PDA

View Full Version : Troy on SVP

ryan7907
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Scot Van Pelt has a Troy helment on his desk on the Scot Van Pelt Show on ESPN2!!!!

great shout out

tenaciousT
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
That is awesome! I never noticed that they used different helmets. The few times I have watched, I just figured the two helmets on there were the schools that SVP and RR went too.

tenaciousT
12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/Tylero18/2010-12-07_14-17-24_166.jpg

The Messenger
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
This made my day. I love this show. SVP is my dude.

Mike Cunningham
12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
How in the heck was he able to buy one?!!?!?!?!? I wanted to buy one forever now!

TroyTrojans2003
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
yes!!! please tell me how to buy a helmet!!!

CHughes1102
12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh how I would love love love to have a helmet!! It would be near impossible to get one though.

TroyTrojans2003
12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
I emailed his show, I am hoping to get a reply..now this would be a huge christmas present for me!! I would love to have one!! I would wear it and stuff at home lol!

CHughes1102
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM
I emailed his show, I am hoping to get a reply..now this would be a huge christmas present for me!! I would love to have one!! I would wear it and stuff at home lol!

Fall of the bagheads....rise of the helmetheads?

TroyFootball05
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
it's possible ESPN makes replicas for their own use. Actually, them being ESPN, they can probably get these schools to ship them a helmet at no cost.

CHughes1102
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
they can probably get these schools to ship them a helmet at no cost.

Exactly.

TROJANFAN26
12-07-2010, 05:21 PM
it's possible ESPN makes replicas for their own use. Actually, them being ESPN, they can probably get these schools to ship them a helmet at no cost.

I think you are probably right. It's sad that we can't purchase them though. I've got a signed Leodis Mckelvin mini-helmet, guess it'll do for now:))

TroyTrojans2003
12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
ltorres@riddellsports.com

is the contact person for Riddell product information. I emailed him inquiring about a full sized Troy helmet! I know many of us would like this. I also came up with a solution.

1. Buy a helmet in our color
2. buy the Troy shield stickers from the book store and apply on the sides

I know its not the best, but I would love for someone to try!!! I have been thinking about asking my mother-in-law to make me a Troy basketball jersey!! Desperate fans gotta do what they gotta do :)

The Messenger
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
From what I can tell from listening to his show, the schools just send them. They had Idaho's and Wyoming's up there for a long time and they would mention both schools quite often. I'm geeking out for real that ours was on there.

TroyReceiver
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
ltorres@riddellsports.com

is the contact person for Riddell product information. I emailed him inquiring about a full sized Troy helmet! I know many of us would like this. I also came up with a solution.

1. Buy a helmet in our color
2. buy the Troy shield stickers from the book store and apply on the sides

I know its not the best, but I would love for someone to try!!! I have been thinking about asking my mother-in-law to make me a Troy basketball jersey!! Desperate fans gotta do what they gotta do :)

TT 2003. If you get a helmet PM me. I'm pretty sure I can get you the sticker that goes on the side of the game helmets. CLB helped me get some a few years back when I was working on my golf cart.

troystudent05
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Actually, I think Schutt supplies ESPN with the helmets of all D-I (or FBS) schools. They have a similar deal with Riddell on the NFL helmets they use on air.

Mike Cunningham
12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Actually, I think Schutt supplies ESPN with the helmets of all D-I (or FBS) schools. They have a similar deal with Riddell on the NFL helmets they use on air.

From what I can tell/hear Schutt is close to going out of business.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the thread. I'm sorry.

bigguyonright
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I read somewhere the idaho and wyo helmets on the desk are the guys way of giving love to the small schools that don't normally get any. Neither of them attended either school but svp and rr like the 2 for some reason

Discophobia
12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I have been wanting a helmet for my office for years. I even contacted the people that made the throw back helmets a couple of years ago. They told me that they would love to sell TROY helmets like they do for many other schools, but the University will not release the rights for them to do so. There are plenty of sites that sell helmets, but none sell TROY helmets. As for getting the decals and putting them on a helmet, I have never seen a decal in the bookstore that matches the ones on the helmets. They all have alumni, football etc on the bottom of them. Let me know if anyone has any inside info, I would love to have one.

