PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Review.

TFan
09-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Now that our clothes are dry, the Victory Kool-Ade abetted and rose-tinted glasses removed (or dried out).. Please post your assesment of our play vs stAte, however soggy your memory.

I'll start, generally..

Offense-
1) Did anyone note that we were within Arky's 30-yd line at least 5 times and only came away with 3??? Shoulda/coulda been 38+ Points FOR at half.
2) Take JJ out of this mix (like graduation or something) and what we got left? Who's gonna step-up?
3) On the last (winning drive) anyone note that when Cory has the time in the pocket, the play develops and GOOD THINGS HAPPEN?
4) Punting, Goggins is the best. Has as large a repertoire of kicks as any I've watched, great job.

Defense
1) Can we stop the run??
2) Can we stop the pass?
3) Massaqoui, KANORRIS (welcome back) played well, Pickett(FR-DB) improved at corner, Willis improved at corner as well. Xavier improved at LB.

Coaching
1) fill in the blank __________. Give me your thoughts.

Our team shows streaks of greatness, when do we get to see 60 minutes of great play in the same game?

Trojan2003
09-26-2010, 10:44 AM
2) Take JJ out of this mix (like graduation or something) and what we got left? Who's gonna step-up?

That's a good question! We are competitive because of JJ!

-> http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

TrojanWarrior418
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't know if it would be fair for me to "grade" the team, but I'll tell you what I saw.

Offense: Moved the ball when we had to but turnovers (one interception and fumble) will come back to haunt us if we don't work on that. Also, left a lot of points on the field with the way our defense is playing our best bet is to run up the score as quickly as possible so our opponents can't catch up. All in all good job, but keep working so we can reduce our 3 and outs as well as 3rd and 4th down conversions.

Defense: Had some bright spots this week. We got to the quarterback several times and held on 4th down. But wide receivers were left uncovered and a simple quarterback draw gave us fits all night. As bad as it may seem at times, I did notice people starting to step up: Massiquio (sp), Lamb, Dudley, and the under classman who stopped Aplin dead in his tracks on a huge third down.

Special Teams: Don't know if anyone else besides me has noticed this, but Michael Taylor has consistantly missed field goals every game. I'm not talking 40 or 50 yarders, but 20 to 30 yarders. He missed a PAT at UAB last week (that came back to haunt us) and missed one deep in aSu territory. I really hope this is addressed this week.

Kick off and Kick off coverage I thought was a lot better.

Penalties: It was better this week, but still need to keep working on them because it sucks to go from 3rd and short to 3rd and long because of dumb mental errors.

Now we move on to MTSU. If the Blue Raiders only have one good game in them you better believe it will be against Troy. I'm not as confidant about our chances heading up to Murfreesboro as I have in years past. You better believe Middle is going to throw everything (including the kitchen sink) against us Tuesday night. I hope this team and build off of this weeks success and hang on to the Paladium for another year.

JonesOxygen
09-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Let me take up for Taylor (I dont take up for kickers very often). Last night was the first That has been his fault. The XP last week and the fields goal in the other game were bad snaps resulting in bad placements resulting in a bad result (don't think John madden could have said that any better)
Coaching, if the defensive play calling had been half that good last week, UAB would have never been in the game. So kudos to the staff for making changes. We still gave up a ton of yards though, but that's gonna happen I guess since we are "young". But 94 is looking and acting like 94 should.
Offense, bad pass by Robinson on the int. in the end zone after the fumble recovery, however you have to go at the end zone on that play so it was a good call just a bad throw. Only other issue on offense, in the 4th when they scored their 1st TD of the qtr, we had a 3 and out that lasted :38. We had success running the ball why not have one attempt in there. When it counted, Robinson looked like a 5th year senior on the final drive much like he did bs BGSU. By the way the patched up O line will not get the credit they deserve bur did a great job with what thy had to work with.
Special teams, good job. No big returns. On missed FG.
Referees, blew a few by our penalties were much better!
TV, should have left it at 6:00. No lightening delay and they would not have turned us off for ole miss.
Wal Mart Troy tents, FAIL. The storm broke them in many pieces!

