PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote

formerlytsufan
10-19-2004, 08:58 AM
The following quote caught my attention.

"You can't blame Leak for not stepping up in the pocket if there's no pocket there," Munson said. "If he's getting pressure, there's not much he can do about it.

"I don't know what kind of changes they're thinking of making, but it's the coaches' decision."

Munson said the Trojans should have run more play-action passes and questioned the play-calling.

"There were a lot of passing plays that we practiced that we didn't put in (the game)," he said. "A lot of players don't understand what's going on with the coaches."

Maybe Markus was right a few weeks ago when he said he thought something was going on with the staff. :oops: :roll:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5/storyV5troy19o.htm

RedEdgeTrojan
10-19-2004, 09:03 AM
"Myself, I wouldn’t be mad if I got a heavier workload. I kind of feel left out a little bit, being a senior and going through the last three years. But we’ll leave that up to the coaches. I think they know what’s best for us. And hopefully what s best is I can get more opportunities.”

troymarkus
10-19-2004, 09:19 AM
The offensive coaching staff have lost the players. Just like Callahan at Oakland a couple years ago. The offense has no respect or confidence in the coaches. I wouldn't either. We have to make a change. I think LB hired Fleetwood on a knee-jerk reaction after the debacle with Shannon. We should look long and hard for a qualified offensive coordinator or let LB take over the play-calling altogether.

Fleetwood is not the answer. He is the problem.

TUTrojan
10-19-2004, 09:32 AM
I have seen no improvement or progression... Look at last year. Remember how we faltered down the stretch? Remember the playcalling against MTSU, a game that Dewhitt was dominating? If not for trick plays and athletic plays by Samples and Robbie Farmer, we would have lost against La-Monroe. The only thing we've had work in his two years was a couple of trick plays. No logical progession in play-calling, no setting plays up within games, no coherance from week to week. Just purely random BS plays. Our defense or special teams have won almost every game by themselves.

We have special players in Dewhitt, Richardson, and Dawkins. We should be finding them with 80% of the plays. We should be throwing to them also... How come we never run the option? It has been very successful the few times we have used it (mainly against Marshall the last two years). Can you see defensive backs trying to tackle Dewhitt? They couldn't. I sure hope we can see our amazing backs show their true potential at some point.

tntrojan
10-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Based on that article, the coaches have some work to do. Players criticizing their teammates and coaches? I've never seen players call out other players or coaches like Munson and Betterson did in that article. I respect their comments but I hope this does not ruin any chemistry the team might have.
Folks, we are fans. Support this team and never forget you are criticizing 19, 20 and 21 year old students. They need our support, not our complaints.

arkstfan
10-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Off the top of my head I don't recall Troy rolling right too often on the pass plays until the very end, which was suprising given the pressure that was coming from the left side of Troy's offensive line.

On the final series, Leak was rolling right but the left tackle kept holding.

troymarkus
10-19-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm not criticizing the players as much as I am the coaches. That is where my problem lies. In Fleetwood.

Here is the deal. No rollout passes all game long until it's too late. EVERY game starts by a play action pass trying to go long. Is Fleetwood that dense??? Every team knows he does that every game. How about a little change-up and imagination???

And don't do play-action when you haven't set it up with the run first! That's so middle-schoolish.

Yes, the offensive line sucks, but why not roll out from the pressure? No, let's continue to do the 7-step drop and get killed. Where is the imagination??

There is no ebb and flow of the play-calling. If the QB throws an INT, you're guaranteed to see 15 straight running plays. What is that?

Terrible.

RedEdgeTrojan
10-19-2004, 10:06 AM
DeWitts above quote is from the interview on TrojanNews.com from Oct 1st.

http://trojannews.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=48

but in reading the article from Montgomery Advertiser, he (and Munson) did have some strong things to say now, also.

I'm sure frustration is heavily weighed in with the comments. At least I hope so.

D1Trojan4U
10-19-2004, 03:30 PM
how dare anyone that calls themself a Trojan fan say "sure, our offensive line sucks"? I realize that we are a D1 program now, but at the same time, how about a little bit of decency and respect for the men that give it their best week in and week out, not to mention workouts and meetings and practice every week? Is that too much to ask? Do you think that they are intentionally playing poorly? These guys are just here to play football. Hours every week spent just so people like Markus can come and be entertained and point out where they are falling short? These are guys that can't even hope for a glimpse of credit when they do well. How many rushing yards might Dewhitt have without an O-line? Has the biggest play of the year for us not come from an O-lineman that was hustling his ass off behind the play? Better yet, you suit up and do a better job sir.

One of the biggest issues with the O-line is Fela's coaching. As many as four players ranging from starters to potential starters have left the program for as little as a week to as long as permanently citing Fela as their reason for leaving. I think Fleetwood is a good guy, but belive that both Fela and Fleetwood would be better off elsewhere. I agree with the earlier post about play-action passes. Where the hell is the option? I think our offensive personnel is well suited to run the option, but we do not for some reason.

Here's hoping to winning out the rest of the season (including LSU) and to fans that support the players that are doing their best to represent the university well.

