Football rumor mill reports FAU coach to retire

Thoughts on replacements?

BCTROJAN
12-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Neal Brown:rolleyes:

kinston14
12-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Neal Brown:rolleyes:

That's a thought. I was thinking mike leach if he dosent land @ Maryland or Randy Shannon

formerlytsufan
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
That's a thought. I was thinking mike leach if he dosent land @ Maryland or Randy Shannon

FAU can't afford Mike Leach.

kinston14
12-29-2010, 02:22 PM
FAU can't afford Mike Leach.

They can if they want him bad enough

OwlFamily
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Just rumors at this point, but who knows?

HS contract is up after 2011. There has been 0 talk about him renewing or extending that I know off. Now that may be because the stadium is taking a huge bulk of the Admins time right now but It could be other things as well.

Howard desevers his year to play in the OCS that he got built. He's pushed for an OCS for every school hes ever coached for and this will be the first one that he has a chance to do it in. I do think the recuriting game has passed him by and FWIW I do hope he steps down after next year.

2 thinks to keep in mind on Leach and Shannon coaching possiblites @ FAU...

1.) Leach and our AD Craig Angelos attended BYU together and were classmates, They have been close friends for years, talking on a weekly basis according to Angelos even before Leach got fired at TT. He is currently getting money from Tech that could offset the lower pay that FAU would offer over a AQ team. He would get to stay in Florida, which is where he prefers to live. (Currently in the Keys I belive)

2.) Schnellenberger knows and talks to Shannon quite often as well due to thier UM connections. Also has Florida roots and will need to rebuild his career after the UM issues. Plus would get to coach across from Cristobal who is another UM product.

FAU does have a history of taking coachs that are "damaged" goods. Howard and Mike Jarvis are the most successful of the two and seem to have shaken off thier reps (Howard was run out of OU and Jarvis had major issues at St. Johns.)

Nothing definite but just what I've heard.

BCTROJAN
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Leach was my first serious thought but knowing he's a high $$$ man....

But where ever he ends up will get a good coach. Too bad he got screwed over and is somewhat tarnished. As a contrast, M. Vick comes back as the darling of the NFL. He is a great football player though but not much on character.

kinston14
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Just rumors at this point, but who knows?

HS contract is up after 2011. There has been 0 talk about him renewing or extending that I know off. Now that may be because the stadium is taking a huge bulk of the Admins time right now but It could be other things as well.

Howard desevers his year to play in the OCS that he got built. He's pushed for an OCS for every school hes ever coached for and this will be the first one that he has a chance to do it in. I do think the recuriting game has passed him by and FWIW I do hope he steps down after next year.

2 thinks to keep in mind on Leach and Shannon coaching possiblites @ FAU...

1.) Leach and our AD Craig Angelos attended BYU together and were classmates, They have been close friends for years, talking on a weekly basis according to Angelos even before Leach got fired at TT. He is currently getting money from Tech that could offset the lower pay that FAU would offer over a AQ team. He would get to stay in Florida, which is where he prefers to live. (Currently in the Keys I belive)

2.) Schnellenberger knows and talks to Shannon quite often as well due to thier UM connections. Also has Florida roots and will need to rebuild his career after the UM issues. Plus would get to coach across from Cristobal who is another UM product.

FAU does have a history of taking coachs that are "damaged" goods. Howard and Mike Jarvis are the most successful of the two and seem to have shaken off thier reps (Howard was run out of OU and Jarvis had major issues at St. Johns.)

Nothing definite but just what I've heard.
Yes he lives in the keys that's originaly what I was thinking I don't think a stadium would have anything to do with it

Mike Cunningham
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Why don't we wait to see what coachingtree.com comes up with?

TrojanEmpire
12-29-2010, 02:49 PM
why don't we wait to see what coachingtree.com comes up with?

zing!!!!!!!!!

