PDA

View Full Version : 3 Players possibly Ineligable for 2005

Tums
06-09-2005, 11:04 AM
I have been told Will Cook, Octavious Sumbry and DT McDowell may not meet the eligablity requirements for 2005.

TUTrojan
06-09-2005, 02:55 PM
DT- His loss could be huge or not so huge depending on how Meadows does.

Sumbry- He would add depth to a deep secondary but his loss would not be that crucial.

Cook- A huge loss given the condition of our line.

Three very tough players to lose, but Sumbry's loss would probably have the least amount of impact given our strengh in the defensive backfield. I am starting to think that a QB that can provide some continuity is more important than a great one that isn't guaranteed to be on the field from one game to the next for whatever reason.

Big Time Football
06-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Geez, what a possible mess. Is anyone able to validate this? Losing DT and Will Cook would be terrible. Losing any of them for that matter would be terrible.

Big Time Football
06-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Thinking more, losing DT would be terrible. We only have two experienced QBs in Meadows and DT. Loss of either QB is a huge detriment. LB and MF would have to depend on one of the recruits to step up and step up big. If Larry Dockery, the JUCO QB, shows, he'll be the most experienced of the new QBs and likely would be next in line. What a rollercoaster! I sure hope this is only rumor and not true.

Hector
06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Losing all three? Maybe, but as always, I'll believe that when (and if) I see it. Internet rumors on this board have turned out to be less than reliable.

Tums
06-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Losing all three? Maybe, but as always, I'll believe that when (and if) I see it. Internet rumors on this board have turned out to be less than reliable.
Yes, losing all 3.

Hector
06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Geez, what a possible mess

Good way of putting it. It's a "possible mess", that's all. the reason I am skeptical is that I have seen a lot of "my frat brother knows it for a fact" precitions on this board that panned out for nothing. This one could end up being true or not, but without a verifiable source, its just rumor, I'm afraid.

Tums
06-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Geez, what a possible mess

Good way of putting it. It's a "possible mess", that's all. the reason I am skeptical is that I have seen a lot of "my frat brother knows it for a fact" precitions on this board that panned out for nothing. This one could end up being true or not, but without a verifiable source, its just rumor, I'm afraid.
Troy QB ineligible for 2005 season

By Tom Ensey
Montgomery Advertiser

D.T. McDowell started six games for the Trojans last season, but he won't be back this year.
-- Julie Bennett Advertiser

Troy quarterback D.T. McDowell will not be on the team this fall because he failed to meet NCAA academic requirements, coach Larry Blakeney said Tuesday.

McDowell did not accumulate enough academic credits through spring semester to make it possible to become eligible by attending summer school.

A true freshman last season, McDowell started the last six games for the Trojans, but lost the starting job to Carl Meadows in spring practice.

McDowell, who played professional baseball in the Rookie League for the Los Angeles Angels organization last year, could return to Troy, but Blakeney said he didn't know what McDowell would do.

"He's got some choices to make," Blakeney said. "He can go back to baseball, or try to get some hours (at another college) on his own and come back here. He could play junior college or transfer somewhere else."

The Trojans' offense was sporadic with McDowell starting, but the Trojans won four of the six games, losing only to LSU and to Northern Illinois in the Silicon Valley Bowl.

McDowell was a highly recruited baseball and football player out of Tucker High School in Stone Mountain, Ga., and chose Troy over Mississippi State on signing day in 2004. He signed with the Angels after the baseball draft and spent the summer playing baseball before reporting to Troy's preseason camp in August.

He completed 42 of 104 passes for 585 yards with five touchdowns and four interceptions.

"I hate it," Blakeney said of losing McDowell. "He's a good player. There are all kinds of excuses and a lot of reasons, but he didn't get it done.

"He's a better student than he demonstrated in the classroom. He's smart and plenty able to do college work. But he never adjusted to the demands of being a college player. It's not easy. Not all of them can handle it."

Meadows transferred to Troy after playing one season at Division I-AA East Tennessee State, which dropped its football program after the 2003 season. Meadows appeared in two games for Troy last season and completed 1 of 4 passes.

McDowell's absence could move Gary Banks, who converted from quarterback to wide receiver last year, back to quarterback. That's not an ideal solution, Blakeney said, because Banks became a valuable receiver.

"Banks has become one of our most dependable receivers in just a short time at that position," he said.

The Trojans signed two quarterbacks who have not yet reported to campus -- Larry Dockery from Compton, Calif., who played last season for Moorpark College in Oxnard, Calif., and freshman Julian Foster from McGill-Toolin High School in Mobile. Blakeney said a couple of walk-on quarterbacks will have a chance to break in.

"We've got a problem and we've got to overcome it," Blakeney said. "We'll try to work it all out."

Troy opens its season on. Sept. 3 at home against Cal Poly.