PDA

View Full Version : Band road trips

Carolina Trojan
07-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Anybody know which road games the band will be going to this year?

tsufl
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I know they are going to USC and I think they are going to Laf, Monroe and ASU, any of the bandies would be able to answer this better.

troy4ever
07-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Word is that their attendance at the South Carolina game has been canceled. Not sure on the exact details of this, but this news comes from a member inside the program that is in-the-know this summer. I do believe they are still scheduled for La-Monroe and Arkansas State. Unfortunatly I can't give any more specifics about any of the other games becaues I do not know.

tsufl
07-15-2005, 12:44 PM
why in the hell did they cancel going to USC?

troy4ever
07-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't know, but don't blame it on the band. They are told where they can and can't go due to budget restraints.

Carolina Trojan
07-15-2005, 12:52 PM
The USC trip could be an over and back trip. No need to spend the night. Crazy.............

tsufl
07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Im blaming the band.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
07-15-2005, 01:22 PM
As of the schedule released this week, the band is going to LA-Lafayette and Arkansas State. Right now they have USC listed as an "Open" date. Hey, donate some money to the band and maybe they can go. :lol: Really though, it's more important to the administration to have the band at conference games-they are the ones that provide the money and say when and where.

Carolina Trojan
07-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Play in front of maybe 10,000 - 15,000 fans instead of 80,000 + and fork out $$$ for hotel, food, etc. Right on!!!!!! Makes sense to me.[/i]

SOTSAlumBigGuns
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I didn't say it made sense, just putting the facts out. I'm all for them playing at USC and anywhere else we play.

Carolina Trojan
07-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Wasn't directed at you SOTS... directed at the decision makers.

TSUWhiner
07-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Tsufl i miss you dude..all the good times and crack ups we had. I have one for you...not only do I blame the band..but I also blame them for not having the fight song in NCAA 2006 this year :) hehehe Dude PM me sometime so we can exchange cell numbers!

Whiner!

BMarkey
07-16-2005, 05:20 PM
If the decision making wasn't crazy, it would be funny.

A few years ago, the band TU (leaders) gave up Miami and a TV game for Middle Tennessee and a crowd of around 10,000.

Now, word is, the band leaders will blow off 80,000 people and a packed South Carolina stadium for La Laf and maybe 12,000 people,, plus Ark. State and maybe 20,000?

It's not a finding issue but a wise decision issue. I don't understand it.

pkf4troy
07-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Lets see.....the issue is that the USC game doesnt count towards us going to New Orleans. Wish the money was there to go to every game but it isnt. Crowd size has nothing to do with it. Its all a matter of which games are the most important. I am tired of year after year, people taking pot shots at the band. If you were as knowledgeable about the music program as you make it seem that you are about the football team, then maybe you would understand. This is in no way pointed at one person....if you take it that way so be it!

troy4ever
07-16-2005, 08:02 PM
The year the band gave up the Miami game was the same year we played Nebraska the first time. The reason the attendance of the Miami game was canceled was because of the band attending the Nebraska game instead. I remember many people on here ranting leading into that game because originally the band wasn't going and many thought they should without a doubt be at the Nebraska game since it was a game of such magnitude. It took so much money to bus the 250 members plus staff out there, pay for hotel rooms for two nights, plus perdiums for food for each student that there wasn't necessarily the money to also attend Miami. That is why the pep band went to Miami instead. The band followed the trip to Nebraska with a trip to MTSU the very next week which also was a televised game. The reason the band chose to go to Nebraska (at the last minute, two weeks before the game) was because an alumni that really wanted the Sound of the South there stepped up and gave enough money to add to their current budget in order to make it happen. This alumni did not completly flip the bill for the band to go, just added the funds needed to make the trip happen, thus leaving the band without the funds to also attend the Miami game.

To my knowledge, the name of that doner has yet to be revealed because they wished to remain anonymous.

BMarkey
07-16-2005, 09:35 PM
I get the importance of a conference game. But in our conference, the rivalries and suspense are just not there. At least yet.

Band decisions (I don't blame the band or even its leadership for budgetary decisions) should be about the overall image-making impact as much as the game situation. After all, does the team really play better when hearing some familiar tunes?

PK4: Did I mention that I was a big Sound fan? Did I mention that I have gone out of my way to make pictures of the band at every game - including in San Jose, and even e-mailed band photos from California and elsewhere to band parents and local newspapers? Did I ention that I had organized my daughter's Palm Beach County high school to host the Sound when it was to come to South Florida (later canceled)? Did I mention that I have gotten to know the last two band directors a bit and have a cordial relationship with them? Did I mention that I have some friends in the band? Did I mention that I always supported the band going to Nebraska and hated being in Nebraska the next year and hearing all the fans ask where the Sound was? Did I mention that I am among the fans who stay after every game to hear the performances?

I hope the record is clear. There's more.

TSUWhiner
07-16-2005, 10:01 PM
that year..2001 I did meet the donor at a gas station in Troy. I was in the right place at the right time too. I will not reveal him either but he is a very very nice man with loads of cash who loves the SOTS :)

Whiner

tsufl
07-16-2005, 11:16 PM
I think going to USC would be much better than going to friggen Laf, or ASU, I think the ASU game is thier homecoming so the SOTS wouldnt get much field time anyway. I hope this is read by the right people and the SOTS goes to USC and drops one of the other games.

pkf4troy
07-17-2005, 04:51 AM
Bob....my comments were not directed at any one person. I guess by your comments....."you mentioned"...... you took it that way. Theres always a reason a person gets defensive....I dont have the answer to that though.

