PDA

View Full Version : 1st Game 2006

TUFAN
06-15-2005, 05:29 PM
I hear we are close to announcing another Nebraska Opener. Write it down, September in Lincoln (I would have preferred UAB, since I don't think they are on the schedule next year. I want to keep that rivalvy game going, even if the outcomes will be one-sided!

Lord-Mustang
06-15-2005, 06:15 PM
I've heard differently, to a degree.

tsu59
06-15-2005, 07:11 PM
That would make one tough schedule:

Nebraska Sep 2
FSU Sep 9
Ga Tech Sep 16
Texas A&M Sep 27

I doubt it :?: :?: :?:

troy4ever
06-15-2005, 08:03 PM
If that happened, I would likely crap my pants!

snakeeater
06-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Try:

2 Sep TBD
9 Sep FSU
16 Sep GA Tech
23 Sep Nebraska
30 Sep TBD (TSU59, you keep putting Texas A&M, where are you getting that)
7 Oct North Texas

pkf4troy
06-15-2005, 08:45 PM
snakeeater....I have seen A&M somewhere listed on our schedule. I cant remember where but I know this wasnt made up or a rumor

Troy93
06-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Funny about the Texas A&m conversation. I actually had a colleague of mine that lives in San Antonio & happens to be an A&M alum call me last week. He said that Troy was mentioned on sports talk radio to play the Aggies in College Station in 2006. I have dismissed all the A & M talk before but when an A &M alum tells me that it makes me wonder if in fact we are talking to them about a game.

Carolina Trojan
06-15-2005, 10:09 PM
We are on the official Texas A&M website schedule for Sept. 23.

Nice Trojan
06-15-2005, 10:50 PM
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/texasa&m_future.htm

see if this link will take you there. This is the only place I have seen it. On nationalchamps.net under future schedules.

BMarkey
06-16-2005, 05:47 AM
When would Nebraska come to Troy?

A few years ago, Johnny Williams was reportedly in negotiation with the Huskers to bring them to Alabama at least once. Nebraska wanted some southern recruiting exposure. It did go to Southern Miss after that.

Troy really has no upside to going to Lincoln so much. Didn't Troy gross something like $75k from the last trip up there?

BMarkey
06-16-2005, 05:47 AM
deleted repeat post

tsu59
06-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Try:

2 Sep TBD
9 Sep FSU
16 Sep GA Tech
23 Sep Nebraska
30 Sep TBD (TSU59, you keep putting Texas A&M, where are you getting that)
7 Oct North Texas

Go to Texas A&M Aggies web site - 2006 schedule list game with "Troy State" in College Station on Sep 23. Sorry about previous post saying 27th - should have said 23rd.

snakeeater
06-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks TSU59. From what I'm hearing from some good sources, I wouldn't be totally shocked if we ended up with three or four BCS teams in 2006. Any way you slice it, FSU, GA Tech, and Texas A&M and/or Nebraska is an awesome schedule and opportunity for the team. You want to be the big dog, you have to play the big dogs!! If we eventually want to move from the Sun Belt, we have to continue to make an impression. I say we replace Vanderbilt in the SEC or Duke in the ACC.

tsu59
06-16-2005, 08:40 AM
You want to be the big dog, you have to play the big dogs!! If we eventually want to move from the Sun Belt, we have to continue to make an impression. I say we replace Vanderbilt in the SEC or Duke in the ACC.
I agree 100% - unless U of A gets their act together maybe we could replace them - just hope we don't cancel Texas A&M game and play W Ky - no disrespect of W Ky intended but I'm sure you get my point.

RedEdgeTrojan
06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Just asking a question...not trying to sir up any thing, but how many games is Troy (or any other school in D1) allowed to play?
I am not up to date on NCAA rules and reg's by any means. Last I heard, only 11 games total (12 if Hawaii) and trying to move to 12 total. Is it still five home games that must be played?
Just trying to figure in all the possiblities on home and away.

TrojanWar
06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
12 next year RedEdge. I love playing all the BCS schools. The more we have on our schedule, the more we have an opportunity to beat and continue to bring Troy's name into the national spotlight. We make money and grow our notariety all at the same time. It's a great deal.

TUFAN
06-16-2005, 01:57 PM
If what I heard is correct, I also understand the payout for Nebraska would be $750,000 - of course that's not net, and it costs alot of money to get a football team (and hopefully a band) to Lincoln. I had heard they would considered some kind of deal to come to Troy one day, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. They agreed to go to SMU, and then tried to back out.

Navarre Trojan
06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
guarantee return from the BCS schools on at least a 3 to their 1, lets build this program with WINS.. The crap that happened this year with Iowa State has set us back, IMO, with the Cal Poly game (no disrespect to CalPoly). I give a lot of money to the university and I am tired of having my expectations deminished by the "by out" rules of the big schools. Let's get home and home games with BCS conference schools that have less "marquee" value. For instance, why not play the Baylors, Kansas' Dukes, Wakes and Vanderbilts of the world?

