PDA

View Full Version : Let the sots play

Navarre Trojan
10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a SOTS question, I was wondering why our public address system plays that G-Awful music during time-outs (whether they be team or official or TV) and SOTS either can not be heard or do not play? Isn't that why those kids come to school at Troy, to play music in the band? Isn't that why we have them there? Why do we ALWAYS, always, I mean ALWAYS play this stuff over the loud speaker..

LET THE SOTS PLAY - DANG-IT!!!!!!

wrden
10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I agree and have often wondered this myself. They have to wait until it's over or try to play over it. Whoops! Forgot this forum was just about football.

Cane gone Trojan
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Talking about the P.A system....It is pathetic.....you can hardly hear a word that is said...at least in the upper deck section above the student section.

RDA Trojan
10-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I love how they play the loud, screeching music over the PA, while the PA guy is trying to announce something, or while the Refs are trying to announce something. The only good thing they do on the PA and videoboard are the little cartoons. We took our daughter to the monsoon game, and about the only thing she remembers is the Penguins of Madagascar cartoon. If I start singing "I like to Move it, move it" she'll laugh and say something like "is that the funny cartoon from the Troy game!" and then start dancing around singing it. She's 2.

Hemi Man
10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I love how they play the loud, screeching music over the PA, while the PA guy is trying to announce something, or while the Refs are trying to announce something. The only good thing they do on the PA and videoboard are the little cartoons. We took our daughter to the monsoon game, and about the only thing she remembers is the Penguins of Madagascar cartoon. If I start singing "I like to Move it, move it" she'll laugh and say something like "is that the funny cartoon from the Troy game!" and then start dancing around singing it. She's 2.

Funny, because my wife is 32 and we they play the song she does the exact same thing?

MusicMan
10-20-2010, 01:01 PM
If memory serves, they don't want us playing over the P.A. System. Not sure who makes the calls there, but we play when we're told to do so, I'm not sure that it's anything we, SOTS, can do

newnan trojan
10-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Talking about the P.A system....It is pathetic.....you can hardly hear a word that is said...at least in the upper deck section above the student section.

I agree!

bmwilderULM
10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
We have the same problem, except yall's band is 100x better than ours...

GoTrojans
10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Not to be rude but why is this posted in a football forum? I enjoy the SOTS and think they are a great band but they are not TROY football. They are in the same league as Barry McKnight, our PA announcers, and everyone else who is part of our University. I happen to like the music that is played on the PA system. I do agree that we need to upgrade our PA system but for the most part the people who work up in the box do a really good job....Not trying to start a SOTS war of words, just expressing my own opinion!

Mike Cunningham
10-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Because it has to do with the TROY football game experience. I've been much more lax with the football forum lately purposely. I'm ok with this discussion here.

Navarre Trojan
10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Not to be rude but why is this posted in a football forum? I enjoy the SOTS and think they are a great band but they are not TROY football. They are in the same league as Barry McKnight, our PA announcers, and everyone else who is part of our University. I happen to like the music that is played on the PA system. I do agree that we need to upgrade our PA system but for the most part the people who work up in the box do a really good job....Not trying to start a SOTS war of words, just expressing my own opinion!

I suppose I should have put this in the SOTS area, but because it was regarding the football game-day process, I thought that it would get more 'run' here. I am not affiliated with SOTS other than I think they should get a fair shake on gameday. These students are also at Troy University, most of them on scholarship, and are representing Troy. My question was/is, "why doesn't the process, game day administration, PA announcer, game day process coordinator, or WHATEVER, tell 'mixing board person' to cool-it during timeouts and in between plays so that the band can play and maybe get the crowd more into it. I know I would like that, but I am not a fan of the loud, can't understand the words but let's all jump around like wild animals' type of music. Just sayin....

I will move the thread!!

TroyTuba
10-21-2010, 04:40 PM
You know, I used to wonder the same thing when I was in the band (about the game day operation), but trying to get that or other questions answered will get you nowhere sometimes. Kind of like when your parents used to tell you "Because I said so....." I used to hate that, but now I find myself saying that to my kids, hahaha!!! I've learned to accept that it is just going to be like that most of the time.

Another possibility is that the drum major isn't paying attention to what is going on and isn't prepared for a timeout or stoppage of play. When then band doesn't crank right up, the sound guys turn on a audio clip so there won't be dead air.......just sayin'

T-Rotten
10-21-2010, 05:05 PM
I also think the SOTS should play the Trojan Victory March (the song they play during the pre-game) at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. Of course they can't do that now because we have to do that goofy FG contest for $100.

I am not in the SOTS and was not in it when I was a student, I just think that time should be spent re-energizing the fans and the team for the final Quarter, not cutting away to a commercial break for whoever sponsors the contest.

sotstrojan
10-21-2010, 05:35 PM
The Sound plays the first half of the fanfare at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. They have done this for several years now.

troy4ever21
10-21-2010, 08:38 PM
The Sound plays the first half of the fanfare at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. They have done this for several years now.

Yeah, but we have to wait for that stupid contest to be over to even play the first half of the fanfare.

MusicMan
10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
We got people on the headset so we know when to play, and I guess they tell us when to play. As soon as we finish one song the next one is called up, so we're ready whenever the oppurtunity presents itself. The speed of play is so weird sometimes, there's just not much we can do to get the horns up and a decent sound.

BTW: I love playing the Fanfare at the end of the 3rd, although that stupid contest can go away

FliryVorru
10-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Please tell me someone remembers....

ARE YOU READAAAAAAAYYYYY?!?!?!

http://images.contactmusic.com/videoimages/sbmg/creed-whats-this-life-for.jpg

Thank heaven for Joshua Solomon.

redwaver
01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
How on earth does anyone enjoy the PA music at our games? it is AWFUL!! I have never heard a positive comment in the stadium about it. How does anyone love music that you cant understand, so loud you can't hear and dominates EVERYTHING. One lady in our section last year turned around, looked up at the boxes whith her ears covered and yelled, "turn that d---- awful music down"!