PDA

View Full Version : Scarbinsky Birmingham New Article

Troy Bob
12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Please go online and read the above Article, if you can call it that, about who Cares about Troys Bowl Game. It insulted me and should you. Also, email in your opinion to that article. We cannot take this sitting down. Stand up for the Trojans!!:mad:

Psitech
12-19-2010, 12:42 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/12/scarbinsky_run_dont_tiger_walk.html

"Proud Troy alum"??? Nice way to prove it.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy147/changeling0203/Gifs/arthur-hatersgonnahate.gif

NWFLTrojan
12-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Can you post a link to the article? I can not find it. Thanks

trojanbrutha
12-19-2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/12/scarbinsky_run_dont_tiger_walk.html

Trojan by Birth
12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I believe in a playoff. I think that the national championship would mean much more. Remembering back to 1987 when Troy won their last national championship, each week in the playoffs was another challenge and another celebration. Plus, we all know that Alabama and Auburn have nothing to gain from playing us. If they were forced to play us in a playoff situation, we could get our wish of seeing if we could take them. A playoff would reveal if Boise, TCU, and Troy are contenders.
Anyway, great win last night. Go Troy!

nohuddle
12-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Stop being so sensitive. He's right, nobody really cared about the outcome of our game. That's a given. It was a great reward for our players and fans and it should help with recruiting.

jagd1305
12-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Are Mark Cuban and Scarbinsky still dating?

Troy Bob
12-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Listen FRIEND! Its my prerogative to speak up when I see a damn GEEK put us down. He or you could not even make our B Team in badmitton. I'm tired of Jock Journalists calling us insignificant after all we have done with money and sweat equity to get where we are. The BCS is a Good Ole Boy network of a couple of handfuls of Teams who have a strangle hold on the Media and protecting their own self interests. WE NEED TO PROTECT OURS!! No wonder we cannot get any attention, on the day we have shined on National TV, the day after we looked Great! I will not shut up or sit down. Maybe you will!!

TroyTuba
12-19-2010, 04:37 PM
"Who cares about Troy?" is not the point of his article, it is his device for helping to validate his article on a playoff vs. current bowl system. Outside of our immediate fan base and maybe some scouts, I don't think many in America did care about our bowl game last night. Hard core fans who like college football would probably be watching, but that's about it. I think his intentions have been misconstrued is all.

Pee Wee 26
12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
As far as our game - Their were about 19K people who cared enough to buys tix. There were more that watched on TV. As far as BCS - There are 100s of kids get to play one more ballgame (family, alumni,fans, etc.) that watch. Each week of college football matters due to the BCS. Nobody care about NCAA basketball until the sweet sixteen. I choose the bowls. I think the overall good is much more important than 1 single winner. I hate that this guy chose to throw his alma mater into negative light to make his point. I respect his opinion but disagree 200% with him AND his choice of how he referred to MY Alma mater.

socrgoly25
12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
As far as our game - Their were about 19K people who cared enough to buys tix. There were more that watched on TV. As far as BCS - There are 100s of kids get to play one more ballgame (family, alumni,fans, etc.) that watch. Each week of college football matters due to the BCS. Nobody care about NCAA basketball until the sweet sixteen. I choose the bowls. I think the overall good is much more important than 1 single winner. I hate that this guy chose to throw his alma mater into negative light to make his point. I respect his opinion but disagree 200% with him AND his choice of how he referred to MY Alma mater.

I disagree. My favorite part of March Madness is the Cinderellas. And there is ALWAYS somebody that shocks the nation in that opening round. Heck, Butler was almost national champion last year!!! How is that not exciting? That any team when given a chance can rise up to the occasion and prove that they are the best?

CHughes1102
12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I disagree. My favorite part of March Madness is the Cinderellas. And there is ALWAYS somebody that shocks the nation in that opening round. Heck, Butler was almost national champion last year!!! How is that not exciting? That any team when given a chance can rise up to the occasion and prove that they are the best?

Amen!!! My favorite part as well!!

BCTROJAN
12-19-2010, 08:24 PM
He could have said college football needs a playoff system to determine final ranking without saying this weekends bowl games were insignificant. What did the bowl games have to do with rankings? If he or anybody else did not want to watch, turn the channel. What's wrong with having 35 bowl games to let more schools enjoy the experience?

BCTROJAN
12-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I emailed Kevin and shared the thoughts in my above post. Thought I would share his reply with which I fully agree. Also thought it was nice that he took the time to reply

Bob,

I've been criticizing Alabama and Auburn for their failure to play Troy and UAB for years. It makes no sense to pay all that money to La Monroe or Arkansas State or another out-of-state program instead.

As for the bowls, I believe a true 16-team playoff, if it ever happens, would have to include all 11 FBS conference champions. That would give Troy a shot to make the playoff by winning the Sun Belt, as if often does.

The other bowls still could exist.

Have you read the book "Death to the BCS?" You should check it out.

Thanks for your insight from one proud Troy grad to another.

Kevin Scarbinsky
The Birmingham News

Pee Wee 26
12-28-2010, 09:01 PM

My point was really that the regular season is somewhat diminished. You made a good point & I do agree that the opening round & following rounds can be fun...

Psideffect
12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
I can't believe how out of context a lot of you took that article. If we had went to Mobile or Detroit and had not played yet, and say, FIU or MTSU went to NOLA, would you have thought twice about that statement if it were them instead of us? I bet you would have gotten what he was trying to say instead of getting offended.

jagd1305
12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Here's my issue with this matter....Mark Cuban. There isn't one original idea between his ears that he can plant his flag on about this. He obviously read the book and now wants to run with the idea as his own. His primary motivation always has been and always will be...Mark Cuban. He envisions an opportunity to emplace himself into a topic of the time with an eye for what it can do for him. He plays by his own rules and screeches when his whims are not massaged. Mark Cuban would do for a potential NCAA playoff system what an iceberg did for the Titanic.

Pee Wee 26
12-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I can't believe how out of context a lot of you took that article. If we had went to Mobile or Detroit and had not played yet, and say, FIU or MTSU went to NOLA, would you have thought twice about that statement if it were them instead of us? I bet you would have gotten what he was trying to say instead of getting offended.

I certainly understood his point & respectfully disagree with it. The teams he choose to use in his example are irrelevant for the most part. As stated in my first post, I hate he chose to mention TROY in this light. However, I think he was doing so to further/strengthen his argument.

Maybe, I'm just too simple. I think the bowls & BCS work just fine.

onlytrojans
12-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I was not offended by the article at all. However as for a playoff for D1 the simple solution is for the NCAA to run it. The present system is ran not by the NCAA but by the BCS and the bowls themselves. All other divisions playoffs are controled by the NCAA. We all know, or should know, that the motivation for the present system is money...money that is going to the BCS and to the bowls and/or the bowls location. It is not hard to figure out how to come up with a 16 team playoff... the NCAA handles that problem in the other divisions. A playoff could work ALONG with the bowls for the teams who don't make the top 16. Good common sense could fix the the playoff question.

BCTROJAN
12-28-2010, 10:49 PM
My issue has nothing to do with the playoff system or lack of. The Troy program can gain or loose relevance from what sports writers write. What he wrote in this article did not help build up Troy and to further that point could be perceived as a negative. The sheep will support the programs that get the positive press.