PDA

View Full Version : GET FANS TO GAMES

ThePowerMan
06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Last year we talked about ideas to get fans to the games.(Things like the concerts during tailgating). Has the University done any planning to help this situation? Do we have any ideas that can be passed on to the new AD?

tsu59
06-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Last year we talked about ideas to get fans to the games.(Things like the concerts during tailgating). Has the University done any planning to help this situation? Do we have any ideas that can be passed on to the new AD?
Here is one idea - how about keeping the football part of the web site updated.
Not only the future schedules but the roster - the roster is still 2004 - and its a shame trojan fans have to search other schools web site to try to guess what the 2006 schedule might be. :idea:

ThePowerMan
06-16-2005, 04:33 PM
I agree. Seems that our site still lacks some luster. It is a shame that we have to go to a cfn site to find out who is on the roster.

Big Time Football
06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
I agree with all about the website. It is truly pathetic. I've brought this up several times, and it gets a lukewarm reception. There should be two or three articles a week on the website, some stats on how ticket sales are going, some information on the recruits (by the way, we don't even have all the signees on the website), some information on the coaches, etc. I mean, it just appears football is dead.

Heck, you go to the Bama site, the Auburn site, the UAB site, and there is always some new information, some things of interest, etc. There is also a lot more banter on their boards. Heck, even this site, which is the best by far, is deathly quiet at times.

Troy93
06-16-2005, 08:59 PM
My vote is to bring the Hooters girls to the games. :lol:

Nice Trojan
06-16-2005, 09:31 PM
My take on the future schedules website for Troy:

If Texas A&M has Troy listed on their website, why in the world would Troy not have this on their site yet, even if it is not a rock solid deal yet. I would want the whole Troy nation to know that we have another BCS school on the schedule.

Troy is still in the fragile state of where we need to do every little thing we can to keep people informed. Especially for us that are not in Alabama.

ThePowerMan
06-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Bringing Quality Teams to MGS is a must. I think TU will need to be creative this year. If not we will be lucky to average 15K + this year.

It would be awesome to have a day where you could get something free by just wearing a TROY (Cardinal) shirt or jersey and have an entire stadium filled with red. (NOT ALABAMA red but TROY Cardinal).

BMarkey
06-16-2005, 10:16 PM
A major "cardinal" effort must be made.

All these marketing comments just echo mine - made for years. There just does not appear to be any central or coordinated marketing effort, despite the fact that talented people are in place to do such a job.

I just don't get it. Yet, Troy stumbles ahead in image every year ...

I am afraid of what might happen if Troy ever faced a real controversy or tragedy. It could get ugly, very fast.

guest101
06-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Here's the deal. As far as updating the website. Troy only has 2 people in the S.I.D. department with one graduate assistant and a lot of student workers. Ricky was there by himself for at least a few months when Josh Underwood left. Josh Stepenphol is leaving his marketing job with Athletics to take a job with his father's advertising agency. That leaves us with 1 marketing person. How can we ask for more
information with a depleted staff. It's not very big to begin with. I don't even think they have anybody over there that knows frontpage, yet alone could create and maintain the website for athletics. Chip Dillard is overworked trying to get the University website up. I do think he could have helped the website situation had he gotten the job in the department. What can we seriously expect if Troy doesn't want to open up the pocketbook???? I think Steve Dennis is going to be amazing for us though. We just have to be patient and realize that they are understaffed, underfunded, and overworked. I think they're doing amazing for what they have.

Navarre Trojan
06-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Do we have any type of Computer Science/Information Management undergrad program at Troy? (of course we do) Why, then, don't we ask, task, utilize that student base to provide internships (for credit) and have those creative people support the universities athletic department while also supporting their long term goal of graduation?

I think there are resources available that we either 1) have not tapped into or 2) not thought about. Don't know if this is a solution or not, but I would think it is worth the Athletic Department looking into!

TrojanWar
06-17-2005, 08:30 AM
I don't even think they have anybody over there that knows frontpage, yet alone could create and maintain the website for athletics.

I certainly hope we are NOT using FrontPage to build the athletics website. It's fine for your little sisters photo gallery site, but not for a college athletics site. We need real web programmers. How about outsourcing??? That would make more sense than just saying we don't have anyone and letting the thing sit. We make most D1AA schools look good. This is pathetic. It's easy to make excuses. That's why the department is so bad. It's an easy situation to fix and does not mean we have to wait until the department hires all new people.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
06-17-2005, 09:12 AM
I know the University, in the past, has tapped into the resources of the Graphic Design students in the Art Department. They design the course schedule booklet every semester–for a regular class, not as an internship, nor do they get paid. The Art Dept. now has a web design course. I'm sure they would love to work on it. There's a source that needs to be tapped.... And these students are doing very high-caliber work, it's not like we'd get be getting so-so work from them. Some of them are worth their weight in gold when it comes to their talent.