TUEngineer
10-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I know a few of the O-linemen...Starters and 2nd string and scout team, most of them hate Coach Fela...I heard one of our starters talking the other day at lunch, he said,

"Fela is *****ing me out for something he told me to do last week in practice, but now he's saying he didn't say it...if you're wrong just say you're wrong and don't ***** me out, I'm glad this is my last ****ing year!"

If one of our biggest starting O-Linemen is GLAD this is his last year...somethings SERIOUSLY wrong.

littlebittyschool
10-19-2004, 03:52 PM
We're not in the NFL, so we can't make any trades. Those guys are ours," Blakeney said. "We're going to try to find a couple of young linemen, give them some time -- they may not start, but give them time.

"We've struggled there and that's pretty obvious

Sounds like the coaches don't have much faith in our o-line players.

Just from reading some posts, it also sounds like we've identified the coaches as the problem. I wanted Fleetwood gone after the MTSU game last year. He cost us that one all on his own. I remember a quote from him about why he threw the passes in the 4th quarter when Betterson was running wild on them. He said something like, "If you throw on first down and don't complete it, you kind of have to throw on second and third down too." What kind of crap is that?

On all 3 sacks Leak took, he got nailed with pressure coming from the backside. A little screen pass to the WR or RB or even a little dump to the tight end would have been devistating. The whole side of the field was wide open. I also think we should run some option. The only time I really remember us running it was in the first game against Marshall where Leak scored a TD. Also, what about running a draw play when Leak goes in the shotgun to slow down the blitz. I can't remember a draw play at all this year.

Oh well...

TUTrojan
10-19-2004, 04:12 PM
You have to keep the defense honest. The plays you mentioned would do wonders for that. Keep defenders on their heels and we can do any number of things to beat them. They've been able to pin their ears back and come after us full force. Ever wonder why we continuosly make the worst defenses in the country look like the 70's Steelers? It's not because we just have "off" days every time we play them, either.

troymarkus
10-19-2004, 05:15 PM
First off, they are getting a scholarship at a fine university for their work. So don't act like they are poor and down-trodden. Secondly, I pay good money for a ticket and even more good money to suppor the athletic program. I'm pretty confident that gives me the right to be a vocal fan. And yes, even call them out when they look awful. When our O-line does its job and blocks for our running backs and QBs, I will heap praise on them. Only problem is that it hasn't been done very often since the move to 1-A.

Don't tell me how to be a fan. If the truth hurts...too bad. It reality.

troyathleticsupporter
10-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Have you every thought about the fact that maybe the QB is a whiny baby and nobody on the team likes him, including his O-line that is supposed to be protecting him (which they are obviously NOT!) What would be the possibility that they "miss" a block accidentally...on purpose. Throw in the fact that they don't like the OC and OL coaches either...could be an underlying reason why our offense is not effective?

troymarkus
10-19-2004, 06:17 PM
I highly doubt that would ever happen. Even if they dislike someone, there is a certain amount of personal pride that these athletes play for. If that were to ever happen--I don't think it ever would--then they should quit playing the game. Period.

D1Trojan4U
10-19-2004, 07:04 PM
I just think it would be better for a "fan" to "call out" in a better fashion. The offensive line doesn't suck. Bottom Line. Yes, these players are getting a scholarship, to a fine university. (One at which you apparently slept through some comp classes -- suppor is not a word -- among others, hey...if the truth hurts sorry, but "it reality") But you know as well as I do that as much money that the university makes off of these publicity *****s, (which is all they truly are to the university admin) they dont begin to see compensation for all they do.

I'm not telling you how to be a fan, I'm telling you how to be a better person, which will in turn make you a better fan. Realize the effort, don't point out shortcomings. You'll go farther in life being positive - maybe thats why you're where you are now. If the truth hurts - sorry "it reality"

troymarkus
10-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Do you know where I am? Do you know me? No, I don't think so.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if you indeed have a real job it must be in a rare environment where results don't matter. Because in the real world that's what counts--results.

And yes, the offensive line sucks. Look at the grading report for every game. Most good offensive lines grade out in the high 70s to high 80s. We consistently grade out in the 60s and low 70s. Translation--they suck.

I think you are mistaking reality with negativity. Do I think they can be better and will be better? Yes. I happen to like Fela. I think he will make them much better. Our problems with the offensive line go back to the OL coach before Fela. He left our line in shambles. He was the worst O-line coach we've ever had.

I've been going to Troy games for over 20 years. I think I know a little bit about Troy and our team. How long have you been a fan?

And by the way, why don't you find out a little bit about me before you tell me to be a better person. Check out my profile and then we'll talk. And my spelling??? Ha! Whatever. Spell check has ruined me. What can I say!

And lastly, if you really believe our athletes are "*****s" for the university you are smoking something illegal. The players agreed to take the scholarship for playing ball. They signed up for it. It's voluntary and I promise you Troy University isn't making a boatload of money from these players. They should be priveleged even to put the cardnial uniform on. Troy is much bigger than the current players.

troymarkus
10-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Just to clarify...I will always support the Trojans. No matter how I feel about their performance--I am always there to support them. I will always be there to support them.

Lastly, D1...you must be a walk-on player--a redhirt or something. That would explain your inability to comprehend reality.

TSUWhiner
10-21-2004, 02:44 PM
to add to my friend Markus' comment..I do help pay for some football scholarship...so I expect results..like a person once said to me "You will understand when you are in our position"

Whiner