PDA

View Full Version : Scoring D under JR

Tums
11-16-2010, 09:24 AM
JR has been a DC for 6 years and here is the scoring D rank results. We will go with Scoring Defense since the score is what decides the game.
2005 39th
2006 55th
2007 44th
2008 33rd
2009 92nd
2010 90th so far

Anyone that has been keeping up with Troy knows the Academic and Depth issues in 2009 & 2010. My Math tells me that even with the issues over the last 2 years JR has turned out an average scoring D better than half the teams out there during his time @ DC. I am like everyone else and disappointed with some of the performances JR has had. I know in years past Troy has produced better numbers than JR has. The fact was also there that teams did not have to bring the Offensive Game plan to match up like they do now. When your D allows only 16 points and your O can not score 10 it is still a loss. I know alot of you want to trade him in with his top half average performance for bottom of the barrell wages. The Fact is in 04 with Ware we had a top 10 Scoring D that had a record of 7-5. That same top 10 D did not result in a Conference Championship or a Bowl game win. What was amazing about 04 was also how the D was so good it allowed a Bottom 10 O rank alot higher in Scoring O. I know some of you like to talk about OSi's year in 2002 where Troy had a top 4 total Defense that was Actually 30th in scoring D. See in 2002 the Total O & Scoring O (ranked in the bottom 10) and was giving teams a short field to work with so it did not take many total yards to score. All 2002 got Troy was 4-8 record with ZERO WINS IN D1A in what was the best ever ranked 1A Total D in Troy History.

Hemi Man
11-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Excellent Post!! Looks a little different when its put out in front of you. I would also be willing to bet we have one of the smallest defensive fronts in all of D1 football.

Discophobia
11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
JR has been a DC for 6 years and here is the scoring D rank results. We will go with Scoring Defense since the score is what decides the game.
2005 39th
2006 55th
2007 44th
2008 33rd
2009 92nd
2010 90th so far

Anyone that has been keeping up with Troy knows the Academic and Depth issues in 2009 & 2010. My Math tells me that even with the issues over the last 2 years JR has turned out an average scoring D better than half the teams out there during his time @ DC. I am like everyone else and disappointed with some of the performances JR has had. I know in years past Troy has produced better numbers than JR has. The fact was also there that teams did not have to bring the Offensive Game plan to match up like they do now. When your D allows only 16 points and your O can not score 10 it is still a loss. I know alot of you want to trade him in with his top half average performance for bottom of the barrell wages. The Fact is in 04 with Ware we had a top 10 Scoring D that had a record of 7-5. That same top 10 D did not result in a Conference Championship or a Bowl game win. What was amazing about 04 was also how the D was so good it allowed a Bottom 10 O rank alot higher in Scoring O. I know some of you like to talk about OSi's year in 2002 where Troy had a top 4 total Defense that was Actually 30th in scoring D. See in 2002 the Total O & Scoring O (ranked in the bottom 10) and was giving teams a short field to work with so it did not take many total yards to score. All 2002 got Troy was 4-8 record with ZERO WINS IN D1A in what was the best ever ranked 1A Total D in Troy History.

What you fail to mention is that we had an offensive coordinator that wasnt getting the job done, so we went and brought in someone on offense that could get the job done. Now our offense is rolling and our defense is down, so we need to go out and bring in someone that can get the job done on defense.

trojanbrutha
11-16-2010, 12:18 PM
gamecocksblog Travis Haney
Spurrier credits players for UF performance: "I coached the same against Arkansas and we played like crap."
4 minutes ago

reded
11-16-2010, 03:31 PM
2005 39th
2006 55th
2007 44th
2008 33rd
2009 92nd
2010 90th so far

With South Carolina coming up, I'm sure, with due diligence, we can be ranked in the triple digits by Sunday. Gawd this is ugly!

TroyFootball05
11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
What you fail to mention is that we had an offensive coordinator that wasnt getting the job done, so we went and brought in someone on offense that could get the job done. Now our offense is rolling and our defense is down, so we need to go out and bring in someone that can get the job done on defense.

Reading his post, he also makes mention of the "academic and depth issues" we have. That's a huge part of why we're ranked in the 90's over the last two years. You can't coach the stupidity out of some people. Last year a huge chunk of our secondary decided they didn't want to come to class and our ballin' d line couldn't make up for people being stupid. One of those guys was ineligible his senior year and still got drafted. That's how much an asset he was to our team. This year all american eugene kinlaw went to the cfl. We had four guys who were supposed to contribute, kicked off the team. And you guys don't think that matters. You guys think the coaches should be able to get any player from any small school and make him a superstar. It doesn't work that way, we're getting beaten by size, and you can't coach that. At least not in 3 or 4 months. We don't have the size or depth to do any scheme well right now. That's not all JR's fault. If you want to blame someone, blame the guys who bailed on us by violating team rules and not going to class.

It's like saying Donald Trump can make anyone a billionare - there's a certain amount of responsibility on both sides, not just the coaches. Jeremy Rowell can't roll out his magic scepter of injury curing or wave his wand of experience on the players.

I guess what gets me most, is everyone wants to comfort the players will pillows and chocolates. Because for most of you, it's never their fault. Only JR's fault. We're hurting right now because we're small and we're thin in numbers. But I will say this. It really isn't their fault. They're doing the best they can with what they have. The best thing we can do is hope LB brings in a few quality JUCO's with some size and talent to fill some holes. And hope that the talent we have improves.