Hemi Man
09-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Let me take up for Taylor (I dont take up for kickers very often). Last night was the first That has been his fault. The XP last week and the fields goal in the other game were bad snaps resulting in bad placements resulting in a bad result (don't think John madden could have said that any better)
Coaching, if the defensive play calling had been half that good last week, UAB would have never been in the game. So kudos to the staff for making changes. We still gave up a ton of yards though, but that's gonna happen I guess since we are "young". But 94 is looking and acting like 94 should.
Offense, bad pass by Robinson on the int. in the end zone after the fumble recovery, however you have to go at the end zone on that play so it was a good call just a bad throw. Only other issue on offense, in the 4th when they scored their 1st TD of the qtr, we had a 3 and out that lasted :38. We had success running the ball why not have one attempt in there. When it counted, Robinson looked like a 5th year senior on the final drive much like he did bs BGSU. By the way the patched up O line will not get the credit they deserve bur did a great job with what thy had to work with.
Special teams, good job. No big returns. On missed FG.
Referees, blew a few by our penalties were much better!
TV, should have left it at 6:00. No lightening delay and they would not have turned us off for ole miss.
Wal Mart Troy tents, FAIL. The storm broke them in many pieces!

Robinson is very cool under pressure. The kid is so poised as a RF that he has a lot of potential for the future.

My bookstore tent weathered the storm nicely.

GoTrojans
09-26-2010, 03:42 PM
"Special Teams: Don't know if anyone else besides me has noticed this, but Michael Taylor has consistantly missed field goals every game. I'm not talking 40 or 50 yarders, but 20 to 30 yarders. He missed a PAT at UAB last week (that came back to haunt us) and missed one deep in aSu territory. I really hope this is addressed this week."

Mikey missed a 43 yard field goal last night. It hooked at the very end. The extra point at UAB like JMS say's was a very poor snap. He is 10/12 on the season. His 2 misses have come from 43 and 52 yds respectively. Have you been watching the same kicker as the rest of us? He is a very good kicker. If you had said he has an issue on kickoffs you may have had a point (2 out of bounds at UAB). I for one think he is doing a good job!

Troy87
09-26-2010, 03:55 PM
My thoughts on this game are that we improved on defense and special teams. The offensive play calling this week was nearly perfect, and the fire in the team seemed to be burning a little hotter.

Offensively, I didn't see the pick, but to Corey's credit, as a RS Freshman to have 3 picks in 4 games, yet have 8 TDs, and have the 3rd highest passing yardage total in the country....not too shabby. I think Corey had a good game til late in the 3rd, he looked like he got a little nicked on a play, and he didn't seem to recover his accuracy until that last drive. Like Hemi said, when the pressure is on, he is coming through.

Also, Jamie played his role to perfection last night, The first pass where he rolled left looking like he was running, and then he threw the TD was great. It was like everyone forgot he was a lefty, and then remembered it right when he let go, but it was too late. Same on the TPC....roll left, look like a run and then pass. I saw him on the sideline after that and he was jazzed.

What can you say about Jerrel that hasn't been said? 311 All-Purpose yards. Second highest ypg average in the country, and trails #1 by 1/4 of a yard. His stock is going up every week.

Chris Anderson finally got to show his speed and running ability too. He is really the fastest of all the RBs, and it looks like that knee is coming along fine after the surgery 3 days prior to the BGSU game.

Defensively, considering we were essentially without one DE, and playing what was really a 3-4 with the LB moving up as a standing DE, was really a creative approach to our injury problem. We need Mario back bad, but Kanorris Donnell, Xavier and Jacoby did great in filling the hybrid DE/LB position. What I saw was we could stop the running outside, but up the gut...we just got blown away from the ball. I think Corley and Emanuel and Riley are not enough to fill the DT position. We just don't have enough of the big boys on the front DL to cover all bases.

Except for one or two plays last night, the secondary didn't let the receivers get behind them, and I didn't see any slacking. Chris Pickett came to play last night, and Willis made the most tackles (largely because we are lacking in the middle on the DL). The effort was there, and it was evident they got a little attitude adjustment this past week.

