PDA

View Full Version : Iowa State crying about Army buying out their contract

RedEdgeTrojan
08-01-2005, 08:37 AM
http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050728/SPORTS020602/507280383/1066

ISU adds two more meetings with UNI
Eastern Michigan will replace Army in Sept. 2 opener in 2006.
By RANDY PETERSON
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
July 28, 2005
Ames, Ia. - Iowa State looked up the road when the NCAA gave Division I college football teams permission to add a 12th game. The Cyclones hooked up with Northern Iowa for a three-game series starting Sept. 30, 2006.

"We had a game in 2008 already scheduled," Iowa State athletic director Bruce Van De Velde said Wednesday, "so we decided to go ahead and fill openings in '07 and '06 as well."

Iowa State holds a 17-3-3 lead in the series. The last meeting between the schools was the Cyclones' 23-0 win last season in Ames. Iowa State will pay Northern Iowa $300,000 per year for the three-game series.
NCAA Division I-A programs can count one victory against a I-AA team annually toward bowl eligibility. NCAA rules had limited Division I-A schools from using a victory against a I-AA opponent for bowl eligibility to once in a four-year period.

Van De Velde said there are additional changes in the 2006 schedule - Eastern Michigan will replace Army in the Sept. 2 opener at Jack Trice Stadium, and the Cyclones' game against Texas will be played on Sept. 23 in Austin, Texas, not Sept. 30 as previously scheduled.
The Cyclones open this season Sept. 3 against Illinois State at 6 p.m. at Jack Trice Stadium.

"The Big 12 Conference wanted next year's Texas game as part of the conference television package, so we moved it," Van De Velde said. "Exposure like that is always desired."

The cancellation of the Army game was not met with as much goodwill.

"I'm disappointed that Army will not fulfill the contract," Van De Velde said. "They want to play more home games and ease their schedule, so they've opted to buy out of the game."
The Cyclones play at Army on Sept. 23. The Black Knights will pay Iowa State $350,000 to get out of the 2006 game that was supposed to be played in Ames.

"When a big 12 school goes on the road, you expect to get a return game," Van De Velde said. "We're real disappointed Army chose not to return the game and honor the contract, but that happens in our business."

On other business-related topics, Van De Velde said he hopes to have the new contract of men's basketball coach Wayne Morgan signed this week. Monday, Van De Velde said Morgan agreed to a five-year contract that will replace his current contract that expires on June 30, 2007.
Neither Van De Velde or Morgan would disclose the financial terms of the new contract. Morgan will earn $600,000 for the 2005-06 season, according to the contract he signed on Aug. 11, 2003 after he replaced embattled coach Larry Eustachy.

Van De Velde said football coach Dan McCarney's contract also could be re-worked.

"I think a lot will depend on how we do this year," said Van De Velde. "If (McCarney) has a really good year, we probably will come back and try to get his salary a little more competitive with where the others are."
McCarney's contract calls for a guaranteed salary of $960,000 this season. The contract expires on June 30, 2010.

"The bar keeps being raised on coaches salaries, so it's hard to keep up," Van De Velde said. "We can't look at Texas - we just have to try to do the best Iowa State can do."

Etc.: Van De Velde said a study will be conducted this fall to determine if there is interest for more club seating and luxury suites at Jack Trice Stadium. "Our suites are full," Van De Velde said, "and we have people on a waiting list." . . . Van De Velde also said the athletic department has raised $9.4 million during the last 12 months. The previous year's fund-raising efforts generated $4.85 million.

I guess now they know how it feels.

tsufl
08-01-2005, 01:12 PM
WHAT THE F*CK!!!
Hes upset about it? Someone needs to email that tard and say "welcome to the club" Crying over losing Army, hell we lost a national TV game when they bought out of our contract. Looks like ISU can buy out of a contract but you cant buy out of one with them.

Sarahbelle
08-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Theres some karma for ya, Cyclones!

Lord-Mustang
08-01-2005, 02:13 PM
All I can say...."Sucks to the them!"

TSUWhiner
08-01-2005, 03:43 PM
dude now I am pissed..what is their local shamocal paper? I mean come on..they are pissed after that crap???? stupid ISU..that would have been nice for us to kick their rear ends our first game...they are suppose to honor our contracts..stupid idiots..CYCLONE domination my @ss

Whiner