PDA

View Full Version : interesting article on internet anonymity

Mike Cunningham
01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Online civility -- it if ever existed -- has withered up and died. And it's only getting worse.
"It's about consequences, and not suffering from any," says Jacqueline Whitmore, an etiquette expert and founder of etiquetteexpert.com. "There are absolutely no repercussions to writing a nasty comment or e-mail, so people feel they can vent at will. They never think that the person receiving the message might be a real human being."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/21/pearlman.online.civility/index.html

Discophobia
01-21-2011, 01:50 PM
About what I would expect from CNN....everyone is so mean, blah, blah, blah cant we all just get along. If we only could see each other and talk then there would be no fighting, no wars and it would be wonderful....just never mind all of the violence that has taken place throughout pre internet history. CNN is a disgrace to journalism......oh wait, through my cloak of anonimity I attacked them.:redface:

FoulPolePhenom
01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
About what I would expect from CNN....everyone is so mean, blah, blah, blah cant we all just get along. If we only could see each other and talk then there would be no fighting, no wars and it would be wonderful....just never mind all of the violence that has taken place throughout pre internet history. CNN is a disgrace to journalism......oh wait, through my cloak of anonimity I attacked them.:redface:

He is actually a SI writer, same company I know but does not truly write for CNN

Hemi Man
01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Interesting article. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but there are good points in it. When you attack someone or there family while hiding behind a keyboard you think you are safe from any repercussions. However, I would think if someone wanted to confront you personally about a matter they could find you. Good rule of thumb would be if you wouldn't say it to their face don't type it. Don't attack people or their family. You can have disagreements without going to that level.

TU94
01-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Let me see....I would guess you're a big FOX News Fan. :redface:

Discophobia
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Let me see....I would guess you're a big FOX News Fan. :redface:

I watch FOX sometimes. Daphne, man you guys in Baldwin County have the market cornered right now on political scandel with all of that County Road 13, State Senator, County Commission, Mayor pushing for it when they all have a financial interest in the property, I look forward to reading the paper every morning to see what is going on next. Interesting stuff, at least it is a break from Nodines issues and the always ongoing problems here in Mobile.

TU94
01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I watch FOX sometimes. Daphne, man you guys in Baldwin County have the market cornered right now on political scandel with all of that County Road 13, State Senator, County Commission, Mayor pushing for it when they all have a financial interest in the property, I look forward to reading the paper every morning to see what is going on next. Interesting stuff, at least it is a break from Nodines issues and the always ongoing problems here in Mobile.

I hear ya, Dp! A lot of drama..things are definitely interesting here on the Eastern Shore.

moosicman
01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
http://bainbridgega.com/news/publish/012111topix.shtml

Harry Baker
01-25-2011, 07:39 AM
I would like to comment about this entire tread but I want to remain anonymous .