PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game to take place in Phenix City

FliryVorru
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Book your hotels, folks.

http://www.wltz.com/news/local/Troy-University-to-play-in-Phenix-City-114202339.html

Troy University to play in Phenix City
Christina Chambers

Story Created: Jan 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM CST
Story Updated: Jan 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM CST

Phenix City Manager Wallace Hunter kicked off Wednesday morning's city council meeting with the announcement that Troy University will play their spring football game at Garrett Harrison Stadium in Phenix City.

The team's first game at the stadium is set for March 19, 2011. Troy's athletic director and football coach were in council chambers for the announcement.

VT Trojan
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Is the University doing this as a way to increase the fan base and football game attendance? Get the local people their at the spring game, hope they have fun and will come to the home games?

FliryVorru
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Is the University doing this as a way to increase the fan base and football game attendance? Get the local people their at the spring game, hope they have fun and will come to the home games?

Seems like a logical conclusion. Will it work? Who knows. We'll have a good idea when we get the numbers on attendance at the game.

gotu
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Either that or they will be adding the dome this spring. Probably what you said.:wave:

Mike Cunningham
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Great idea in my opinion.

troy4ever21
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I think it's because Columbus, GA is right across the river. There are some great high school teams in Columbus (Carver is always in the state championship). Not to mention the rest of Georgia as far as recruiting goes.

gotu
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I think it's because Columbus, GA is right across the river. There are some great high school teams in Columbus (Carver is always in the state championship). Not to mention the rest of Georgia as far as recruiting goes.

I would hate if one one of our coaches "bumped" into a prospect.:jester:

ryan7907
01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
i dont like it. how long till we start playing regular season games there?

i dont the Barn playing scrimmages in Montgomery at AUM?

trojanbrutha
01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I mentioned to someone that I think it's a good idea. 1) You are doing what Dr. Hawkins is known to be and that's a go-getter; a trend-setter...2) You are trying to make your university more appealing to other conferences, down the road, and this may help in boosting your attendance...making the other students and alums feel a connection to the main campus can't be a bad thing...WWTP day on the road!

gotu
01-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I mentioned to someone that I think it's a good idea. 1) You are doing what Dr. Hawkins is known to be and that's a go-getter; a trend-setter...2) You are trying to make your university more appealing to other conferences, down the road, and this may help in boosting your attendance...making the other students and alums feel a connection to the main campus can't be a bad thing...WWTP day on the road!

I agree even though I do not know what WWTP means. :thumb:

Hemi Man
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM

I like your thought process, and hope that some of that does happen. However, I am personally against the idea of playing a spring scrimmage away from Troy. That being said I will be there.

trojanbrutha
01-19-2011, 08:58 PM

Aww man! gotu...World Wide Trojan Pride day is when they honor Trojans worldwide! It's usually one of the 1st home games...now you're ready if someone tries to slip that one by you in the future! :thumb:

FliryVorru
01-19-2011, 09:01 PM

I was there with ya, bro. I couldn't get Waste Water Treatment Plant out of my head after I googled it in futility.

SOTS 86-89
01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
I remember having this discussion in the past. Keep in mind that there are approximately 400,000 people within a 25 mile radius of Columbus/Phenix City...not to mention that there are two Troy campuses here (Phenix City and Ft. Benning/Columbus). This could be a way to generate some interest with a fan base that has a logical connection to Troy. Of course, I'm also being a little selfish because I'll only have to drive a few miles to get to the game:-).

NWFLTrojan
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
This was done several times in the late '80s and early '90s. Prattville used to host the spring game and then I believe we played one spring game in Phenix City.

BCTROJAN
01-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Not sure how I feel about it but I will be there as well. I'll be the one with the cardinal TROJANS shirt on.

TroyFootball05
01-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Not sure why it went unnoticed, but Drew said the game in Pheonix City is NOT the spring game, it's just one scrimmage. The Spring Game will be in TROY.

Hemi Man
01-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Not sure why it went unnoticed, but Drew said the game in Pheonix City is NOT the spring game, it's just one scrimmage. The Spring Game will be in TROY.

The Spring game is the following saturday I believe.

SOTS 86-89
01-20-2011, 09:53 AM
This was done several times in the late '80s and early '90s. Prattville used to host the spring game and then I believe we played one spring game in Phenix City.

I was still in school in the late 80's and taught in Phenix City from 1990-93 and I don't remember a spring game being played there. Troy did play a regular season game there against West Georgia in either 1990 or 1991.

TroyTrojans2003
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I like the dome idea :) how about pulling and Eastern Washington? Make our turf cardinal or black? be a trend setter :) Wierd but I actually dig EW's new turf! Boise brings in the recruits with the blue turf, hell why dont we? Who was it that posted LSU was going to get purple as a April fools joke! I would love to see that too!

FliryVorru
01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I trust Drew and I'm sure he's 100% correct, but the University needs to get this thing straightened out. When you have multiple reports saying different things, people can get confused easily.

WLTZ (Columbus, GA): http://www.wltz.com/news/local/Trojans-will-play-Spring-scrimmage-in-Phenix-City-114235989.html

Troy University announced Wednesday morning at the Phenix City, City Council meeting that the Trojans will take a mini road trip to Phenix City to play one of it's three scrimmage games.
WRBL (Columbus, GA): http://www2.wrbl.com/news/2011/jan/19/8/troy-trojans-play-spring-game-phenix-city-ar-1360638/

Troy University will play its spring game in Phenix City at Garrett-Harrison Stadium.