One thing I do want to mention......how much of the amount the team gets by going to these higher rated games goes to the band? My guess would be that the football team uses that 100k, 200k, 300k...etc to fund the next trip and so on. If the band received a stipend of those proceeds maybe more trips can be made. This is the same conversation that is brought up every year right before kick off and tends to always be negative....... some "band people" are tired of it!

BMarkey
07-17-2005, 05:08 AM
The band should get a cut of the football team travel payouts. We agree there.

I don't think it's fair to paint anyone who criticizes band travel decisions (made by the purse string controllers in the administration) as anti-band.

Your comments appeared to be personal in nature and directed at me. I am happy to read that they were not meant that way.

tsufl
07-17-2005, 11:50 AM
A great deal of the money made by the football team by playing these "big schools" goes back to the school and what doesnt go to the school goes the the athletic department. "The team" doesnt keep a dime.

Big Time Football
07-17-2005, 12:56 PM
A great deal of the money made by the football team by playing these "big schools" goes back to the school and what doesnt go to the school goes the the athletic department. "The team" doesnt keep a dime.

Last year Troy Football made just over $10M in revenue with operating expenses of just over $7M, a $3M net.

Over $2M of the net goes to sports that do not generate sufficient revenues or no revenues to cover the operating costs (virtually every other sport except basketball) to include paying coaches salaries and to the university in general.

The plus of all this is Troy is generating a good net and hopefully this net will increase. Of course, as Troy continues it climb to big time football every weekend, the operating expenses will climb. As with any business, we hope the revenues increase as well. I do believe part of the revenue generation is to include the SOTS as often as possible. They definitely are a highlight of every game.

What I would love to see is the day when Troy is able to generate large revenues off of football or sports related items such as jerseys, tee shirts, license plates, stickers, and the like. You would be shocked at how much Auburn and Alabama generate each year.

Navarre Trojan
07-17-2005, 01:10 PM
may be just like the SOTS going to LSU last year. It is not only the cost of transportation, food and lodging, but it is my understanding that the school would have to buy tickets for each band member. i think it is an awful shame that we can't "afford" to take the band to every road game, ESPECIALLY now that we don't have to travel across time lines to the west or the Rocky Mountains, or the Mississippi River but three times to Denton, La-La and ASU (not sure if ASU is across the Mississippi). Travel costs should be WAY DOWN. Those of you that are "connected" to the band are there no mechinisims in place to raise monies for the band to travel? I am not a SOTS Alum so I don't know about these things, but something tells me that there ought to be some opportunity to raise some dollars for travel costs to send the band to away games. Some opportunities BESIDES donor dollars.

TSUWhiner
07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
They never ask for donations from us alums. I have never recieved a letter from them. The only people they keep in touch with us alums that are "in" for their concert functions and things of that nature. example..play super high at the end of a concert taking the spot light away from the band. I say that because my time there we saw some of the same alums come back and take spot lights away from the band itself..so it seems at times. I wouldnt mind donating..they just have to put some effort into sending letters out to us alums!..other wise I have no clue as to what they want or need? written some checks to the football team since I have graduated...hope it helps! (this is not a personal attack..just an opinion)

Whiner

TroyTuba
07-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Addressing a point or two in all of this. People seem to think that the band can just do what it wants and I will tell you that that is not a correct assesment. If you would like to blame someone for not letting us go to USC, you need to take it to the administration building. We had busses and things booked for the trip and had to cancel because we were told we wouldn't be attending that game again this year and that we would be attending the Arkansas State game. They weren't going to have us go to UL of Lafayette, but we are going based on last year's game. At some of the largr schools the marching band is under the athletic department and so they can go to everything the athletics people tell them to, but we are given a travel budget by the people upstairs and we have to submit travel costs for every game and then the admin. picks and chooses where we should go based on cost for the whole fall.

Navarre Trojan
07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
and was told that the folks in South Carolina asked us not to bring our band! It is there homecoming and the SOTS would not have gotten any field time. True or not, I don't know, but this is what I was told. Someone on the "inside" might be able to confirm this. The only other games they are not going to go to is Missouri, just to far, UL-Monroe, their homecoming and North Texas, because it is on Tuesday night. Someone in the Administration or in the Music Dept. will have to confirm, but it is what I was told. Having said that, they will be present at 8 of the 11 games.

Go Trojans

littlebittyschool
07-25-2005, 08:54 PM
South Carolina is having their homecoming on their 3rd home game of the year and their 4th game of the year overall?

They play Bama the week before and Aubbie the week after. If Troy is the homecoming game sandwiched in between, then man, talk about distractions! Oh please oh please let the 'Cocks beat Bama and be looking ahead to Aubbie. I will call my investor and put a large amount of capitol on Troy. You talk about a landmine game?

In Columbia, SC on Sept 24th, 2005, "The streets shall flow with the blood of the non-believers!" -Beavis

nasupporter
07-25-2005, 11:08 PM
If I were the South Carolina folks I wouldn't want the SOTS back either! I was at the USC game and the SOTS made the South Carolina band look lame. I heard many wonderful comments about the SOTS from S Carolina fans. Every thing from the half-time show to the drum line face off after the game went the way of the TROJANS! GO TROJANS! GO SOTS!

Raider_ATO
07-26-2005, 12:01 AM
BTW: MT's Band of Blue will be at MGS> for us to take that Palladium back to the 'Boro, and to secure our position in the New Orleans Bowl.

Carolina Trojan
07-26-2005, 07:11 AM
South Carolina's homecoming game is Oct. 22 against Vanderbilt.