PDA

View Full Version : The NASCAR Offense

TroyFootball05
12-31-2010, 03:53 PM
If anyone watched the Sugar Bowl when Utah beat Alabama, you knew it was because of the hurry up NASCAR offense being ran in hyper-drive. If anyone watched Troy play LSU in 2008, to get up 31-3 late in the 3rd, you knew it was because of the quick snap fast paced Troy Offense. If anyone watched the New Orleans Bowl where Troy destroyed Ohio, you knew it was because Troy played the fastest tempo they've ever played.

So why don't we do this more often? It seems like during the Neal Brown Era we did less of this. Tony Franklin did this all the time against big time opponents like Georgia and Florida, and we score big points everytime. In 2007, we never scored less than 21 points in a game. That was impressive. Kenny Edenfield seems to be warming up to the super fast no huddle, but why can't we do this every game?

In our last two games with Middle Tennessee, they couldn't do anything, that is, until they started running up-tempo, then they started to torch our defense. Then they stopped for some reason and we continued to clean to their clocks. Flashback to Bowling Green 2009. We score 14 using our up-tempo offense, then we slowed down and didn't score again. I'm sold on it, and wonder why we don't do it more often.

Just wondering, Kenny is doing a GREAT job. I wonder if what we saw in the bowl game might be in store for the Clemson Opener. They have fantastic athletes and we'll need to run the hurry up to perfection to beat them, regardless of who they lose this year.

dgoebel
12-31-2010, 04:06 PM
I totally agree. I think Kenny is for it. I was glad to see us going back more to the old style during the latter half, the up temp, the lineman checking back to the sielines. It works...ask Oregon and Auburn. I like it and I hope they run it all the time next year.

gotu
12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
If you have enough depth on defense it works well. Hurry up = more time on the turf for the D with less rest between possessions. There has to be a balnce. We were gassed at LSU in the 4th. IMHO.

Troy79
12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Welcome aboard GoTU!

Troy ran the NASCAR to perfection in New Orleans. My guess is that KE will use this offense more often in 2011, we will all just have to wait and see...
Go TROY!

CHughes1102
12-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah the Nascar offense is good, but even Auburn and Oregon can't run it the whole game. They will tempo it. They will run Nascar a lot when it counts and when they know they can score quick and put the game away. Then once the game is put away they will kinda slack off a bit. The defense is out there a TON when teams use the Nascar offense regardless if they score or not, so you have to use it at the right times.

ThePowerMan
01-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I think we say it more this year when C. Robinson go more experience. He had a couple bad games and it was hard to go NASCAR when a QB throws INT's, etc within two minutes apart. Gets to his psychy. Also, our D was much better in the past. I remember the days when our D-line would change out every series. Our D-backs could go one-on-one the entire game to perfection. Hopefully, we recruit well this year to sustain the fast pace NASCAR on both sides of the ball.

Hemi Man
01-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I think we say it more this year when C. Robinson go more experience. He had a couple bad games and it was hard to go NASCAR when a QB throws INT's, etc within two minutes apart. Gets to his psychy. Also, our D was much better in the past. I remember the days when our D-line would change out every series. Our D-backs could go one-on-one the entire game to perfection. Hopefully, we recruit well this year to sustain the fast pace NASCAR on both sides of the ball.

The defensive line switched out with regularity this season. The corners were on a rotation every third series. The dline should be much better from top to bottom this year. Elder is going to be a strong force inside. As long as someone steps up to replace Addison we will be much better there.

trojanbrutha
01-01-2011, 12:37 PM
The defensive line switched out with regularity this season. The corners were on a rotation every third series. The dline should be much better from top to bottom this year. Elder is going to be a strong force inside. As long as someone steps up to replace Addison we will be much better there.

RJ Roberts and JR Robertson should be solid...Robles...Clark...we're good :thumb:

Nice Trojan
01-01-2011, 02:20 PM
RJ Roberts and JR Robertson :

Those names are going to get some confusion next year.

