PDA

View Full Version : Thank you TCU!

JonesOxygen
12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks to the Horned Frogs, the Sun Bet actually did something nice. For the record, I predicted FIU would sell 200 tickets to Detroit.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/17/1977227/golden-panthers-struggling-to.html

tenaciousT
12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I read that earlier this morning. That is pretty sad that they have only sold that many tix. How many did we sell to Sillicon Valley Bowl? (Not how many were in the stands).

newnan trojan
12-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm surprised they sold that many really...

OwlFamily
12-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Not surprised.

FAU sold over 2k for our Detroit trip in 08 with the majority of them being donated to local charities.

The F_U's are just very new to this and neither of us have a fanbase that is in a position to travel well, or have a larger dicretionary income. I say this because while both schools have a large alumni base, well over 90% of them did not have atheltics as a part of thier college experience.

Once the Alumni who went to school and had football as part of thier memories get out and make it in the world, the travel and ticket sales will increase. It hasnt helped FIU any that:

1.)They havent had a winning season ever
2.)This is thier first bowl game.
3.) They came out of the gate pissed off about getting Detroit instead of being happy.

Gl in your Bowl Game, Ill be watching. Please win this time.

newnan trojan
12-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks Owlfamily..

We will win this time!!!! MR. HO rang the COWBELL!!!!!:wave:

tenaciousT
12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I am sure that most of the "few hundred" are being donated. I can't believe they haven't had more corporate sponsors step up to plate. I agree with Owl here. If they would've acted a little appreciative to be going to a bowl then they may have sold a few more tix.

After this fiasco, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Pizza Bowl take the SBC out of their contract, which, you really can't blame 'em

newnan trojan
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
If that happens then FIU needs to move down to 1AA till they can build a fan base....which is what should have happened when they started their program!

OwlFamily
12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
If that happens then FIU needs to move down to 1AA till they can build a fan base....which is what should have happened when they started their program!

Keep in mind that it was the Sun Belt confrence that asked both FAU & FIU to move up thier timetable for FBS to help the league survive in 2005.

Neither school was ready from a facility or fanbase perspecitve, but the 'Belt needed members after schools bolted to the WAC.

I actually agree with you. Both schools would of been better off staying at FCS for a few more years to build up the what was mentioned above. FAU was making strides in FCS and in 2004 finished 4 in the country. I honestly dont recall what FIU wound up at.

If the F_U's had not agreed to move up before we were ready, there would be no Sun Belt confrence in FBS.

newnan trojan
12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I can understand that....But now that the SBC is established FIU needs to move down to help build that base....I dont believe FAU should move down! We need to have atleast 1 FLA school and FAU has done well accept for the past couple years.

BCTROJAN
12-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Not slamming you but wouldn't moving down decrease chance of building a fan base? I think any up and coming program has to build credibility and their fan base through success in big arena.

newnan trojan
12-17-2010, 01:16 PM
They dont even meet the standards for the minimum amount of home attendance...

You can build success at the 1AA level.

And if you cant even hardly get 200 tickets to sell for your bowl game in which you just won a share of the conference you have no business at the 1A level. Thats just my 2 cents!

Nice Trojan
12-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Not slamming you but wouldn't moving down decrease chance of building a fan base? I think any up and coming program has to build credibility and their fan base through success in big arena.

And also - lets hypothetically say FIU moved UP instead of down to say the Big East, they would have a better turnout at games. It has been brought up numerous times that fans show for big name programs. Most average college football game attendees don't know who ULL, ULM, WKU etc., are. Heck, most of the average fans don't know anyone in the belt, including us. But they have heard of Uconn, USF, WVU, Louisville etc. So they may show up for a bigger name. Same could be said for any SBC school.

OwlFamily
12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
And also - lets hypothetically say FIU moved UP instead of down to say the Big East, they would have a better turnout at games. It has been brought up numerous times that fans show for big name programs. Most average college football game attendees don't know who ULL, ULM, WKU etc., are. Heck, most of the average fans don't know anyone in the belt, including us. But they have heard of Uconn, USF, WVU, Louisville etc. So they may show up for a bigger name. Same could be said for any SBC school.

Yup,

Its funny that you mention USF in your "heard off" list. It was just over a decade ago that they were one of "us". Amazing what memebership in the club can do for your program.

Im actually a lil scared about our opening next year for the stadium. The first home game will most likely be ULM since we couldnt find a "Big Time" school that had an opening. It's possible it wont be a sellout.

Now I will say that I have heard more buzz about FAU from the locals ever since the stadium got started with many of them saying now that its closer to home and in Palm Beac County instead of Broward that they would start coming to games.