PDA

View Full Version : Cal-poly Game

faithintsu
07-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Seems the Cal-Poly game will actually have alot of fans as the Band is doing their Band-Day on that day. Even though my wife was in the band, and I support them fully in all they do, I absolutely hate Band Day, and with it being the first game of the year, it really pisses me off.

Why can't it be later in the year, I want too see the Sound of the South perfom and the Trojans to kick some ass. Not a bunch of kids running around playing. Is it me, or is this a bad idea?

TUrocks
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Well, we went through this argument last year. All I can say, being a Troy alumni, and a band director, is that this is a pure recruiting event for the bands. It get's kids onto the campus and when I took my kids last year, they loved being out on the field with a crowd that is bigger than any thing else they play for. Many of those kids will remember the experience and that means more future college student's choosing to attend Troy. I'm sorry many of you don't like it, but the fact of the matter is that in the band world, most people involved enjoy the marching stuff the most (that's what all those high school band kids will remember most), and the band is part of the overall college football game experience. They need to recruit just as the football team, cheerleaders, ROTC, and any other organization that takes part.

As for Band Day being the first game, I don't know. My only guess is that I have noticed that it usually falls on an out of conference game that does not have huge implications for the team or a game where the visiting teams travels a far distance to get to Troy. Last year, I believe it was at the Utah State game. I think they anticipate easily having the seats for the bands if the opponent won't bring a big fan base. That would explain why it won't be the second game vs. UAB. Once you get into late October and after, many of the bands participate in competitions, so it would be hard to get many bands to participate since they are preparing for those.

pkf4troy
07-13-2005, 07:07 PM
The kids running around is a direct reflection of the director and chaperones. Shouldnt be tolerated!

faithintsu
07-13-2005, 07:53 PM
I am not saying that I have a dislike for Band Day, or for the what it does/stands for. I am all for it, what I am saying is that I disagree fully with the fact that it is on the first game of the season. Just not the right call.

TroyTrojanMan
07-13-2005, 09:17 PM
I am not a band person but I do not mind band day, the band needs to recruit like everyone else. The academic dept. invites people to football game, so does the basketball team and everyone else recruits so should the band. If the band dropped to the size of UAB Band and talent everyone would want to know what is wrong. As far as it being the 1st game that is the only choice
UAB- won’t be enough seats Available/UAB Bringing their band.
Florida International- Thursday Night
Florida Atlantic –Homecoming
Middle Tenn. State. Weekend after thanksgiving/Season is over for HS/ and Middle Tenn. brings their band

Trojans1andAll
07-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Last I checked, UA'sB band, the Sound of the Tragic City, was too chicken to show their faces in Troy. I hope they do show up so we can kick UA'sB butt every possible way.

GO TROJANS!

troy4ever
07-13-2005, 09:39 PM
The reasons TroyTrojanMan listed is the exact reasons band day is the first game of the season this year. UAB is too big of a game to have Band Day on it? Do you actually want Band Day on the day you play your rival? That would kind of be like Alabama having band during the Iron Bowl. It's better to not have band day on a game when the visitor band is bringing their band. That way the Sound of the South can focus simply on blowing the other band off the field.

Oh, and pkf4troy, (I'm not calling you out because I completly agree with you!) but not all the band directors let their students run around all game. I know you weren't saying that all do though. I'm a band director and took my kids to band day last year. They were only allowed to leave our seats to go to the bathroom or to concessions, and even when they did that they could only go two at a time. I disagree with directors who let their students run around like a bunch of wild kids who have never been anywhere in their life.

And what's this about UAB's band not showing up Trojans1andall? It wouldn't suprise me. When we played two years ago they wanted to perform first at halftime though we were the visiting band. We were both playing Earth, Wind, and Fire music that year and they knew they didn't want to follow us.

TSUWhiner
07-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah I would advise the recruiting..so they will hopefully bring the SOTS to FSU next year..and blow those cocky SOBS away in the stands..and let our football team take care of Bobby Turdface's Criminoles

Trojans1andAll
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
I tried to find the thread on their forum, but it was too old. I did read that they elected to send their band to the Memphis game and not to Troy. But like I said, its been awhile and maybe they changed their mind.

GO TROJANS!

troy4ever
07-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Well, if they can only afford to send that tiny little band to one away game there is something seriously wrong. Better check and make sure the Board of Trustees aren't embezzling money. There is no reason their university can't afford to send their band to both Memphis and Troy. Neither are that far away from Birmingham. Besides, do we really want a rivalry with UAB when they don't invest everything in the rivalry with us? They fuss about coming to Troy and now they're talking about not sending their band? I say we forget UAB and let their program shrivel up and die.

TrojanWar
07-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Yeah I would advise the recruiting..so they will hopefully bring the SOTS to FSU next year..and blow those cocky SOBS away in the stands..and let our football team take care of Bobby Turdface's Criminoles

I hate FSU, but keep in mind that they have a VERY strong band program. The SOTS is good, but I don't see us blowing that band anywhere. They are on about the same level as the Southern Cal band.

tsufl
07-14-2005, 10:35 AM
the marching clowns or whatever the hell they are at FSU is bunch of jokes.

BMarkey
07-14-2005, 12:12 PM
It sounds like UAB is trying to treat Troy the way UF treats Miami (secretly a major rival but publicly "just another game".)

Another loss for the dragons (and, the Gators)!

BTW, I vote for the high school bands. Great groups; good seat fillers. It will he odd to have them for the first game, though. But maybe some will return for other games.

My daughter will bring her clarinet and make up a couple-of-member FAU band for the Troy Homecoming game. :)

Seriously, I doubt FAU will bring its new band (just now forming) to that game. Daphne will be there with me and she has already asked me if she would get in trouble for cheering for the Owls in the Troy section.

Freshmen! :)

TrojanWar
07-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Daphne will be there with me and she has already asked me if she would get in trouble for cheering for the Owls in the Troy section.

You better see to it that she is cheering for the Trojans or sitting in the visitors section. How could your own flesh and blood end up going to school at a conference rival? I mean, as big a Troy fan as you are, that just does not make sense.

BMarkey
07-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Sense or not, it is happening, I am sad to say.

I tried my best to get her to Troy, but a variety of reasons (including her wanting to be relatively close - one hour - from home; wanting to continue her horseback riding career ... oddly, no Florida school offers NCAA riding but the sport is big down here; and Bright Futures scholarship opporutnities) conspired to get her to FAU. I don't think Troy accepts Florida Bright Futures scholarships or would forgive out-of-state fees, unfortunately.

I'm still working on her and will be touring her around when we come up there in the fall.

TSUWhiner
07-14-2005, 02:31 PM
your daughter wouldnt happen to work at nights of Arabian would she? I met this really beautiful blonde girl...who rides the horses there..actually she is part of the show?

Whiner

BMarkey
07-14-2005, 08:23 PM
No, Orlando is 2 1/2 hours north of me.

However, if you ever get caught in a rip current on a particular stretch of Palm Beach, she might save you. If you "whine" loud enough.

:)

TroyTuba
07-14-2005, 11:31 PM
I grew up in Tallahassee and wanted to be in the Marching Chief's as soon as I was in band, but they are not the greatest thing in college marching band. Before people start *****ing about this turning into a band forum ala the bowl game posts, I will say that we can hang with any band in the land as far a musical talent and playing ability goes. That stuff aside, who's ready for some football?