Special Teams improved a lot last night. Not so much in the actual coverage, but in the limiting of the oppnent's attempts to return kicks. We punted 5 times, but they only returned 1. Kickoff coverage was better, as were the kicks themselves....none were out of bounds this week. ASU averaged 12.5 yds per kickoff return, but none of the kicks were really deep except the 2nd one, which was a touchback. The 1st one they fumbled, and the others they received between the 10 and 20 yard line and got them back to the 30 or so. The one good kick return they had, they had a holding call setting them back at their 12 to start, so all in all the special teams did real good.

Finally, to the band, and those fans who stayed until it was over, BIG KUDOS!!!!! I was questioning the band's sanity for a few minutes when they had run the players into the locker rooms due to lightning, yet the band was going ahead and lining up on the sidelines and preparing to go ahead with the halftime show (I know, it was really the SOTS dedication coming through). I was thinking that holding metal instruments while lightning was dancing around was going to be a really different halftime show, with possibly some unintended fireworks. But thankfully, your wits returned, and you all departed the field safely. Oh, and thanks for going ahead and playing the halftime show music once you returned to the stands.

We still had some unnecessary penalties; substitution infraction, pass interference and holding at crucial times that either set us back deep, or put us in 3rd and long when it would have been 3rd and short. But, not nearly as what we have been getting the first 3 weeks of the season. Even so, we still have the most penalties per game in the country, and the next to most penalty yards per game in the country.

One other small item of note to pay attention to, especially for the upcoming MTSU game. We are 14th in the country in turnover margin, while MTSU is last in the country. We are +1.25 per game, they are -1.75 per game. That's a difference of 3 turnovers. That WILL be the difference in the game on October 5th.

moosicman
09-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Take JJ out of this mix (like graduation or something) and what we got left? Who's gonna step-up?

Chris Anderson looks really good and quick. Shaun Southward is great. I think Jernigan is everything he is made out to be, so much so that we are taking for granted that we have some excellent athletes who can and will step in. I'm not concerned about it myself.

Mr.E_205_Legion
09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
and the fire in the team seemed to be burning a little hotter.

Finally, to the band, and those fans who stayed until it was over, BIG KUDOS!!!!!

I agree! 1) I was pleased with the intensity that some of the players had during the game. 2) SOTS seems to never let the team down! 3) The players were thankful and appreciative to the fans after the game. Several stated, "Thanks for staying"!

Everyone get your heart medicine packed, fill up your car, and head north for Murfreesboro. IF you have ever wanted to meet the other Trojan faithful, that little corner of the endzone is where they will be on October 5th!

GoTroyGo1
09-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing our recruits. I'd love to see what this Shelton kid can do, (4.28)! He's small but looks like another diamond in the rough. I give LB grief for the play calling, but have never had a complaint about his recruiting.

moosicman
09-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm watching the game over again on ESPN360. The more I watch Anderson the more I really dig his play. His small but scrappy, quick in the open and shows a lot of heart. I dig #4.

Cane gone Trojan
09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
with JJ= chance to win
without JJ= no/little chance to win

I am really worried about next year without a JJ type player on offense.

The Messenger
09-27-2010, 11:13 AM
with JJ= chance to win

I'm not. I love Jernigan to death and he is the best player on the team. But he's also a very "feast-or-famine" type player. Injuries have hurt us this year more than people realize. Hopefully that won't happen next year.

trojanbrutha
09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
with JJ= chance to win

I believe that Jerrel is going to break a few more TROY and SBC records before it's all said and done, but Jason and the others are overshadowed by him. You drag Chip or Jason across the middle and the outcome could be similar, but I like the outcome the way life has drawn it up :thumb:

Burrt Keyes
09-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Special Teams: Don't know if anyone else besides me has noticed this, but Michael Taylor has consistantly missed field goals every game. I'm not talking 40 or 50 yarders, but 20 to 30 yarders. .

Not following you here. Taylor leads the nation in FG %. Min 7 attempts.