PDA

View Full Version : AmTrak to New Orleans?

RDA Trojan
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Have any of y'all done this for the Bowl games or otherwise? We'd be leaving from Birmingham. I thought I saw someone mention it around bowl time, but I don't remember who.

Discophobia
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I rode Amtrak a couple of times many years ago. Not bad for a short trip and would suggest everyone do it once to experience it (kinda neat) however, when you go on a longer trip it gets kinda old - you stop for what seems like every few miles, people get on and off.....wierd smells etc. basically a greyhound bus on a track. You should be ok going from Birmingham to New Orleans, however we already played our game there this year in case you missed it.

RDA Trojan
01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I rode Amtrak a couple of times many years ago. Not bad for a short trip and would suggest everyone do it once to experience it (kinda neat) however, when you go on a longer trip it gets kinda old - you stop for what seems like every few miles, people get on and off.....wierd smells etc. basically a greyhound bus on a track. You should be ok going from Birmingham to New Orleans, however we already played our game there this year in case you missed it.

Yeah, but that was LAST year! And besides, we'll call part of this trip "research" for a return trip in oh, about 11 months from now. The wife has never been down there, and we've also never taken a train trip. If she has a lot of fun, which, face it, we will, it will be that much easier to go back for future bowl games.

YJason
01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
There were rumors of the panhandle route opening back up. Has anyone heard any news?

RDA Trojan
01-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey Mike, feel free to remove this or take it to the Everything Else forum. I slipped up when I posted it. (But I did throw in the N.O. Bowl to keep it somewhat FB related!)

SOTS 86-89
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I took the train from Birmingham to New Orleans for the bowl game a few years ago. The trip down was cool as it was my first train trip. There were three of us that got two sleeper cars across from each other. Free meal during the trip in the dining car.

However, imagine my distress when I get a call Sunday afternoon from Amtrak informing me that there would be no train service on Monday, so they were going to bus us back to Birmingham (I drive the equipment truck when I travel with the band to AVOID bus trips!!!). Eventually ended renting a car and driving back to Birmingham. Amtrak did refund the cost of the return trip.

The train station in Birmingham is a DUMP though!!!!! I also didn't feel real good about leaving my truck in downtown B'ham for the weekend. With that being said, I'm glad that I took the trip...as I can say that I've traveled by train. It's NOT any faster, especially considering that I had to drive 2+ hours to get to B'ham. However, you're really leaving the driving to someone else...and they allow coolers and your own personal beverages to board the train with you.

Lowbacca
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
They also sell a few Adult Beverages as well. I've taken Amtrak from Birmingham heading north (then back to B'ham) on several occasions. Its better than a bus because you can walk around pretty much at will, there's a ton more legroom, and generally speaking its just more fun than driving yourself. At least for me... and for whatever reason I happen to like the smell of trains... I'm just odd like that, I guess.

Pcbtrojan
01-21-2011, 10:26 PM
There were rumors of the panhandle route opening back up. Has anyone heard any news?

The Orlando to New Orleans line was shut down when Katrina hit. Talks in 2007 went no where to re establish the line.

nasupporter
01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I took the train from Birmingham to New Orleans for the bowl game a few years ago. The trip down was cool as it was my first train trip. There were three of us that got two sleeper cars across from each other. Free meal during the trip in the dining car.

However, imagine my distress when I get a call Sunday afternoon from Amtrak informing me that there would be no train service on Monday, so they were going to bus us back to Birmingham (I drive the equipment truck when I travel with the band to AVOID bus trips!!!). Eventually ended renting a car and driving back to Birmingham. Amtrak did refund the cost of the return trip.

The train station in Birmingham is a DUMP though!!!!! I also didn't feel real good about leaving my truck in downtown B'ham for the weekend. With that being said, I'm glad that I took the trip...as I can say that I've traveled by train. It's NOT any faster, especially considering that I had to drive 2+ hours to get to B'ham. However, you're really leaving the driving to someone else...and they allow coolers and your own personal beverages to board the train with you.
Agree. The place looks like a dump. Do they have an area to park for your trip or do you park in a downtown garage? Have thought about the train trip before but unsure.

SOTS 86-89
01-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Agree. The place looks like a dump. Do they have an area to park for your trip or do you park in a downtown garage? Have thought about the train trip before but unsure.

I parked there at the train station. My truck was still all in one piece when we returned.

jagd1305
01-23-2011, 09:03 PM
I believe the particular train that AmTrak used for the NO run was the Crescent City. Of all the AmTrak trains, the CC was by far the best. It had the best accomodations, food etc...
I haven't been on it in a number of years but I remember that it was head and shoulders better than any of the other trains AmTrak ran.

Lowbacca
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Its just called the Crescent (The Crescent City is a Nickname for New Orleans). Its was once called the Southern Crescent with endpoints in NO and DC, but when Amtrak took the route over it extended the Northern endpoint to New York, so the name was simplified the The Crescent.