Mike Cunningham
12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Coachingtree.com has officially come up with three possible replacements for Schnelly. In no particular order:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoT1Kv4YOgLfRiDMcSBZoIHic6GZWjg _vC0QtzYOgQysePmd-9jg
Cause he is the color red and FAU has red in their school colors.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzY1g0KoV-a29Qx-yZuVgLoqsEifLGmAx0LjVMUhLFvP8AvZkS
Cause he is from South Florida and his real name is Robbie Van Winkle which is pretty cool.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV22FS-Lt9-RjJ10b59q7IxvA8UEIsSCT6Nd3byoCw0aSagJWSpw
Cause he used to work with the entire current FAU coaching staff and has roots in Miami.

***If this post doesn't get me MAJOR rep points, I don't know what will!

troyaluminmichigan
12-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Does the coachingtree look anything like this?

http://www.intentionalinsights.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tree-of-souls.jpg

nohuddle
12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Why is Mike obsessed with degrading coachingtree? Granted, I didn't catch up on every post from the last few days, so I may have missed where coachingtree deserves to be the butt of every joke. Seems like he just has a less than perfect way of predicting future coaches, or was there more?

Mike Cunningham
12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
No, just having fun at a ridiculous website. That's all.

spotter
12-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Football rumor mill reports FAU coach to retire

Thoughts on replacements?

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/alloy/ColonelSanders-1.png

CHughes1102
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Mike didn't read the actual article. HERE is what the coachingtree.com came up with as possible replacements:

Cast of CSI: Miami

It may seem like a farfetched guess at first, but we do have to realize that the show is from Miami, which is nearby. They know a thing or two about criminals and could recruit top notch thugs for the University

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/GolfCountess/serien/CSI/csimiami2.jpg

Six Flags dancing guy

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/meowfang/sixflagsguy.jpg

It makes sense because they are already replacing an old guy that doesn't really contribute to anything. Why not bring in another old guy that just dances around the sideline? One it would bring more excitement to the stadium and draw more fans and two he probably would be a better coach.

Hawaii Defensive Coordinator Dave Aranda

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/Quickbat/Coach1.jpg

You may be asking yourself, Mr. Tree, why do you come up with such random guys? Well sit down and shut your mouth. This guy clearly is a candidate for the job. True, Hawaii is terrible on Defense but so is FAU. Plus this guy is at Hawaii and the FAU campus has palm trees and crap. He is familiar with the scenery and things of that nature. Also guys look at his smile. Just look at it. A million dollar smile that will make any tree crumble over at it's pure greatness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Tree signing off

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/batresflores/DSC00417.jpg

Mike Cunningham
12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
This is great. Anyone else got 'possible' candidates to replace Schnelly at FAU?

OwlFamily
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Strangely enough another source (This time a gator insider) has leaked this out as well. Starting to be lots of smoke on this.

While not holding my breath, this is starting to sound like a possiblity.

Pee Wee 26
12-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Strangely enough another source (This time a gator insider) has leaked this out as well. Starting to be lots of smoke on this.

While not holding my breath, this is starting to sound like a possiblity.

Which?

OwlFamily
12-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Which?

Courtesy of the UNT board who posted the ESPN Insider comments...

ESPN College FB Rumors

Two rumors sprouted this week regarding the possible future landing spot of fired Miami coach Randy Shannon, and hopefully one of these will actually happen (unlike the rumors connecting his name to the Minnesota, Indiana and Vanderbilt jobs and the Texas DC opening).

Franz Beard of Swamp247.com and FootballRumorMill.com both link Shannon's name to Florida Atlantic, with Beard saying that Shannon will be FAU's head-coach-in-waiting for one season before succeeding Howard Schnellenberger (in an arrangement similar to Dana Holgorsen's at West Virginia), while FRM merely says that Shannon will top the Owls' wish list if the 76-year-old Schnellenberger decides to retire immediately.

Meanwhile, Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times reports that Shannon attended Wisconsin's Rose Bowl practice on Monday and suggests that Shannon might be a candidate to replace Dave Doeren (who went to Northern Illinois) as DC. However, Shannon likely was there to visit his friend Greg Jackson, Wisconsin's nickel backs/assistant LB coach, a fellow Miami native whom he recommended for a job on Bret Bielema's staff last March.