TrueTrojan
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I know for a fact that if any of you know anyone within the Athletic Dept there is a way to get your hands on an official TROY helmet. Every year there are helmets that can't be reconditioned/certified to be used on the field, however, they still look great. I'm not 100% sure what the going rate is now but I know in the past between $100-150 will get you one.

Just passing along some info...

Mike Cunningham
12-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I know for a fact that if any of you know anyone within the Athletic Dept there is a way to get your hands on an official TROY helmet. Every year there are helmets that can't be reconditioned/certified to be used on the field, however, they still look great. I'm not 100% sure what the going rate is now but I know in the past between $100-150 will get you one.

Just passing along some info...

Not that I'm some kind of big wig or anything, but I have asked in the past year and gotten no as an answer.

Again, I understand I'm no big timer, but I wasn't asking for free and I'm a member of every athletic donation device that we have. Based on your post, I would have assumed that I would have been given that chance to buy a helmet.

ryan7907
12-08-2010, 03:03 PM
SVP has an UAB helment on the desk today

TrueTrojan
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Not that I'm some kind of big wig or anything, but I have asked in the past year and gotten no as an answer.

Again, I understand I'm no big timer, but I wasn't asking for free and I'm a member of every athletic donation device that we have. Based on your post, I would have assumed that I would have been given that chance to buy a helmet.

I don't have a clue who can or can't get a helmet. I have never personally received one, however, someone very close to me has gotten 2 in the past. They got these directly from LB for somewhere in the price range I mentioned. There is a way...I just don't know what all goes into it. Not trying to ruffle feathers, like I said just passing along info/hope.

Mike Cunningham
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't have a clue who can or can't get a helmet. I have never personally received one, however, someone very close to me has gotten 2 in the past. They got these directly from LB for somewhere in the price range I mentioned. There is a way...I just don't know what all goes into it. Not trying to ruffle feathers, like I said just passing along info/hope.

No feathers ruffled. I realize my place in the hierarchy of things as they stand.

I am just frustrated by the lack of licensed items that I can purchase. Including a real (replica) full size helmet!

Edit: I have never asked LB. I figure he's got more important things to do (worry about) then whether I want to buy a helmet or not. I have gone other avenues. Just wanted to make it clear.

TrueTrojan
12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I completely agree. I think the supply of licensed TROY gear/memorabilia leaves alot to be desired. It's a tough situation b/c companies don't want to produce lots of licensed products for a fan base that doesn't spend significant money, yet the fan base would spend more money if there were more quality products offered. I don't know the answer. I would like to think that if there was a high enough demand for any particular product that someone would offer it.

I know Sohail used to be over licensing for the university...maybe he's a start?
Theoretically if he received hundreds of requests for helmets they would find a way to make them available.

Another idea would be for the athletic department itself to actually post some of the uncertified helmets on the Auction page of TroyTrojans.com. I would think they would be a very popular item.

Who knows? Just some ideas...

Mike Cunningham
12-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Another idea would be for the athletic department itself to actually post some of the uncertified helmets on the Auction page of TroyTrojans.com. I would think they would be a very popular item.

Who knows? Just some ideas...

Great ideas/thoughts. I brought this up to Faith a few years ago. My suggestions was to get little mini basketballs (or footballs) have the head coach sign them and then auction them off. Very small price to pay and I can gurantee you that they'd sell.

A few years ago, Trojan Warrior program did a deal where if you donated a minimum of $250 you'd get an autographed bowl game football. That (in my opinion) is a WINNING idea. I suggested they do the same thing last year but with basketballs with Maestri's signature. I was told there was no money to do this.

While I definitly think we should/could be doing more on the licensing front I will support TROY no matter what. I guess the positive thing with the current situation is I at least get to save a ton of money (since I have nothing new to buy!).

PCTrojan
12-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Ok while I am not going to take full 100% honors of getting the helmet on the show this week, I do however feel as though I had something to do with it.

Last friday when he and Ryan were closing the show they are talking about the buffalo helmets that were up there and said if you are one of those obscure schools with a cool helmet and story send me an email and perhaps I can get it on the show!

OK so I sent him and email pumping up the program and the 5th straight sunbelt title!

Like I said it may not have been just me, but I know I sent the email out reuqesting it...

Anyways GO TROY!

Discophobia
12-09-2010, 07:58 AM
PCTrojan, You should be head of the sports marketing department at TROY University. Great Job! As one fan to another thanks for pushing TROY.