PDA

View Full Version : Troy searching for better team chemistry

trojanbrutha
11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Troy searching for better team chemistry (http://www2.dothaneagle.com/sports/2010/nov/22/troy-searching-better-team-chemistry-ar-1123237/)

By Drew Champlin
Published: November 22, 2010

TROY — Troy isn’t used to trying to hang on to a .500 record this late in the season. A recent string of failure — three losses in four games — may be taking its toll in the locker room.

The Trojans (5-5, 4-2 Sun Belt) host Western Kentucky (2-9, 2-5) Saturday at 2:30 p.m. hoping to become bowl eligible. Troy must hope for FIU to lose twice to win the league title outright, but FIU controls its destiny on stopping Troy’s four-year run of conference titles.
Winning the conference isn’t on the minds of some Trojan seniors, but protecting a legacy is.

MusicMan
11-23-2010, 12:25 PM
So it's not ALL the coaches fault, but I figured that some players were more about I than the team. If Jerrell, who's going to the NFL no matter if we win or lose and will have a dang good career, can sit there and be about the team, then no one should have a problem, IMO

Pcbtrojan
11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
If you think it is the team it is more of a generational thing. I know you have exceptions to the rule but with many kids now the "I" word is more common than the "Team." This is the text/facebook/twitter/ I want everyone to know everything about what "I" am doing right now generation. Think about it how much do you have to be in contact with someone on a daily basis. Think about the amount of communication that takes place. I bet if they were allowed they would be texting on the bench during a game to their facebook account or twitter about the great play they just made. More work has to be done when a kid comes into the program. What has worked in the past for the most part may not be effective with this generation. If you don't believe me talk to someone that has recently retired from the military or teaches. Take a look at your own kids. I know each generation is different but ask the kids today who their heros are. It will amaze you with the answers you will get.

Mine are My late brother
Neil Armstrong
Col Joshua L. Chamberlain

Who are your heros?
Who are your kids?

MusicMan
11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
My heros are my grandpa's and my dad
My late principal
Every teacher that I've ever had
oh, and Bobby Cox

Yea, I know what you're saying. I guess I'm part of this "I" Generation, but it doesn't have much of a bearing on me, at least, I don't think it does. I hate when people make things all about themselves, and as a future educator, I hate that some school boards are making teachers literally give good grades so the state doesn't take what little funding they do give. I'm not getting on this soap box, but it aggravates me

Pcbtrojan
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I think you do get it. Remember the rule does not apply to all. Now here is the hard part, can you make your kids, your students get it one day. Because if it were easy it would not be worth it

MusicMan
11-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I tried to pass that along to my friends that are still in high school that I subbed for last year, yes, I'm a substitute teacher at my high school :thumb:, and a few of them seemed to get it. If something doesn't get better soon, this worlds in for trouble. BTW I'm going to be one of those teachers, Music Ed., that makes sure that people actually learn something in my class and they're going to hate it

spotter
11-23-2010, 11:26 PM
BTW I'm going to be one of those teachers, Music Ed., that makes sure that people actually learn something in my class and they're going to hate it

I do hope this is in jest. Present music in a light they understand and can relate to and they will always have fond memories of you.:thumb:

MusicMan
11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Some people just don't like to learn music, sometimes you have to present it to where they will learn or fail, and there were a few that just didn't care and they failed, well, when I had them they failed.

spotter
11-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Some people just don't like to learn music, sometimes you have to present it to where they will learn or fail, and there were a few that just didn't care and they failed, well, when I had them they failed.

I do understand.

What if you used a contemporary singer as an example to teach the basics? Taylor Swift for example or a rap star who I can't name, depending on the students you teach? The basics are the same, right?

MusicMan
11-24-2010, 01:11 AM
depends on where you would like to start with the "basics". Rap music, and personally, I use the term music loosely here, is hard to pick out the melody if you take the lyrics out becuase it's all midi music. I had the class listen to a few scores from some movies that I knew they wouldn't recognize and had them put their heads down and tell me what they saw, and I got a lot of interesting answers. When I showed the movie Amadeus, it was funny because the majority got into it so much, they wanted to stay after class to watch more, just to see if Salieri actually killed Mozart

TrojanFan2000
11-24-2010, 04:07 AM
This article actually explains alot.

GoTroyGo1
11-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I had Dr Frederick for Music appreciation at Troy. He actually made you study. I still remember the "Lone Ranger" theme is the William Tell Overture:thumb:

MusicMan
11-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I've heard Dr. Frederick is pretty good, and most people seem to like him, but I've never had him personally

trojanbrutha
11-24-2010, 01:29 PM
I had Dr Frederick for Music appreciation at Troy. He actually made you study. I still remember the "Lone Ranger" theme is the William Tell Overture:thumb:

Any insight on the football team or firing of JR...? Or is music appreciation week just taking precedence today?

MusicMan
11-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Any insight on the football team or firing of JR...? Or is music appreciation week just taking precedence today?

It's taking precedence this week

trojanbrutha
11-24-2010, 07:06 PM
It's taking precedence this week

Oh...on the SoTS board?

Anyway, thanks to Drew for writing an article that's going to make it's rounds on other boards. Our team is human, but they're Trojans. I'll be at the game to show my appreciation for the team and especially the seniors.