PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Davis Leads Four Trojans On All-Sun Belt Team

TroyTrojanMan
07-25-2005, 07:24 PM
NEW ORLEANS, La. – Senior linebacker Bernard Davis (Madison, Fla.) was one of four Troy University Trojans named to the 2005 preseason All-Sun Belt Conference team Monday at the start of the annual Sun Belt Football Media Days.
Davis, who led the Trojans with 108 tackles last season and was the only Sun Belt Conference player named by the Charlotte Touchdown Club to the Bronco Nagurski Watch List, was selected as the league’s preseason Defensive Player of the Year. He follows in the footsteps of former teammate Demarcus Ware, who was the 2004 Defensive Player of the Year for the Sun Belt.

Joining Davis on the preseason team were senior defensive tackle Torre Lankford (Jacksonville, Ala.), senior cornerback Johnny Faulk (Dothan, Ala.) and senior offensive lineman Zarah Yisrael (Jacksonville, Fla.).

In addition to the All-Conference team, which was selected by the eight conference coaches, the league also announced the pre-season predicted order of finish in the race for the 2005 Sun Belt title and a berth in the New Orleans Bowl.

The conference coaches picked the 2005 race to finish at the top just as it did in 2004, with four-time defending league champion North Texas picked first, and Troy picked to finish second. The rest of the pre-season picks had Middle Tennessee slated third, Louisiana-Lafayette picked fourth, Louisiana-Monroe fifth, Arkansas State sixth, Florida Atlantic seventh and Florida International eighth.

North Texas’ running back tandem of sophomore Jamario Thomas and senior Patrick Cobbs were tabbed as the Co-Offensive Players of the Year by the league coaches. The Mean Green led the league with nine pre-season All-Sun Belt picks.

Troy tied with Louisiana-Monroe for second with four All-Sun Belt picks each. Middle Tennessee, Louisiana-Lafayette and Florida International had two players named to the team each while Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic were represented on the All-Sun Belt team by one player each.

The 2005 Sun Belt Conference Football Media Day will continue through Tuesday in New Orleans.

The Troy Trojans will report for the start of training camp for te 2005 season on Thursday, August 4. The Trojans will open the 2005 season on September 3 at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium against Cal Poly.

littlebittyschool
07-25-2005, 08:56 PM
As much as I love Olmstead, Stelly from ULM can kick the bejesus out of the ball. Still, if I needed my punter to pin the other team inside the 20, I'd talk Olmstead any day.

The only one I couldn't agree with was Quinn from North Texas as the kick returner. Leodis was robbed! That's ok though, Leodis and TO and Wibbs will be on the one that counts... the one at the end of the year.

NCMeanGreen
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
As much as I love Olmstead, Stelly from ULM can kick the bejesus out of the ball. Still, if I needed my punter to pin the other team inside the 20, I'd talk Olmstead any day.

The only one I couldn't agree with was Quinn from North Texas as the kick returner. Leodis was robbed! That's ok though, Leodis and TO and Wibbs will be on the one that counts... the one at the end of the year.

I don't know...JQ can tear up the field pretty good. He has put on 20 pounds of muscle since he has been playing for NT, and this has not affected his speed as he was a member of the track team as well. I believe he could knock the snot out of most KR pursuers! 8)

littlebittyschool
07-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I like Quinn a lot. His clutch catches have made teams pay when they over committed to stop the UNT running game. Nothing against him at all. He's a fine athelete.

Leodis didn't even start returning punts and kickoffs till midway through the season. He had 2 punts returned for TDs and an INT returned. He also had at least 2 punts returned for TDs that were called back on penalties. He just takes the ball, runs right up the middle and somehow busts out of the pack and takes off. If they stop him with the first couple of guys, he usually gets at least 10 yarads... and if the first couple don't stop him.. WATCH OUT! He and Whibbs and TO are our "X" factor this year. Our good defense will cancel out or bad offense. How the special teams perform will be the difference in a winning season with a possible trip to New Orelans and a losing season with several games where we wonder "What Happened?"