How about 6 home games and be satisfied with a bit less money from the away games and more money for the home games?

Nice Trojan
06-16-2005, 09:25 PM
12 next year RedEdge. I love playing all the BCS schools. The more we have on our schedule, the more we have an opportunity to beat and continue to bring Troy's name into the national spotlight. We make money and grow our notariety all at the same time. It's a great deal.

Or we play these big dogs four consecutive weeks and half our team ends up on the injured reserve and we go into Sunbelt season bandaged and bruised and lose to teams like ASU and NMSU.

TrojanWar
06-16-2005, 09:37 PM

Or we play these big dogs four consecutive weeks and half our team ends up on the injured reserve and we go into Sunbelt season bandaged and bruised and lose to teams like ASU and NMSU.

You could look at it that way...but that won't get us where we all want to be. Playing the Cal-Polys of the football world will basically keep us at this level or below. Sure players might get injured, but that might get injured against Cal-Poly as well. Do you want to be D1A or D1AA? It sounds like you want to be D1A and play D1AA.

Navarre Trojan
06-17-2005, 07:25 AM
was a card that Steve Dennis was dealt. By the time he came on board, evaluated the situation, and had to make some decisions, we had to take what we could get (Thanks Johnny). As for "playing the big schools to get us where we want to be" I think that is a double edged sword. First, I don't think the "big dogs" are going to pay us the BIG MONEY anymore, especially since the 12 game rule has come into effect and that D-1AA victories can count EVERY YEAR. Those Big Dogs are going to schedule the Cal-Polys, pay them for victories. Scheduling us doesn't secure those victories anymore.

Maybe we should look at some compromises ala Kansas State (the most often, most over rated team in the country - IMO) and the way Snyder has built that program. He puts numbers in the W column and 0 in the L column, until he plays the heavies in the Big 12. They made a living going to the Alamo Bowl and crying that they didn't get a BCS bid. BUT, thier fan base and fan support has gone through the roof for the past 10-12 years. Donor dollars are coming in and NOW, they have won some of those games agains the OUs and Texas's and their reputation is beginning to change.

My point is, if Troy doesn't start giving something back to their fans (in the way of HOME non-conference games) then it won't matter who they play on the road, numbers are not going to come to Troy and watch.

Having talked with the AD a few weeks ago, he gets it. He knows that the new 12 game rule is going to make it harder, not easier for us to get home games. This rule is for the rich to get richer. They can now have 7 or 8 home games and play a limited number of games on the road - their required conference games. Get Mr. Waters and company on the stick and work some magic to get 1-3 more schools in the Belt, and things get much easier.

RANT OVER

TrojanWar
06-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I agree to a certain extent. Kansas State is not a great example anymore. They are on their way back down. They proved that playing mid-majors can get you beat! Remember the Marshall game in 2003? Ever since that game, the Cats have been on a downward skid. Snyder is capable of building them back up, but to consistantly do that, it takes a lot of work and I just don't see it. There is a reason KSU was one of the worst teams in college football for the longest time.

Navarre Trojan
06-17-2005, 09:24 AM
TrojanWar, about them being the worst for a long time. I will say this, they are still packing their house, even if they are on their way back down. In 2003 after having lost to Marshall, they went on to go 10-4, beat Oklahoma for the Big 12 championship and lost to Ohio St, (in the Alamo - thier home away from home). In 2004 is where the nose dive began. They went 4-7 last year, however they still averaged 48,405 per game! Capacity is just over 50K. Largest crowd ever to watch a game was 53,811.

My point si that Snyder brought credibilit to the program with victories and victories puts fans in seats, fans in seats puts dollars into the Athletic Department, which leads to credibility. MONEY...

I really think the best way to increase our worth/credibility is going to have to come from our Conference partners by(1) trying to increase membership (for football) so that a conference championship can be played and (2) more bowl tie-ins. Here comes that sword again, those things happen as success happens. Until we (Sunbelt Members) start showing some success across the board, will we get to increase our credibility. I just don't think the big pay days are as available as they once were (due in part to our success) and 2) We have to have BINDING contracts with other institutions and write them in such a way that the payoff far outweighs playing the game. Like forcing the "contract breaker" to pay 500k or something ridiculous.

TrojanWar
06-17-2005, 02:07 PM
I really think the best way to increase our worth/credibility is going to have to come from our Conference partners by(1) trying to increase membership (for football) so that a conference championship can be played and (2) more bowl tie-ins.

I totally agree. The conference is too small at its current size. We just barely have enough teams to make up a conference by NCAA rules as it is. We need at least 3 or 4 more teams.

