of people.

Hemi Man
02-25-2011, 10:30 PM
You're right about that, Hemi. That is one anal retentive group of people.

Yes sir. They certainly are that.

I would like to see the university at least once a year have a little get together for Trojan Warriors and season ticket holders outlining compliance rules. I know they couldn't cover it all, but they could hit the high points and basics.

pelliott
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
love to have him

Troy79
03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
We won't have to worry about violating any NCAA rules as Lorenzo Mauldin, former South Carolina commitment, signed a LOI with Louisville last month.

TheRomanHeart
03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I never batted an eye anyway over the NCAA or forum posters.

Tums
03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm not a booster....

It is my understanding that if you purchase Season Tickets in any sport that you would be considered a booster.

Other things of Note:
If you have joined in any Club that promotes a given Team or Atheletic program. I do not know if this site falls under that one or not. I do know that previous contributions have been made in the name of this site. We even took up donations here for Palladium Trophy that is awarded. Also a sub note to that is at anytime if you ever make a donation that makes you a booster for life as far as the NCAA is concerned. It does not matter if it was $20 20 years ago or a part of a raffle ticket fund raiser.

Also If you have ever come into any contact with a student athlete and provided a benefit then you are a Booster.

The NCAA almost needs a Cult sign for a symbol with the way they make Billions off of student athletes and keep it away from them at the same time.

Tums
03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Boosters CANNOT

... have any "recruiting" contact with prospects or their families. That includes phone calls, letters, emails and face-to-face meetings.
... provide financial aid of any kind or in any amount (clothing, discounts, gifts, transportation, loans, etc.) to prospects or their relatives.
... have any contact with a prospect or his/her parents during an official or unofficial recruiting visit
... contact any recruit to offer congratulations on the signing of a National Letter of Intent
... employ or arrange for the employment of any prospect before the completion of his/her senior year
... provide anything to a prospect or prospect's family or friends without approval from the school compliance office

Boosters CAN

... forward information about prospects to a member of the coaching staff
... attend a prospect's games, provided the booster does so on their own initiative and pays his/her own way
... speak to prospects via telephone -- but only if the prospect initiates the call. Even in such a case, boosters may not discuss recruiting, and must refer any recruiting questions to the team staff

Hemi Man
03-29-2011, 02:57 PM

I can assure you the compliance office takes these things seriously. Even if you choose not to do so.

Tums
03-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Recruiting, Boosters and the Internet
NCAA regulations treat Internet and social media contact the same way they treat email... an email saying "please attend Big State" would be a major no-no, as would sending the same message to a prospect via Twitter, or creating a "Jim Smith should attend Big State" group on Facebook.

moosicman
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
What makes a booster?

PCTrojan
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Is a student a booster?

If I am not mistaken it is a common case to have students from a university inundate prospects facebooks trying to get them to come to their school and showing them love.

The schools do not ask for this but it happened nonetheless.

I have never heard of a school being suspended or punished for something like that.

Hemi Man
03-29-2011, 06:30 PM
What makes a booster?

NCAA Rules and Regulations
Who is a "Representative of Athletic Interests?"
A "representative of the institution's athletics interest" (i.e., athletic supporter/ booster) is anyone who engages in any of the following activities:

* participating as a member in any of the various Athletic Department booster groups, Alumni Groups or the Troy University Foundation.
* making a donation to Troy Athletics or an institutional booster club.
* arranging for summer or vacation employment for student-athletes.
* purchasing season tickets in any sport.
* assisting in the recruitment of prospects.
* promoting Troy Athletics in any manner.

According to NCAA rules, once an individual has been identified as an institutional "representative of athletics interests" the individual retains that title for life. Troy University is ultimately responsible for the acts of all "representatives of athletics interests" in relation to NCAA rules and regulations.

Better Safe Than Sorry
Compliance with NCAA regulations is of the highest priority for our athletic program and institution. We need your assistance in complying with NCAA rules. Don't put the University, a prospective student-athlete or an enrolled student-athlete at risk of a penalty or loss of eligibility. Inquires should be addressed to:

Kit Alewine
Director of Compliance
Troy University Athletics
Davis Field House
Troy, Alabama 36082
Office: 334-670-5650 / Fax: 334-670-3278
Email: calewine@troy.edu

http://www.troytrojans.com/sports/2010/6/30/Compliance.aspx?tab=compliance

CHughes1102
03-29-2011, 09:09 PM

So is this the new guy who isn't mean enough to be a troll, but is a bit too weird and cocky to be normal?

TroyTuba
03-30-2011, 08:54 AM
NCAA Rules and Regulations
Who is a "Representative of Athletic Interests?"
A "representative of the institution's athletics interest" (i.e., athletic supporter/ booster) is anyone who engages in any of the following activities:

* participating as a member in any of the various Athletic Department booster groups, Alumni Groups or the Troy University Foundation.
* making a donation to Troy Athletics or an institutional booster club.
* arranging for summer or vacation employment for student-athletes.
* purchasing season tickets in any sport.
* assisting in the recruitment of prospects.
* promoting Troy Athletics in any manner.

According to NCAA rules, once an individual has been identified as an institutional "representative of athletics interests" the individual retains that title for life. Troy University is ultimately responsible for the acts of all "representatives of athletics interests" in relation to NCAA rules and regulations.

Better Safe Than Sorry
Compliance with NCAA regulations is of the highest priority for our athletic program and institution. We need your assistance in complying with NCAA rules. Don't put the University, a prospective student-athlete or an enrolled student-athlete at risk of a penalty or loss of eligibility. Inquires should be addressed to:

Kit Alewine
Director of Compliance
Troy University Athletics
Davis Field House
Troy, Alabama 36082
Office: 334-670-5650 / Fax: 334-670-3278
Email: calewine@troy.edu

http://www.troytrojans.com/sports/2010/6/30/Compliance.aspx?tab=compliance

That is way to broad and open to interpretation....... I make my status on Facebook from time to time about being supportive of our teams which promotes the university in my estimation. Guess if I tell the NCAA to sit on it they will flag me and camp out in front of my house and follow me around "investigating" my support for Troy.

CHughes1102
03-30-2011, 08:58 AM
That is way to broad and open to interpretation....... I make my status on Facebook from time to time about being supportive of our teams which promotes the university in my estimation. Guess if I tell the NCAA to sit on it they will flag me and camp out in front of my house and follow me around "investigating" my support for Troy.

That would be hilarious actually hahaha.

Hemi Man
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM

While I would agree that the rules are open to a lot of possible interpretation, I wouldn't be angry over being considered a booster. If that is the only thing that qualifies you as a booster then you could buy season tickets or donate to the Trojan Warrior program and remove all the doubt. If you do have questions though, I'm sure the compliance office would be happy to answer them. The University has to paint it with a broad brush to cover and areas that might me considered iffy. It has to be black and white with no gray areas.

TroyTuba
03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
I totally understand and I'm not trying to insinuate in any way that this is Troy's fault (they are just being cautious, with good reason), but the NCAA is wound so tight they could eat coal and poop diamonds.......