PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't Troy ever played Bama or Auburn?

ArmyTrojan10
01-08-2011, 02:25 PM
It seems to me that (I'm not from the state of Alabama), that it would create a little bit more revenue for the schools (mostly Troy). Troy could bring in some decent money for playing one or both of those schools. A lot of other states play other in state teams (look at the state of Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc).

PensacolaTrojan
01-08-2011, 02:37 PM
It seems to me that (I'm not from the state of Alabama), that it would create a little bit more revenue for the schools (mostly Troy). Troy could bring in some decent money for playing one or both of those schools. A lot of other states play other in state teams (look at the state of Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc).

You have asked the age old question, one which there is no "good" answer, only "the answer" that is..... they don't want to for fear of losing and helping the recruiting for an in-state school.

As far as I know, only the states of Arkansas and Alabama allow the major schools to avoid playing other division I schools within their state.

It is probably due to deep seated insecurity of Alabama, Auburn and Arkansas graduates and fans that their teams are really not that good.

Sherrill Busby
01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Why should we now? We get more mileage out of everyone asking that question than us actually playing either one...although after the FBI and NCAA get through with Barn, we might schedule them for a ten game series...but what do I know, I have been dead for over 25 years.

ArmyTrojan10
01-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I understand that they don't want their in state recruiting to be affected if one of those schools did lose to Troy. The fact is, Bama is Bama and Auburn is Auburn. They are national powers and play in the best conference in college football and their recruiting will never suffer unless some major happens and the NCAA comes crashing down on them. It is shameful that they won't schedule Troy. Maybe one day we will get our shot at those two schools.

trojanbrutha
01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I understand that they don't want their in state recruiting to be affected if one of those schools did lose to Troy. The fact is, Bama is Bama and Auburn is Auburn. They are national powers and play in the best conference in college football and their recruiting will never suffer unless some major happens and the NCAA comes crashing down on them. It is shameful that they won't schedule Troy. Maybe one day we will get our shot at those two schools.

No biggie right now...TROY is forging its own path in the college football world...in spite of them. It's even better in some ways...

JPSousa1898
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
no biggie right now...troy is forging its own path in the college football world...in spite of them. It's even better in some ways...

tru dat!!!!

TrojanEmpire
01-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Why should we now? We get more mileage out of everyone asking that question than us actually playing either one...although after the FBI and NCAA get through with Barn, we might schedule them for a ten game series...but what do I know, I have been dead for over 25 years.

Looks like Mr. Ho found a new off-season alias

MusicMan
01-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I was talking about this very thing with another student yesterday. He said that in our lifetime, me being 20 and him being 18, that Troy would be in the SEC. I laughed an said he was dreaming, Alabama and Auburn would never allow it. We won't even be able to play them because they risk to much. They pay us a million dollars to play us for homecoming and then lose that game, they lost a LOT more than that million dollars, or however much we get to play them. What are our money games worth now anyway?

newnan trojan
01-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Troy probably won't ever be in the SEC, but one day there won't be such a thing as non-AQ conferences. Troy probably won't be in the SunBelt forever either. In the Future it won't matter quite as much what conference you are in. As long as your winning games.

GoTroyGo1
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Have heard Blakeney has tried to get Auburn on the schedule for years and they have always refused. Some states mandate in-state games. Tennessee-Memphis and WVU- Marshall are two examples I know of.

PCTrojan
01-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Have heard Blakeney has tried to get Auburn on the schedule for years and they have always refused. Some states mandate in-state games. Tennessee-Memphis and WVU- Marshall are two examples I know of.

Florida V Florida State is a state constitutional mandate that it must be played as both teams last regular season game of the year.

GoTroyGo1
01-09-2011, 01:54 AM
I think Virginia / Va Tech is the same way. They play for the Commonwealth Cup every year.