PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have BB recruiting problems

redwaver
01-31-2011, 02:28 PM
OK, time to ask! You win or lose future games during recruiting! In recruiting for football and even baseball you have to find a lot of top layer players to be competitive in our division and the coaches in these sports at Troy have done an outstanding job and we are competitive year in year out. Now basketball is a different story. You only have to find a few very good players each signing period to be consistantly competitive in this division yet in basketball (men and women) we seem to only be competitive occasionally. Look at the universities you have never heard of who continually win in basketball at the highest level. They seem to find great players every year and they don't have a big BB school name either like Duke, NC, Michigan, Kansas, etc., etc.. Do we have a recruiting problem in these sports at Troy? Seems so much easier to sign a outstanding class in basketball than football but our results at Troy are not comparable...not even close!! Are there plans to address this in years to come?
Edit/Delete Message

dgoebel
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
We have discussed this before on the board. Look at the facilities...Football has very nice stadium, weight room, locker room and training room. Our Baseball facility is as nice as anywhere, soccer facility is very nice and softball is ok. The problem I have always seen with basketball is Sartain. It is small, dated, cramped and old. Most every school around has nicer basketball facilities and that includes several DII schools. I really believe the new arena will be a step in the right direction and definetely gives the BB coaches something to sell other than the campus.

trojanbrutha
01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
In these days of glitz andbling, kids aren't just coming to play for TROY for name recognition. Sartain Hall is a relic and I thank the Lord for the players and coaches that have made the commitment they have. To catch up with the other schools in the league and the area, it was very important to be on par or better than them to attract more athletes to the program.

dgoebel
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Very well said.

redwaver
01-31-2011, 03:55 PM
I am new to the blog so I have no idea what has been discussed before so I accept the responses and, like everyone else, will wait for the new arena that will solve this BB problem....I/we hope!

ThePowerMan
01-31-2011, 04:28 PM
You would think there would be plenty of recruits out there that just don't get picked up by the Big League Teams. Where do they go? Heck, there are 85 scholarship players on a football team and a dozen on a basketball team. So, logic says there should be an abundance of quality BB players out there that don't get recruited. So, is it the recruiter?

Each year we watch the football team pick up some sleepers that LB sees as "potential Talent". So could there be some sleepers out there that DM is not flippin-over-rocks to find? Heck with all the media (youtube, facebook, etc), you would think it would be easier to turn-over-rocks.

I don't follow the BB too much but I know we were very competitive in the 90's. Same coach ...... same arena (even alittle better now). So what's up?

trojanbrutha
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Same arena...over 20 yrs ago was a DII arena. There are DII arenas that are much better than the concrete box. It's nothing you can recruit to now and we've been fortunate to get some of the players we have...

redwaver
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Well said! We will wait and see if it IS the arena! LB did a darn good job before renavations to the stadium and so did Coach Pierce with baseball so we will wait for the arena and we will find out if that is our problem. Let's hope so!!!

dgoebel
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Sartain was built in 1965. And yes it was a DII arena when I was at Troy, and Jax. St. and Valdosta, and Delta State all had nicer, newer arenas. Now with the internet, prospects can view a schools facilities without visiting the school, so that makes it a tough sell sometimes. Now with a brand new, state of the art arena, we will have the bling factor. Come to Troy and play in a brand new arena. Sounds better than come to Troy and play in a 46 year old, small, cramped, dated facility. Troy had a nice facility in football when we were DII and 1-AA and Pace Field has always been a great baseball facility. Facilities do matter in this day and age.

trojanbrutha
01-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Well said! We will wait and see if it IS the arena! LB did a darn good job before renavations to the stadium and so did Coach Pierce with baseball so we will wait for the arena and we will find out if that is our problem. Let's hope so!!!

Ok, redwaver...say what you really want to say and stop beating around the bush. Don't let anyone fill in the blank for you...

redwaver
01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Sartain was built in 1965. And yes it was a DII arena when I was at Troy, and Jax. St. and Valdosta, and Delta State all had nicer, newer arenas. Now with the internet, prospects can view a schools facilities without visiting the school, so that makes it a tough sell sometimes. Now with a brand new, state of the art arena, we will have the bling factor. Come to Troy and play in a brand new arena. Sounds better than come to Troy and play in a 46 year old, small, cramped, dated facility. Troy had a nice facility in football when we were DII and 1-AA and Pace Field has always been a great baseball facility. Facilities do matter in this day and age.
When I played at Pace Field it was a dump and we won the conference two years and finished second the third year. There are good players out there. We only had 5 scholarships to split up and we competed with bigger schoools for talent and some of our best players got no financial help. Three signed pro contracts and one made the major leagues. I know times have changed but IF you work hard you can find those "diamonds in the rough". They do exist. You would only have to find a few to turn a BB program around. Granted kids today are spoiled but not all kids are sold by all the "glitz"!