A lifelong South Florida guy, Shannon makes too much sense for Florida Atlantic, even if Wisconsin is a BCS-conference school. (That's if he really is a candidate for the Badgers opening.) We're not sure if Shannon could go straight from the Owls to a BCS-conference head-coaching job, but since he has already been a BCS-conference head coach, taking a coordinator position probably doesn't make much sense if he has an alternative.

kinston14
12-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Courtesy of the UNT board who posted the ESPN Insider comments...

ESPN College FB Rumors

Two rumors sprouted this week regarding the possible future landing spot of fired Miami coach Randy Shannon, and hopefully one of these will actually happen (unlike the rumors connecting his name to the Minnesota, Indiana and Vanderbilt jobs and the Texas DC opening).

Franz Beard of Swamp247.com and FootballRumorMill.com both link Shannon's name to Florida Atlantic, with Beard saying that Shannon will be FAU's head-coach-in-waiting for one season before succeeding Howard Schnellenberger (in an arrangement similar to Dana Holgorsen's at West Virginia), while FRM merely says that Shannon will top the Owls' wish list if the 76-year-old Schnellenberger decides to retire immediately.

Meanwhile, Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times reports that Shannon attended Wisconsin's Rose Bowl practice on Monday and suggests that Shannon might be a candidate to replace Dave Doeren (who went to Northern Illinois) as DC. However, Shannon likely was there to visit his friend Greg Jackson, Wisconsin's nickel backs/assistant LB coach, a fellow Miami native whom he recommended for a job on Bret Bielema's staff last March.

A lifelong South Florida guy, Shannon makes too much sense for Florida Atlantic, even if Wisconsin is a BCS-conference school. (That's if he really is a candidate for the Badgers opening.) We're not sure if Shannon could go straight from the Owls to a BCS-conference head-coaching job, but since he has already been a BCS-conference head coach, taking a coordinator position probably doesn't make much sense if he has an alternative.
What about mike sanford

Discophobia
12-30-2010, 10:30 AM
How about Mark Fleetwood, I hear he is available.

Pee Wee 26
12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
How about Mark Fleetwood, I hear he is available.

My old position coach (one of them anyway). Ironically, he also coached a guy that I graduated high school with that played at Jax State. He was a better DB coach & kicking coach than OC.

Troy87
12-30-2010, 03:40 PM
My old position coach (one of them anyway). Ironically, he also coached a guy that I graduated high school with that played at Jax State. He was a better DB coach & kicking coach than OC.

THAT is the understatement of the century!

Seriously though, the man could coach some special teams.

Pee Wee 26
12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
THAT is the understatement of the century!

Seriously though, the man could coach some special teams.

Understatements are a specialty :wave:

Burrt Keyes
01-02-2011, 11:20 AM
This is great. Anyone else got 'possible' candidates to replace Schnelly at FAU?

Surely there was an assistant equipment manager at FAU 5 years ago, who is now dating an assistant trainer at another school. That school probably has a graduate assistant coach that would love to be considered for the HC position at FAU!

Pee Wee 26
01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Surely there was an assistant equipment manager at FAU 5 years ago, who is now dating an assistant trainer at another school. That school probably has a graduate assistant coach that would love to be considered for the HC position at FAU!

Reminds me of Ferris Bueller "my sister's uncle's brother who knows a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night" :rolleyes: Good stuff.

Mike Cunningham
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
There's another candidate....Ferris Bueller.

trojanbrutha
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM

How about Bernie? He was in a little bit better health though...! :rollinglaugh:

Pee Wee 26
01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
How about Bernie? He was in a little bit better health though...! :rollinglaugh:

Only problem with Bernie, he's busy on the weekends. We could use him on Tuesday nites tho!!!:jester:

dgoebel
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Since Florida is bringing in Charlie Weiss, I say that FAU hires Tyrone Whinigham, that way we can have all the Notre Dame failures in Florida..oh yeah, they could get Gerry Faust also.

CHughes1102
01-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Oh wow see then I would almost have to be an FAU fan....almost.