PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Troy

Redshawk
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Hey everybody. I'm new here, but I've been looking around the forums for a while now. I was raised an Alabama fan since I was young, but everything changed in 2007, when my parents took me to my first Troy game, to watch the Trojans blow out the MUTS (also to watch my brother play in the SOTS). Ever since then I've been changed, and became a Trojan, going to at least a game a year. (I'm always broke and always busy, having a job and being a full time student) I totally decided that I wanted to go to Troy when I was a senior in high school when my high school baseball team went to play in the Terry Sikes memorial tournament (I played against B.J. Chitty :D ) when we got to tour the campus, and this is when I fell in love with it. Unfortunately my grades weren't high enough for a scholarship and my father recently passed away, so I decided to stay close to home and go to Lurleen B. Wallace CC, to try and pull my grades up and eventually get a scholarship.

So I am planning on going to school at Troy next year as a transfer student, and I have some questions about the housing, and I am hoping that yall can help answer them for me.

1) I was wondering what experience that yall had (or having now) staying in the dorms.
2) Are they nice?
3) Are they worth the money?
4) What about staying in an appartment around the campus?
5) Which from your personal experience is the best (between apartment and dorm)?
6) Also if I'm getting a dorm, how much longer should I wait before I put in a application to a dorm?
7) And hows the cafeteria over there?

Thanks if yall can help out in any way.

GO TROY!

gotu
02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey everybody. I'm new here, but I've been looking around the forums for a while now. I was raised an Alabama fan since I was young, but everything changed in 2007, when my parents took me to my first Troy game, to watch the Trojans blow out the MUTS (also to watch my brother play in the SOTS). Ever since then I've been changed, and became a Trojan, going to at least a game a year. (I'm always broke and always busy, having a job and being a full time student) I totally decided that I wanted to go to Troy when I was a senior in high school when my high school baseball team went to play in the Terry Sikes memorial tournament (I played against B.J. Chitty :D ) when we got to tour the campus, and this is when I fell in love with it. Unfortunately my grades weren't high enough for a scholarship and my father recently passed away, so I decided to stay close to home and go to Lurleen B. Wallace CC, to try and pull my grades up and eventually get a scholarship.

So I am planning on going to school at Troy next year as a transfer student, and I have some questions about the housing, and I am hoping that yall can help answer them for me.

1) I was wondering what experience that yall had (or having now) staying in the dorms.
2) Are they nice?
3) Are they worth the money?
4) What about staying in an appartment around the campus?
5) Which from your personal experience is the best (between apartment and dorm)?
6) Also if I'm getting a dorm, how much longer should I wait before I put in a application to a dorm?
7) And hows the cafeteria over there?

Thanks if yall can help out in any way.

GO TROY!

1. Better student life experience.
2. Some yes, some no.
3. Yes.
4. Apartments are not good for first year students.
5. Dorm then move to an apartment later if you like.
6. The sooner the better. There are waiting lists.
7. Good.

PCTrojan
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Good luck getting into the dorms anyways... We have moved to a housing lottery and there are approximately 2,000 applicants for an available 850 beds...

So take that for what you will

Redshawk
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Good luck getting into the dorms anyways... We have moved to a housing lottery and there are approximately 2,000 applicants for an available 850 beds...

So take that for what you will

With that many people applying for a dorm wouldn't the university want to build more dorms? Unless they already are, but I haven't heard anything.

MusicMan
02-01-2011, 11:19 PM
There's three projects going on, with more projects slated to be started in the summer, aka the new band room. There are a total of 2000 bed spaces with only 850 UPPERCLASSMEN getting rooms, the other 1150 are slated for incoming freshmen. Now, since you're going to be a transfer student, I'm not sure how that would work for you, but if you don't have a housing application in, I'm not sure you'd get into a dorm room. The university may try to sell you on Troy Place and The Grove, but they overcharge. If you're going to get an apartment, get one that's not for college people, but one that is for the community at large. I'm at Willow Terrace and love it.
Back to topic, I heard there are plans to renovate Alumni but I'm not sure how far that will go

troy4ever21
02-01-2011, 11:33 PM
As far as the cafeteria goes you'll be fine because the new dining hall should open just in time of the fall semester. :thumb:

CardinalBlackTrojan
02-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Hope you enjoy Troy!! I know I did!

If you go the apartment route, I recently stayed at Trojan Arms, and i would recommend it. It's roughly a mile away from campus on the other side of Highway 231.. so you can't exactly walk to class or ride a bike to class without crossing the highway... but it is a very nice apartment complex inside and out. it's one of the cheaper complexes as well. best of all, there isn't much trouble there because it's on the "good side" of town.. so it's pretty safe. the Troy student bus makes stops at the complex as well.

Trojan1stDown
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I lived in Hunter's Mountain for the 3 years that I went to Troy and I really enjoyed it. The management can get pretty strict on things but I guess that is how they keep so clean and nice. It is probably the nicest trailor park I have ever seen. The only down side is trying to find one to rent for cheap. I bought mine and that worked out pretty well, probably the only place a mobile home doesn't depreciate over 3 years. You don't really get the entire student experience like you would by living on campus, but it usually takes less than 10 minutes to get to the university.

Redshawk
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the help.

I also want to ask if yall know anything about the scholarship information off the top of your heads. Since I'm transferring from a Community College, there's not really any scholarships for me try and obtain. My major is going to be History Education with a minor in Physical Education. Since I'm in going to be in the Physical Education department, does Troy give out scholarships to student assistants on the athletic teams? And if yall know anything off the top of yalls heads about some good Troy scholarships I could obtain, please share!

Thanks again guys, yall are the best, and GO TROY!