PDA

View Full Version : SI article on Grayshirting - Letter from Florida President

RDA Trojan
02-01-2011, 02:17 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/31/bernard.machen.letter/index.html?eref=sihp

For most young people, the decision on where to attend college is one of life's most important events. It involves analysis and contemplation by the student and a contract of acceptance (and scholarship in the case of student-athletes) by the institution.
Once this contract is agreed to there is a great joy and it represents the beginning of a new journey for the student. It is a life-changing event.
Imagine the feeling if the student finds out, literally a few months before enrolling, that the institution is backing out of the contract. It is too late in the summer to go back to one's second choice. The student is told he will have to wait until next year. Sorry, but no acceptance, no scholarship. That's it

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/31/bernard.machen.letter/index.html#ixzz1Cji9AOS1

RDA Trojan
02-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure how to feel on this one. I think it goes hand in hand with the oversigning, which some frown upon. I think it is a huge gamble on both sides. You know some players might not qualify, so you'd be stupid to only sign the exact number of players as you have spots available. I think this is the other side of that one. You end up with too many eligible kids and nowhere to put them all.

reded
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
The article is grossly inaccurate. The right honorable president of FU, looks at gray shirting as practiced by Coach Urban Meyer and other SEC coaches . He's right, it is a moral contract and if a delayed entry grant in aid is disclosed to the athlete prior to acceptance and is honored at the appropriate time,then the practice is honest and acceptable. LB has stood by all of his gray shirt signings. The delayed entry grant in aid is utilized by Troy in order to take advantage of an opportunity to sign late qualifiers and/or to develop talent in players that have not matured to the point that they are able to compete at this level. For example, Boris Lee was a late qualifier, by extending him a delayed entry grant in aid, we were able to sign a very talented athlete without having to place him in the junior college system. These players come to school early on a part time basis, work out informally with the team in the summer then continue build their bodies and get used to the college environment before entering school for the spring semester. There is a bonus in that the gray shirt gets an extra spring camp . Corey Robinson, I believe only had two FBS offers, Troy and Ole Miss and if I'm not wrong Ole Miss withdrew the scholarship when their coach was fired. This player had raw talent but his body as well as his talent were not matured. After accepting a gray shirt, Corey also was red shirted and the results speak for themselves, a twenty year old freshman that was ready to step on to the field and compete. Would this have been possible without a gray shirt? I doubt it. Both parties benefited from this practice. An issue isn't an issue if it doesn't have two or more positions. JMO

Troy87
02-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Another example of this is Luke Barnes, the QB from FWB. Luke committed to Troy early on in his senior season. He got a season ending knee injury that year. He was still offered, and was grayshirted. He has spent the time since then re-habing the knee, and going to school. He is now on campus this semester, and will be participating in Spring Practice. Without this grayshirt, he would have lost eligibilty, and would have had four years to play four. Now he will still have five years to play four, and he may be the heir-apparent for when Corey is done, with two years to play.

The Messenger
02-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I personally think he needs to worry more about not having so many players arrested.

reded
02-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I personally think he needs to worry more about not having so many players arrested.
I agree. The author of the article only addressed the practice when it is abusive,dishonest,or done with a "win at any cost attitude. He failed to mention that if done right, can be of benefit to everyone. Coach does not give gray shirts randomly or with out forethought or notice. He further has a 100% record when it comes to honoring these scholarship commitments.The only thing that the Florida administration is concerned about is surreptitiously arranging bail for these guys so they can be ready for the game on Saturday.