Hemi Man
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't underestimate the loss of Valcin. HUGE. Kinlaw, Elder, and Corley not being healthy. HUGE.

trojanbrutha
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Reading his post, he also makes mention of the "academic and depth issues" we have. That's a huge part of why we're ranked in the 90's over the last two years. You can't coach the stupidity out of some people. Last year a huge chunk of our secondary decided they didn't want to come to class and our ballin' d line couldn't make up for people being stupid. One of those guys was ineligible his senior year and still got drafted. That's how much an asset he was to our team. This year all american eugene kinlaw went to the cfl. We had four guys who were supposed to contribute, kicked off the team. And you guys don't think that matters. You guys think the coaches should be able to get any player from any small school and make him a superstar. It doesn't work that way, we're getting beaten by size, and you can't coach that. At least not in 3 or 4 months. We don't have the size or depth to do any scheme well right now. That's not all JR's fault. If you want to blame someone, blame the guys who bailed on us by violating team rules and not going to class.

It's like saying Donald Trump can make anyone a billionare - there's a certain amount of responsibility on both sides, not just the coaches. Jeremy Rowell can't roll out his magic scepter of injury curing or wave his wand of experience on the players.

I guess what gets me most, is everyone wants to comfort the players will pillows and chocolates. Because for most of you, it's never their fault. Only JR's fault. We're hurting right now because we're small and we're thin in numbers. But I will say this. It really isn't their fault. They're doing the best they can with what they have. The best thing we can do is hope LB brings in a few quality JUCO's with some size and talent to fill some holes. And hope that the talent we have improves.

http://stylembe.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/applause1234363884-1.gif

CHughes1102
11-16-2010, 05:21 PM
The players keep saying we have bad weeks of practice and lining up in the wrong schemes and crap. How many weeks are we going to put up with this junk?

Hemi Man
11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
The players keep saying we have bad weeks of practice and lining up in the wrong schemes and crap. How many weeks are we going to put up with this junk?

Are you saying the players don't know the plays?

CHughes1102
11-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Are you saying the players don't know the plays?

Im saying they keep lining up wrong and junk. Also with Rowell calling the wrong plays at the wrong times keeps getting us burnt. Though no worries you will still find reasons to back him when he gives up over 500 yards RUSHING to FIU.

Hemi Man
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Im saying they keep lining up wrong and junk. Also with Rowell calling the wrong plays at the wrong times keeps getting us burnt. Though no worries you will still find reasons to back him when he gives up over 500 yards RUSHING to FIU.

Sounds like the blame falls on the coaches and players. Kind of where it should.

Tums
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Because the OC's performance was way worse than JR's as they never where in the top half in scoring on any year in 1A without as many personnel issues. I would think if JR put in Consective Bottom 10 years like Troy did on O that his job would be up for hire. Like wise I think if our O would have been top half performers we would have never seen Tony Franklin. Just keep the Apples with the apples while you have that bad taste in your mouth from the performance the D has given as of late.

Tums
11-16-2010, 06:05 PM

Call out the position coach responsible first, then the player second. The DC can not help if he calls a blitz and someone is out of place. This is really a by product of the other problems I mentioned for 09 & 10. Players are having to play that may not be 100% ready to play. We have had people playing in spots after only a few days of practice because of the depth issues in 09 & 10.

Tums
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM

The man admitted he called the wrong plays sometimes and did not back his own performance against FIU so why should we. The fact is he has to gamble more because of the players he has available to put on the field this year. I am not knocking any player for playing the best he can. I am just saying given the circumstances we do not have the players on the field to beat some teams without gambling. Like you, I would be Calling for JR's job had he turned in thesee kind of performances with out player and depth issues. If JR had not had those good years with the D I would be right in there with you guys calling for his head. I was one of the main people calling for Fleetwood to be gone.

Trojans1andAll
11-17-2010, 02:58 AM

What about the losses to Sun Belt teams? Are all of the reports about our recruiting classes lies? Are we being out recruited and out sized by FIU? FIU? If that is the case we then maybe we really do need to consider going back to DI-AA.

TroyFootball05
11-17-2010, 08:02 AM
What about the losses to Sun Belt teams? Are all of the reports about our recruiting classes lies? Are we being out recruited and out sized by FIU? FIU? If that is the case we then maybe we really do need to consider going back to DI-AA.

I just told you, the cream of the crop of those classes decided they wanted to screw around and not go to class. No lies, they're just gone. We have a few of those gems left like Jacoby Thomas, Massaquio, and Addison. But it's not enough. Losing Valcin to injury and Eugene to the CFL just makes it worse. But the bulk of you act like that doesn't matter, like JR is some freakin wonderkid who can make all these problems go away by looking at them. Yes, we got outsized by FIU, Don't like it? Take it up with the five people (and a few others) who aren't here anymore. They were our top recruits. No one ever blames them.

Them and the four who became ineligible last year is why we've sucked on defense the past two years. You guys want a dollar out of a dime. You have to get used to the fact that we simply don't have the experience or talent on defense we've had the last few years because people wanna act stupid and get kicked off or deemed ineligible by the NCAA. I don't see hoqw anyone can not see that as a huge problem.

Some of you will say, its the coaches job to make sure they're doing all that. That's BS. They're doing all they can. You yell, scream, and be there for them until you're blue in the face, but you can't make them go to class. Personal accountability goes for student athletes too you know, not just the coaches. If they don't go to class, they can't blame the coaches. It's their own dumb fault.