PDA

View Full Version : ESPNU

littlebittyschool
06-22-2005, 03:26 PM
ESPNU was showing the replay of Troy vs NIU in the Silicon Bowl this morning.

I also heard yesterday where Alabama STATE vs South Carolina State will be on a Saturday game on ESPNU and little Stillman College (in Tuscaloosa) will also have a game on ESPNU.

NCMeanGreen
07-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Are they making any $$$ off this venture??? Who cares about SC and Alabama State??!??! :shock:

Trojan1998
07-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Littlebitty,

The Alabama State v. South Carolina State on Saturday, September 3rd, will be televised by ESPN2, not ESPNU (it will be the game just before the Southern Cal/Hawaii game on the Deuce.). A couple of other ASU games such as the ASU/Tuskegee game will be on ESPNU. The SWAC, MEAC, and other HBCU schools signed a big contract with ESPN this summer to televise a lot black college games over the next several seasons.

BMarkey
07-18-2005, 11:54 AM
And they stick us on Tuesday and Thursday nights? All the more reason to just say "Saturday or no thanks."

Zeke of Troy
07-20-2005, 05:26 PM
I just looked on the ESPNU schedule and the Mizzou game is scheduled for Saturday July 23 from 7 -10 pm.The bowl game is also scheduled for Friday July 29 from 4-7 pm.

TU/JSU Fan
07-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Personally I think that ESPN's venture with the HBCU schools is a good one for them, and we can forget about getting the exposure that they are getting. Troy isn't in the same league as far as national exposure as a Grambling or FAMU is. No matter how much we think it should be when we have 15,000 fans at a game and a small ESPN audience versus a HBCU "Classic Game" with 40,000 fans in attendance and a ESPN audience in the hundreds of thousands there is no comparison. People all over america connect with the HBCU games... Unfortunately there aren't that many people in america that connect with Troy football. I want to see Troy on TV as much as the next guy, butI can understand why we aren't on there as much.

Michael

Trojan1998
07-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Troy is going to be on television almost every week this season, on either one of the ESPN channels or another network. I think at least 9 of our 11 games will be televised - more than any of the HBCU schools.

TroyTrojanMan
07-21-2005, 01:13 PM
This just and example but before FAMU had their problems they sold out their stadium every week and that was 25,000. Every year they average more than we did as a D-1AA. Grambling/Southern games draws 60,000 every year, FAMU/Tenn State sold out the GA dome the last 2 years. ASU/AAMU averages 50,000 when they play. Those are just some examples, ESPN is a business and black college football is and untapped market. Nobody shows those games live that's why it is a good investment issue. My brother graduated from FAMU they went and played a game in Detroit's Ford Field against Alabama State and it drew 60,000 fans and those are too teams for the extreme south. If Troy and UAB played in Detroit their would not be 60,000 fans their. So just like Tu/JSU said this its a untapped market that will pay them well. Plus espn does not have to pay their conferences the same amount they pay D-1A conference. Some black colleges are bigger than Troy so they have a alumni base twice the size of Troy’s that wants to see those games. FAMU enrollment last year was almost 14,000 and Southern and Grambling are bigger than FAMU.

tsufl
07-21-2005, 01:30 PM
HBCs travel better, fan wise, than most I-A teams also. Its amazing to see how many folks they bring with them anywhere they go. And you can count on a good tailgate when an HBC is in town so there are pluses to playing one.

BMarkey
07-21-2005, 01:46 PM
FAMU has not been selling out its stadium in recent years. The place is a wreck and even at homecoming (I saw bits of it on Sunshine) last year, there were numerous gaps in the stands. FAMU does have good crowds for I-AA.

But the school is an administrative and financial mess. I thank God Troy did not stoop to adding it to the Trojans' future schedules.

FAMU might have a national following (not sure why), but in Florida it has become a joke, an afterthought and now trails FAU, FAU, UCF and others in media attention and positive notoriety.

TroyTrojanMan
07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
That why i said they had good crowds before recent problems, They are going to their 100th year of football so they have tradition thats why they have a following. Just like if Troy got in trouble and have problems finacial and with the NCAA i would still be loyal and follow them because thats my school.

Navarre Trojan
07-21-2005, 02:17 PM
to over 100 NCAA violations throughout their athletic department. They are in shambles!!! I don't remember there being a sellout in Mobile 3 or 4 years ago, was it? It was raining cats and dogs, but they didn't have that big a following there, at least not that I remember..

TroyTrojanMan
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Because Troy is not and HBCU, thats what i was the talking about. I just talked to my brother last year in the Florida Classic between them and BCC it was 65,000 people. Alabama State and Southern sold out in Mobile 2 years ago and they play there again this year Oct 1st

Trojan1998
07-21-2005, 03:12 PM
The main reason that a game between a SWAC and a MEAC school will sell out in a place such as Detroit, ATL, etc. is not necessarily because thousands upon thousands of fans are traveling from those respective schools' home states. It's mainly because thousands of blacks folks in those areas where the game is being played (Detroit, ATL, etc.) come out to see the game. It's a BIG social event when HBCU schools come to town. And those big cities like Detroit are home to a lot of alumni of those schools as well.

For example, when Alabama State plays a home game in Montgomery, they seldom ever sell the game out, unless it's the Tuskegee game. Other home games have very modest to smallish crowds.

WAR SWAC!!!!
WAR MEAC!!!!
WAR HBCU!!!!

Tums
07-21-2005, 03:15 PM
FAMU has some areas outside their home games that kind of look like a Freaknik replay.