PDA

View Full Version : Potential Rookie of the Year?

CattouseFan
08-02-2005, 11:55 PM
by Mike Fisher of TheRanchReport.com, August 2, 2005 at 3:51pm ET

Demarcus Ware has already established himself as a first-team in one department: He's a sound-bite machine.

"We can be the missing link,'' the rookie OLB says of himself and fellow newcomer Marcus Spears.

Or this: "I'm fixing to go to sleep,'' he said after a 5 a.m. arrival and a quick practice.

And this: "I'm setting my goals high. I am trying to get Rookie of the Year, trying to get Defensive Player of the Year."

Skeptics need to check out more than just Ware's work at practice; they need to scan the record books. Here's the last 10 men to win NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year: 1995 Hugh Douglas, 1996 Simeon Rice, 1997 Peter Boulware, 1998 Charles Woodson, 1999 Jevon Kearse, 2000 Brian Urlacher, 2001 Kendrell Bell, 2002 Julius Peppers, 2003 Terrell Suggs, and 2004 Jonathan Vilma.

A common thread? You bet. Of those 10 guys, all but two of them (Woodson and Vilma) put up sack numbers.

Seven of the eight (all but Urlacher, a middle linebacker who recorded eight sacks his rookie year) are off-the-edge pass rushers.

From Bell's nine sacks to Kearse's 14.5, voters seem to be enamored with the rookie pass rushers -- exactly the role Ware plans to play for Dallas.

Sarahbelle
08-03-2005, 07:16 AM
I can't wait for DW's first MNF game.

ksdtrojan
08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
definitely made me a Cowboy fan again. I am excited to see how he performs and I will probably watch more NFL football this year than in recent years because of DW and other Trojans being in the NFL. AHHH! It feels good posting again.

tsufl
08-03-2005, 08:40 AM
I hate the Cowboys, but I have a Ware jersey on order!