Troy79
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Ricky Hazel advised me last week that he understood the Spring game was planned for Saturday, March 26th, the same weekend that UALR will be in town to play baseball. Maybe we will have two 'Spring games' this year (one at the visitors site and the other at home)!
Go TROY!

Navarre Trojan
01-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Ricky Hazel advised me last week that he understood the Spring game was planned for Saturday, March 26th, the same weekend that UALR will be in town to play baseball. Maybe we will have two 'Spring games' this year (one at the visitors site and the other at home)!
Go TROY!

This is also the same weekend as the Spring Reunion so I am sure that Ricky knows what he is talking about. He is the one that will be providing all of the media information for the spring game.

DedicatedTrojan84
01-20-2011, 02:30 PM

+1. Its stupid.

reded
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
+1. Its stupid.

If Bama and Auburn are not doing that's all the more reason to try it. There are a lot of people that have sacrificed success for "image". It's just ego.How many people can say for certain, with some basis, that this move does not have an upside? If it does not then I wonder who'll give a damn two years from today. There is a concept that insures failure, one that will keep men in darkness forever, that is the concept of contempt prior to investigation. (paraphrase) Herbert Spencer

Troy87
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
I like this idea. I like doing it in Auburn's backyard. Maybe next year we go to B'ham. I think it says volumes about the people working for this program and trying to expand the horizon for Troy.

I'd love to see a scrimmage down here in Steve Riggs Stadium in FWB. (Sorry Navarre Trojan, I know your partiality to Choctaw, but I went to FWBHS). An FBS football team showing it's wares in the Florida Panhandle would be a huge statement about what area you're looking to attract players from. And it demonstrates a willingness to plant your flag in the ground and say "We want a piece of that area".

We did it with the University by going to Germany, Vietnam, China, Singapore, Kuwait, and everywhere else. Why not do it with the football team.

I remember several years ago, the Troy baseball team came down to Niceville to NW Fl. St. (Then OWCC), and played Air Force. I went to see one of those games and it was great.

troyfan
01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I like this idea. I like doing it in Auburn's backyard. Maybe next year we go to B'ham. I think it says volumes about the people working for this program and trying to expand the horizon for Troy.

I'd love to see a scrimmage down here in Steve Riggs Stadium in FWB. (Sorry Navarre Trojan, I know your partiality to Choctaw, but I went to FWBHS). An FBS football team showing it's wares in the Florida Panhandle would be a huge statement about what area you're looking to attract players from. And it demonstrates a willingness to plant your flag in the ground and say "We want a piece of that area".

We did it with the University by going to Germany, Vietnam, China, Singapore, Kuwait, and everywhere else. Why not do it with the football team.

I remember several years ago, the Troy baseball team came down to Niceville to NW Fl. St. (Then OWCC), and played Air Force. I went to see one of those games and it was great.

I like the idea as well. Each year, TROY should pick one fo the 4 big cities in the state and play one scrimmage to help grow the TROY footprint. All the other sports, need to schedule as many in state schools as possible as well to help that footprint. I am confident the the baseball and softball teams would dominate up here. Winning always attracts more people!

BCTROJAN
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
If the goal it to sell the program and recruit fans be sure to bring the SOTS. Maybe do some fireworks at the end to help draw a crowd. Or do something to make a big deal out of it to be worthy of additional promotion and publicity. Got to get it in people minds that Troy Football = Big Time. This ain't the old Div. 2 Troy State program.

Hemi Man
01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I trust Drew and I'm sure he's 100% correct, but the University needs to get this thing straightened out. When you have multiple reports saying different things, people can get confused easily.

WLTZ (Columbus, GA): http://www.wltz.com/news/local/Trojans-will-play-Spring-scrimmage-in-Phenix-City-114235989.html

WRBL (Columbus, GA): http://www2.wrbl.com/news/2011/jan/19/8/troy-trojans-play-spring-game-phenix-city-ar-1360638/

This was tweeted on Jan 12.

TroyAthletics: Put it on your calendars #Troy fans, the annual T-Day celebration and football game will be held March 26

FliryVorru
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
This was tweeted on Jan 12.

TroyAthletics: Put it on your calendars #Troy fans, the annual T-Day celebration and football game will be held March 26

Granted, it was posted a week prior to the incorrect news articles, but your average alumnus isn't following Troy on Twitter.

Just saying... it'd be wise for the information department to post it on TroyTrojans.com and dispel heretofore false information.

nohuddle
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by ryan7907

Troy and it's off-campus sites are different than AU and AUM. We are Trojans One and All regardless of location, one great university. AU doesn't have 25,000 off campus students that could propel their program forward if they got on board. We do.

I love the idea. I agree that it should be done with a bang though, SOTS, T-ROY, events surrounding it, etc.

Hemi Man
01-21-2011, 09:05 PM
There was also news this week that the Trojans will hold a scrimmage during spring practice in Phenix City. The Trojans are scheduled to open spring practice on Feb. 23 and will hold the first of three spring scrimmages on Thursday, March 3, prior to releasing the squad for spring break.

After the break, the team will return to practice on March 14 with the scrimmage in Phenix City set for 2 p.m. on March 19. Spring practice will continue the next week with the final "T-Day" scrimmage set for March 26 at Veterans Memorial Stadium in conjunction with the University's spring reunion weekend.

I will not be able to make it to Phenix City for the scrimmage that day. In addition to a home baseball game that evening against South Alabama, my former graduate assistant, and former Troy punter, Jason Wright, is getting married that same day in Prattville.

http://blog.troytrojans.com/

By moving the scrimmage to Plenix City you are asking some to decide between the scrimmage and a conference in state baseball game.