reded
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Basketball is primarily(Indiana being a major exception) an urban game. Generally the overlooked kids are city kids. Recruiting these inner city guys to a small town environment is much tougher than recruiting them to schools like UAB,Memphis, USA,Georgia State etc. In my opinion this is the reason we recruit JUCO players. High school players from large cities do not want to live in a small town environment. This is just my opinion .

redwaver
01-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Ok, redwaver...say what you really want to say and stop beating around the bush. Don't let anyone fill in the blank for you...
Don't need help. Also don't make excuses. Just agree with The Power Man that there are players out there that are better than what we have shown and some are still sitting home. I seldom hear of a player being recruited by Troy from high schools in the Florida panhandle as an example. It may be the arena, I will give you that. We shall see. Oh by the way, prior to Sartain we had Wright Hall and that was a disaster....we won the conference and led the nation in scoring in Wright Hall but that was before 1970, before "glitz" and that part of Troy's athletic history has been "put away" by enlarge (which I think explains Sherill Busby's never ending "I'm dead post"- he WAS a great player who is seldom mentioned) Sartain Hall was a great improvement. We do need a new arena bad, I give you that and I hope you are right that that will bring in a different level of talent......kids that will play for a great education at a great university and not just "glitz"!

redwaver
01-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Basketball is primarily(Indiana being a major exception) an urban game. Generally the overlooked kids are city kids. Recruiting these inner city guys to a small town environment is much tougher than recruiting them to schools like UAB,Memphis, USA,Georgia State etc. In my opinion this is the reason we recruit JUCO players. High school players from large cities do not want to live in a small town environment. This is just my opinion .
You are probably right! They don't know what they are missing!!!

dgoebel
01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
That is where the bling of a new facility helps. No high school prospect wants to play in college in subpar facilities. That was a big reason I didn't go to Valdosta State when they recruited me. The played in a high school stadium and there on campus facilities were terrible. I take my visit to Troy and they have a nice stadium and football facilities. That and I fell in love with the campus but who couldn't fall in love with Troy when you set foot on campus? Evidently basketball players.

redwaver
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
That is where the bling of a new facility helps. No high school prospect wants to play in college in subpar facilities. That was a big reason I didn't go to Valdosta State when they recruited me. The played in a high school stadium and there on campus facilities were terrible. I take my visit to Troy and they have a nice stadium and football facilities. That and I fell in love with the campus but who couldn't fall in love with Troy when you set foot on campus? Evidently basketball players.
I totally agree, it will help! Troy will still be a small town program.......but so is Wake Forest and some other big name schools. I don't see us playing competitively against SEC types schools on a regular basis but we should be able to compete in the Sun Belt REGULARLY. In my coaching I have just seen some very good BB players that never heard a word from Troy in the past. Just a thought....and I do love Troy. Wonder why so many Troy grads give their support and money to other schools like Bama, Auburn, FSU, etc. Burns me up ! HA!!

troyjohn06
01-31-2011, 09:19 PM
it could be a number of things....the main thing that i feel always gets overlooked is the quality of high school basketball in this state. auburn and alabama basketball are not exactly world beaters. uab does well, but they are in a bigger city.

so, if there is not an importance placed on high school basketball in the area, the coaches likely have to look elsewhere for quality players. that's where the rural location of Troy comes in. and the facilities. coach masteri has done well with what he's been given. honestly, i can't imagine having to recruit for Troy basketball, can't be easy.

Cane gone Trojan
02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE= Wonder why so many Troy grads give their support and money to other schools like Bama, Auburn, FSU, etc. Burns me up ! HA!![/QUOTE]

You have to be highly intelligent to understand TRUE PRIDE!

RDA Trojan
02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Facilities are a huge part of it. I went to a birthday party a couple of weekends ago that was held at the Pete Hanna center on Samford's campus. That was a sweet little setup for basketball.

http://samfordsports.cstv.com/facilities/samf-seiberthall.html

Check out all the pics linked at the bottom of that page. It wasn't massive, but it was well laid out and very nice.

Da Scout
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I agree. What did people expect this year? Troy lost all senior starters from a championship team.The returning players who are seniors were not major contributors who didn't play many minutes, a very tough pre season schedule mostly on the road, no easy games except the first one. You expect them to lose against all sec teams, uab, Utah state, western Kentucky, Georgia state is always tough, north Texas who they beat preseason fav. I thought 10 wins before the season would be good. The players that troy has, play extremely hard. I think that the players this year deserve a lot of credit for not throwing in the towel like some of the fans.