We do need more Bowl tie-ins, but they won't come by beating Cal-Poly. Keep in mind we are not a BCS school so we need to beat some BCS teams in order to get an at-large bowl bid if we were not able to win the conference. That's the only way we can get in.

I just don't think the big pay days are as available as they once were (due in part to our success) and 2) We have to have BINDING contracts with other institutions and write them in such a way that the payoff far outweighs playing the game. Like forcing the "contract breaker" to pay 500k or something ridiculous.

Actually, I think we will have more opportunities to play BCS schools every year with the 12th game being added. The BCS schools do not want to play each other OOC, so the mid-majors have more BCS schools to work with. It's going to work out nicely in our favor...eventually.

Navarre Trojan
06-17-2005, 02:28 PM
schools will schedule many more D-1AA schools and "lower tier" mid-majors LONG before the schedule programs that are beginnig to prove themselves on the big stage! Why would they take that risk? When a near shoe-in victory allows them to count the W and not fear an L?

This is a tough rule for the up and comers, IMO

Go Trojans

RedEdgeTrojan
06-17-2005, 03:33 PM
This is a tough rule for the up and comers

Which is probably why it was passed.

MeanGreen61
06-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Here's your tenative '06 schedule from the Howell site. Gotta tell ya I like ours better. You got a killer OC slate.

Troy (Sun Belt)

9/9 Sat @ Florida State
9/16 Sat @ Georgia Tech
9/23 Sat @ Texas A&M
10/7 Sat vs. *North Texas
10/14 Sat @ *Florida International
10/21 Sat vs. *Louisiana-Monroe
11/4 Sat vs. *Louisiana-Lafayette
11/11 Sat @ *Florida Atlantic
11/18 Sat vs. *Arkansas State
11/25 Sat @ *Middle Tennessee State

North Texas (Sun Belt)

9/2 Sat @ Texas
9/9 Sat vs. Southern Methodist
9/16 Sat @ Tulsa
9/30 Sat vs. *Middle Tennessee State
10/7 Sat @ *Troy
10/21 Sat vs. *Florida International
10/28 Sat @ *Louisiana-Monroe
11/4 Sat vs. Louisiana Tech
11/11 Sat @ *Louisiana-Lafayette
11/18 Sat vs. *Florida Atlantic
11/25 Sat @ *Arkansas State

Howell 2006 schedules
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Sked2006.htm

snakeeater
06-17-2005, 06:15 PM
MeanGreen,

Wait till you see the Nebraska opener on the 2006 schedule.

MeanGreen61
06-17-2005, 06:42 PM
MeanGreen,

Wait till you see the Nebraska opener on the 2006 schedule.

OUCH ! :shock:

TrojanWar
06-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Take Texas A&M off of that list. We are not playing them. Again, this is old talk from back when JW was still AD. It was speculation on Texas A&M's part and they are just worse about updating their website than we are, so all of the other sites are feeding off it for information. Still, it's one tough schedule and if we do add Nebraska (or whoever else) it will be that much harder. I'm all for it though. As long as we win the conference, we are going to NO and at this time there is no other Sun Belt Bowl tie-in so the OOC games mean nothing towards going bowling. Those games give us an opportunity to make some money and beat a BCS school in the national spotlight. Only positive gains can come from this. Look at North Texas. They can't beat anyone out of the Sun Belt, yet they go to NO every year. Imagine the respect they would get if they were beating the OOC BCS teams.

tsufl
06-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Take Texas A&M off of that list. We are not playing them. Again, this is old talk from back when JW was still AD. It was speculation on Texas A&M's part and they are just worse about updating their website than we are, so all of the other sites are feeding off it for information. Still, it's one tough schedule and if we do add Nebraska (or whoever else) it will be that much harder. I'm all for it though. As long as we win the conference, we are going to NO and at this time there is no other Sun Belt Bowl tie-in so the OOC games mean nothing towards going bowling. Those games give us an opportunity to make some money and beat a BCS school in the national spotlight. Only positive gains can come from this. Look at North Texas. They can't beat anyone out of the Sun Belt, yet they go to NO every year. Imagine the respect they would get if they were beating the OOC BCS teams.

wasnt another SunBelt bowl tie in last year either.
we went to the bowl game b/c other conf. didnt have enough teams to fill their quota so YES our OOC games DO mean something if the same scenario was to happen it would help our chances.

TrojanWar
06-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I didn't revisit that point because it is highly unlikely to happen again in the near future. Sure, if the stars are aligned just right, it could happen, but to bank on that is ignorant. Look at it as a regular year and then you have to understand that the Belt will only have one Bowl team. That is, until we get a few more teams and pickup a couple of bowl tie-ins somewhere along the way.