PDA

View Full Version : Coach Blakeney

Troy91
07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Blakeney Awarded Four-Year Contract Extension
TROY, Ala. – Troy University Director of Athletics Steve Dennis announced today that Trojans head football coach Larry Blakeney has been awarded a four-year contract extension through May of 2009. The new contract provides for an annual salary of $215,000.

Blakeney, 57, has served as the head football coach at Troy University since 1991 and has won more games, 115, than any other football coach in school history.

“I felt that it was a priority for us to get this contract extension taken care of as soon as possible,” Dennis said. “Larry has been such an important part of the growth of the entire Troy University athletics program and we wanted to make sure he knows how much we appreciate all that he has done in the past, and to make a commitment to him for the future.”

In approving the contract, Troy University Chancellor, Jack Hawkins, Jr., stated, “Larry Blakeney is one of the finest men in college athletics. His long tenure has been one of the key ingredients in the success we have enjoyed. I am delighted he has re-committed to serving Troy University.”

Blakeney, whose career record stands at 115-53-1, is currently tied with Hall of Fame coach Frank Thomas as the fourth winningest coach in the history of college football in the state of Alabama. Only Paul “Bear” Bryant from Alabama (232), Cleve Abbott from Tuskegee (203) and Ralph “Shug” Jordan, who coached Blakeney at Auburn (176), stand in front of Blakeney on the all-time list.

Blakeney will begin his 15th season at Troy University on September 3 when the Trojans host Cal Poly at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium. Kickoff for the season opener is set for 6 p.m.

TrojanWar
07-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Congrats Coach! We hope you stay around until you are so old you can't run out on the field anymore! I sure do wish you made more money though. That's still less than many D1A coordinators make these days.

faithintsu
07-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Congrats Coach!!

Glad to see he got a good raise and we can keep him around for a few more years!!

tsu59
07-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Anyone know about a new football assistant coach named Brown ? Havn't met him but he recently moved into house down the street.