guest101
06-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I think that's an awesome solution. Troy has a wonderful graphic design department and the more real work you can put on a resume the better. As far as outsourcing, it takes money. It has to be approved by the administration. It won't happen. Dennis tried to push to get three full time people in the Sports Information Department. It didn't work. Maybe they'll hire somebody with some type of Web Design skills to be Josh Step's replacement or will look into the graphic design department. I think it would be a win win situation on both ends. As far as random stories, etc. I just don't see it happening with the amount of work that they have to do. Their was only one person working on the football media guide fora while, and we all know the media guide is one of the most crucial things that department does. I don't think they have the luxury or time to just write random stories or blurbs on players. Maybe they'll get a better volunteer thing going over there. I know that there are lots of students dying to be sports writers. They even have a track in the journalism department with it.

littlebittyschool
06-17-2005, 11:42 AM
I have my degree and majored in marekting (from Troy). I've got real world experience. I'd love to work for Troy. Where do I send my resume'?

TrojanWar
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Troy Dothan uses outsourcing. Are we not "One Great University?" Why are they able to, but Troy Main Campus can't? I know for a fact that we (The Dothan Eagle) put together the Troy Dothan schedule. It's not cheap to have done. I just think that something similar could be done in the athletic department. I like the idea of using Troy students to handle this work-load. They would get great experience and have a blast working on these projects at the same time.

Now tell me...if a bunch of fans on a message board can figure this out, why can't our professional staff on campus do the same?

ThePowerMan
06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
My point exactly. I do not even know who is "officially" on our team. So why should I want to attend a game at the "Gallery"? MAKE ME WANT TO COME TO A GAME!!!!!!!!!

ThePowerMan
06-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Now we have another problem ....a Thursday Night Game!! Can we market that game to get people thru the gates? OR maybe.....just maybe.....our new AD and committee have already thought of that and have plans in place. Please Mr. AD give us some info.....hire someone to update our beloved Troy Trojans Football site!!!!!!!!!!!

tsu59
06-20-2005, 07:27 PM
If the football part of the web site is not going to be maintained I think they should just shut it down all together - at least then we know we have to get our info someplace else - its still hard to understand why a D-1 football program has no web site :?

ThePowerMan
06-20-2005, 08:44 PM
What kills me is the fact that a FIU fan calls up our message board and tells us that the game is on a Thursday Night!!! Then I read it in the Mobile Register in the Sound Off column by a caller wanting to know who is this FIU on the Bama schedule for 2006. The Editor states that FIU is in Sunbelt and will be traveling to Troy on Thursday, Oct. 20. Atleast we could have word floating around on the message board B4 it actually makes it to the "Official Web Site of The Troy Trojans". What about a "News Brief" or something. Mr. AD should be doing all that he can just to get the fans EXCITED about Trojan Football 2005.

Navarre Trojan
06-21-2005, 05:53 AM
and the reason the FIU game has yet to be announced by Troy is that there has been no "official agreement" signed yet. Once this happens, they will announce. Probably sometime this week (Maybe even today).

TrojanWar
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Navarre is right. ESPN jumped the gun on the announcement from what I understand. Nothing has been signed at this time, but more than likely it will happen. I'm sure this will be announced on the website as soon as it is official. Something that big could not be overlooked...or so I would think.

BMarkey
06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Don't sign it, don't sign it! ESPNU needs Saturday games, too!

faithintsu
06-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Troy uses a group out of Lexington, Kentucky (outsourced) for the website. http://ihigh.com/ is the company. They specialize in making High School Sporting websites. Why Troy picked them I will never know. I assume that Troy can update the site manually, and not have to call them every time its done, but I am not 100% sure.

Too be honest either way is crappy - as Ricky and his staff do not need another task thrown on them, or does the IT department.

BMarkey
06-21-2005, 04:05 PM
A modern, professionally designed Web site can have a component that allows writers, editors and administrators to add copy, schedules and even photos via a simple Internet Explorer/Netscape/Firefox (or any browser) interface. No special programming knowledge or software is necessary.

It just isn't that difficult to do.

ThePowerMan
06-22-2005, 09:50 AM
I know that the AD may not have put the "OFFICIAL" word out about the Thursday Night game BUT there is no excuse for them not updating the roster and other things on the sight.

Someone should be keeping the fans informed about activities in athletic department. I know that it is summer but I know there is some activity around the program.

Navarre Trojan
06-22-2005, 09:57 AM
is resources. In a one man office, it is difficult to get the Preview ready, keep up with daily administrative duties, and stay on top of the web page. My suggestion is to volunteer to help and see what services can be provided in that manner.

Ricky does a pretty good job as a "one man band" but there just isn't a lot of finances around to hire full time folks. It is sort of a catch-22. We need donors to help provide dollars to update facilities so fans will appreciate and attend and we need fans to attend to build a donor program equal to that of other D-1` programs, etc. Just takes time. I think using the graphic arts students as interns (as I suggested in an earlier post) would give us some immediate impact. Summertime? Hard to get anyone to help out when they are not on campus.