PDA

View Full Version : TROY trustees name academic building for Patterson

Mike Cunningham
10-30-2010, 11:57 AM
October 19, 2010 Contact: Tom Davis or Clif Lusk
For immediate release 334-670-3196

TROY trustees name academic building for Patterson

TROY—The General Academic Building on the Troy Campus has been renamed to honor an administrator who served the University for almost 20 years.

The Troy University Board of Trustees passed unanimously on Saturday a resolution renaming the building Douglas C. Patterson Hall. The building, completed in 2005, houses classroom and academic office space. Dr. Patterson served as a senior administrator at Troy University from 1990 until 2007. He continues to serve the University in a part-time capacity.

“I am at a loss for words,” Dr. Patterson said after the board passed the resolution. “Thank you very much for this honor. But much of the work on which this honor is based was actually a team effort by many people throughout this University. I am humbled that you chose to honor me.”

The resolution said, “Dr. Patterson’s administrative involvement in every area of University life has made TROY a model institution of higher education.” The resolution also recognizes Dr. Patterson’s work in the diverse areas of financial stewardship, academic leadership and the University’s transition to NCAA Division I athletics.

Dr. Patterson, a native of Mobile, earned his bachelor’s degree from Alabama College, a master’s degree from the University of Montevallo and a doctorate from the University of Alabama. Upon completion of his bachelor’s degree in 1967, Patterson was commissioned a lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps and served as a platoon commander for a Combat Engineer Platoon and as an intelligence officer for the First Engineer Battalion of the First Marine Division in the Republic of Vietnam.

Dr. Patterson’s professional background includes serving as a high school counselor, as the Director of Counseling Services at Jefferson State Junior College and as Vice President for Instruction at the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind.

--end—

troy4ever21
10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I think people will still call it GAB. Just like how we still call Stewart Dining Hall SAGA.