PDA

View Full Version : Troy University Enrollment Figures

TroyFootball05
01-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Fall of 2007 is 6,177
Fall of 2008 is 6,300
Fall of 2010 is 7,194

I'm looking to fill in 2005-2009. Maybe even 2001-2004 as well. I'm projecting 8,800 in 2013. Those were the only numbers I could find. Maybe someone else has some more figures?

troy4ever21
01-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I've been told their predicting at least 10,000 students by 2015. It's possible if they are able to start and finish renovations to Alumni, Hamil, and Gardner (which are slated to be completed by 2015). Not only do those buildings need to be renovated, but we need more on campus housing. Perhaps another building like Shack or Clements (suite style).

MusicMan
01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
don't forget that we need a LOT more parking

troy4ever21
01-14-2011, 01:13 AM
don't forget that we need a LOT more parking

A parking deck would solve a lot of problems, but it'll never happen. :mad:

JPSousa1898
01-14-2011, 03:45 AM
People have blamed the lack of a deck at Troy on Mrs. Hawkins for a while now, but I think it's really more of a safety issue. They're harder to patrol for crime and I don't think University Police could effectively do all of its current responsibilities and throw an extra set of resources towards policing a parking deck too.

Pensacola Kid
01-14-2011, 07:01 AM
People have blamed the lack of a deck at Troy on Mrs. Hawkins for a while now, but I think it's really more of a safety issue. They're harder to patrol for crime and I don't think University Police could effectively do all of its current responsibilities and throw an extra set of resources towards policing a parking deck too.

That's what they make security cameras for. My employer spent $35K on 40 digital cameras and a network monitoring system. I can actually log in and watch my office from my house.

Surf Report:

NO SURF! So what do you do when there's no surf? You stand up paddle (SUP) like this: http://www.innerlightsurf.com/video110101/110101.html

Navarre Trojan
01-14-2011, 07:30 AM
That's what they make security cameras for. My employer spent $35K on 40 digital cameras and a network monitoring system. I can actually log in and watch my office from my house.

Surf Report:

NO SURF! So what do you do when there's no surf? You stand up paddle (SUP) like this: http://www.innerlightsurf.com/video110101/110101.html

Anything exciting ever happen while your watching? :confused-smiley-004

I have had many conversations with the Chancellor as well as Dr. Schmidt and Athletic Director Steve Dennis. All of them (and others) say there isn't a 'parking problem' on campus. The problem is that most students don't want to walk from the areas where parking is available. If that is the case, then don't look for any new "parking options" to come about anytime soon.

TrojanWarrior418
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Anything exciting ever happen while your watching? :confused-smiley-004

I have had many conversations with the Chancellor as well as Dr. Schmidt and Athletic Director Steve Dennis. All of them (and others) say there isn't a 'parking problem' on campus. The problem is that most students don't want to walk from the areas where parking is available. If that is the case, then don't look for any new "parking options" to come about anytime soon.

I'll call horsehockey on that. If they believe that is indeed the case then I invite them to take their own advice and give up their VIP parking spots and try and find a place like everyone else. If that was to happen you better believe a contractor would be hired the next week to start construction on a parking deck. But if no one believe's me then go cruise the campus today and show me where this hidden abundance of parking is.

FoulPolePhenom
01-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I'll call horsehockey on that. If they believe that is indeed the case then I invite them to take their own advice and give up their VIP parking spots and try and find a place like everyone else. If that was to happen you better believe a contractor would be hired the next week to start construction on a parking deck. But if no one believe's me then go cruise the campus today and show me where this hidden abundance of parking is.

The hidden abundance of parking that no one wants to use is the one right behind the football practice fields. That is student parking that has never even come close to being filled. People don't want to park there because it is "too far". Until that lot fills up they will never make more parking because there is not a need when there are spaces like those available.

FliryVorru
01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Until that lot fills up they will never make more parking because there is not a need when there are spaces like those available.

Agreed. A few years ago there was almost always about 100 spots open next to Sartain Hall but people didn't want to walk to they just complained. The opportunities are there, but some people can never be satisfied.

After attending the University of Florida and sometimes having to walk literally mile in order to get from my parking spot to my classroom, I refuse to complain about Troy's situation any more.

Troy79
01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Guys, we need to look at this population growth issue as a positive for Troy. Parking was an issue at Troy when I was a student on campus in the 70's (back in the day when not everyone had a car in college). I visit the Western Kentucky campus fairly regular and they have two parking decks, both of which I have used. I do not hear of any issues associated with the decks. My recommendation would be to build one near our sports complex and house the University Police Station at the base of the structure. That would allow them to have a presence 24/7 and provide them with new offices at the same time. With all the new development and renovations occurring on campus, there is no doubt in my mind that Troy will not look the same by 2015 (and that is just one incoming freshman class away until they graduate).
Go TROY!

sasquatch67
01-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I dont see anything but lazy ppl complaining here!!! Any large NOTABLE university you go to you will see kids riding bikes and other things. We as a university need to get out of this "I want to park in front of the building my class is in" crap!!! Maybe 8-10 yrs ago but not now..If we want to grow that is not gonna happen. What would it hurt some of these students to WALk a little ways to class??!! The only ones Im concerned about are the HANDICAPPED!!

dgoebel
01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I was in Alumni for 4 years and you can walk to anything on campus including the stadium in 10 minutes. When we went to the Troy-UF game in 2009 we had to pay $20 to jam our car into some couples front yard and we had to walk at least 1 1/2 miles to get to the stadium. We need to be thankful for the size and eaze of getting around the finest campus in the country...goood old Troy U.

Lowbacca
01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't know exact numbers, but enrollment was just over 4k my freshman year. (2004)

trojanbrutha
01-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I dont see anything but lazy ppl complaining here!!! Any large NOTABLE university you go to you will see kids riding bikes and other things. We as a university need to get out of this "I want to park in front of the building my class is in" crap!!! Maybe 8-10 yrs ago but not now..If we want to grow that is not gonna happen. What would it hurt some of these students to WALk a little ways to class??!! The only ones Im concerned about are the HANDICAPPED!!

We prefer "people with disabilities." :thumb:

MusicMan
01-14-2011, 07:50 PM
It's not that I'm lazy, I don't mind walking. I walk all over campus from Smith where I park my truck on a daily basis, my problem is that students, for example music students, cause that's what I am and who I hang out with, that have multiple things to carry, in our case multiple instruments and books, and not all of them are exactly pocket sized or you can carry more than the horn in one hand. If you have an english class in Smith Hall, I don't see why you can't park on the other side of the TC or at the Field, but when you have as much crap to carry as some people, I see a legitimate reason.

This argument may be mute if you've never had to carry a cello, trombone and books for four classes, it's kinda a hand full.

sasquatch67
01-14-2011, 11:46 PM
We prefer "people with disabilities." :thumb:

At least Im concerned about u!!JK On the carrying issue,all I lugged around was a 310lb body with sore knees!!:jester: But I did walk!!AND sweat!!! WHEW Troy is hot in the summer!!

Troy87
01-15-2011, 07:27 AM
It's been my opinion for years Troy needed a parking deck, but at the time before the Arena, I said it needed to be next to Sartain. But of course, the RVs park there on gameday (5 days a year) and that would have been sacriligous to move them.

My second choice spot was in the field across from Alumni Hall. This actually makes more sense because of the more centralized location, and now that the Arena is going on the golf course, the other site would be irrelevant.

At any rate, a 3 or 4 story parking deck there would allow more vehicles into a densely utilized area of campus. With the housing in one direction, the music and dining halls in another direction, and the Adams Administration building in another direction, it would serve a lot of the campus.