Navarre Trojan
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
If anyone watched the Sugar Bowl when Utah beat Alabama, you knew it was because of the hurry up NASCAR offense being ran in hyper-drive. If anyone watched Troy play LSU in 2008, to get up 31-3 late in the 3rd, you knew it was because of the quick snap fast paced Troy Offense. If anyone watched the New Orleans Bowl where Troy destroyed Ohio, you knew it was because Troy played the fastest tempo they've ever played.

So why don't we do this more often? It seems like during the Neal Brown Era we did less of this. Tony Franklin did this all the time against big time opponents like Georgia and Florida, and we score big points everytime. In 2007, we never scored less than 21 points in a game. That was impressive. Kenny Edenfield seems to be warming up to the super fast no huddle, but why can't we do this every game?

In our last two games with Middle Tennessee, they couldn't do anything, that is, until they started running up-tempo, then they started to torch our defense. Then they stopped for some reason and we continued to clean to their clocks. Flashback to Bowling Green 2009. We score 14 using our up-tempo offense, then we slowed down and didn't score again. I'm sold on it, and wonder why we don't do it more often.

Just wondering, Kenny is doing a GREAT job. I wonder if what we saw in the bowl game might be in store for the Clemson Opener. They have fantastic athletes and we'll need to run the hurry up to perfection to beat them, regardless of who they lose this year.

and I thought it was because Alabama didn't have anything to play for and really didn't care about the game because it wasn't the national championship game. Thats what all the "Bama fans" said!! "the game really didn't mean anything and it is hard for us to get up for a game like this after losing in the SEC Championship Game!!!!!

trojanbrutha
02-07-2011, 03:56 PM
:spam:

PCTrojan
02-07-2011, 05:08 PM
:spam:

Yeah that ^^^

Pee Wee 26
02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah the Nascar offense is good, but even Auburn and Oregon can't run it the whole game. They will tempo it. They will run Nascar a lot when it counts and when they know they can score quick and put the game away. Then once the game is put away they will kinda slack off a bit. The defense is out there a TON when teams use the Nascar offense regardless if they score or not, so you have to use it at the right times.

I like the NASCAR offense also, and agree with CHughes... it puts pressure on the D. Once our depth issues are resolved, we'll be able to use it more effectively next year. Looking forward to CR's experience, more NASCAR and a deeper D... excited about next season.

MaximumProtection
02-07-2011, 07:51 PM
I got to enjoy my first few Trojan games last season. The fast pace and tempo was unbelievable.

It didn't take long to learn to ignore the "instant replay" on the big screen. Every time I would turn to watch the replay, the offense would be running another one. :redface:

Spring can't get here quick enough. Go Trojans!

Troy Bob
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Just a side bar here. Coach Blakeney and Corey Robinson are flying up to Ohio, I believe tomorrow. Corey is being honored as one of the Top Quarterbacks in the Nation. Not bad for a Troy Boy!!!

Hemi Man
02-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Just a side bar here. Coach Blakeney and Corey Robinson are flying up to Ohio, I believe tomorrow. Corey is being honored as one of the Top Quarterbacks in the Nation. Not bad for a Troy Boy!!!

It was February 5th. 1 of 12 players to watch in 2011.

Mike Cunningham
02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I was in Ohio on 2/5. Wish I would have known about that, I might have been able to go (if it was open to the public).

redwaver
02-07-2011, 10:29 PM

Amen to this! We should have the personnel this year to go with it. We lost the LSU game because we didn't know how/when to start cooking the clock with runs and burn the clock each play not so much being tired. If we are in shape to do this our oponents have to be in the same condition or they are in trouble late. Ohio U. was fried by the middle of the 2nd quarter in the bowl game. Look at Oregon this year. They ran everyon except Auburn into the ground. I love to see us give it a try from day one!