PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville State

UABGT
09-22-2010, 08:22 PM
there has been a lot of talk about JSU moving up to D1 in 2013 as a member of the Sunbelt. What do yall think about that?

trojanz69
09-22-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm probably a little biased since I remember the "old days". I'd be in favor of renewing our in state rivalry. Those were the best games !!! The students, players and fans really got up for those games !

UABGT
09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
from what i understand it was all but a done deal. they have expanded and upgraded their facilities as a result. they would join the same year as USA which would put you at 11.

speculation and nothing but speculation is that you would add one more to get to 12 and a championship game. with the wac blowing up JSU might be left out in the cold with their spot going to an exwac team.

GoTroyGo1
09-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I had heard previously Appalachian St was considering moving to FBS, and Texas- San Antonio hired ex Miami coach Larry Coker to start their football program. Those are two more possibilities to move to the Sun Belt.

Yarddog
09-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I remember playing them back in the late 60's and early 70's. Also remember losing to Jax State 55-0 and wondering what happened as we seemed to have a good team that year and nearly always beat them.

I would like to see Texas State in San Marcos join the Sun Belt. That is a nice campus and they have almost as many beauties as Troy. From their forum tho they seem to be entranced by the WAC. Why, I don't know.

Discophobia
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I would love to renew the series with Jax State as a D1 school. As for being in the Sun Belt it would add more as a natural rivalry and to attendance than any school in Louisiana or Texas...I mean come on how many people travel to North Texas, ULL or ULM now?

trojanblood
09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I dont mind travelling to ULM considering that is where I did my Masters....LET THE RAIN OF HATRED BEGIN!!! LOL

Burn the Horse
09-22-2010, 10:44 PM
i'm against it. we have enough FBS programs in this state. we don't need them as a rival and we don't need them as a member of the Sun Belt. just my opinion though, doesn't make it right.

CardinalBlackTrojan
09-22-2010, 10:58 PM
how about no more picking up FCS schools. The SBC needs to try to get rid of the the perception of being a conference that picks up FCS schools. leave that for the WAC, MAC, CUSA, and Big East to do now. not the SBC.

tr_oj_ans
09-23-2010, 04:11 AM
I have no feelings of rivalry with them since all I saw was us thumping them in the 90's until it was boring. I'm not for them being in the Belt anymore than I am for gsu. They do us no good.

newnan trojan
09-23-2010, 06:22 AM
I think we should add Georgia State to the SunBelt. They are in the Atlanta market with 6million people in their metro. Georgia State also plays in the Georgia Dome which would be a great facilities for the Belt. They already have a large alumni base and they have great academics! Adding Jax state or Georgia Southern would only hurt our recruiting...

JPSousa1898
09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Bring on the Chickens... I have a vendetta with a vengence to oblidge.

Besides that, the SOTS needs a good band to challenge them... noone can seem to do that as well as the Southerners did.

FloriTrojan
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I've heard nothing about a done deal and little about a move-up. Have they eve announced their official intention to move up? I know their stadium ran way over budget and they even had to take down and rebuild part of it when it sunk and was in danger of collapse.

It is nice looking, albeit a total copy of what we have.

I say we play them when they are in I-A, or I-AA, but at Troy (or maybe go there once for two trips to Troy. They need to earn their keep).

As for the Sun Belt, we don't need any more up-and-comers - at least for now. I wouldn't be for USA if it weren't already in the Belt. We are slowly improving the conference's quality. Do we need another winless team for a few years, another WKU? It hurts us all and is a step backward.

Bringing in more I-A teams to our conference and state is embracing more competition for recruits. We lose. Nothing is in it for us.

Same for GSU, except for it has no support. It's basketball arena is a gym. It is a commuter school. Media market means little to ticket sales. Ask FIU. Atlanta is as over-saturated as South Florida.

I suggest all these up-and-comers form a new conference and have at it. We can schedule them to help with their I-A requirements and pad out schedules with wins.

newnan trojan
09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
For all of GSU's games they have had well over 30k each game. They have plenty of on campus students. GSU I believe is the largest university next to UGA.

FloriTrojan
09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Show me a full season's stats before jumping on the attendance bandwagon. What do they draw in basketball? What does Tech draw in football?

HideintheHorse
09-23-2010, 03:45 PM
For all of GSU's games they have had well over 30k each game. They have plenty of on campus students. GSU I believe is the largest university next to UGA.

I believe Georgia State had less than 10,000 for their second home game. The first game excitement disappeared quickly.

Also, after last week, I don't believe we should think we would "pad our stats" with wins against any team. I-A or I-AA. JMO

newnan trojan
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
And you think Ga southern would be a better choice than GA state?? GA southern is known in the state of Georgia as the party school. Students go there when they can make it into UGA or GT. Academically GA Southern doesnt cut it. Plus GA southern would hurt TROYs recruiting more than GA state will.

GT only seats 55k in a City of 6million. GT doesnt always sell out if ever. Its not like a large city has anything to do with attendance.

reded
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Ga. State drew about 16, 000 for their last home game vs Jax State. BTW the game was very competitive.

Trojansprinter
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
there has been a lot of talk about JSU moving up to D1 in 2013 as a member of the Sunbelt. What do yall think about that?

I know it wasnt long ago that Jax State was one of our biggest rivals. As recently as when I was at Troy in the late 90s. Having said that we will never become the powerhouse that I feel we could if we ever stay in a conference with teams like Jax St. No offense intended at all, but we have bigger fish to fry.

GoTroyGo1
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Don't include Alabama and Auburn on that list. When will people get that: 1. Neither will ever want to play us unless they are forced to by the state ie Marshall vs WVU and 2. We will never have the money, large fan baseand 80,000-90,000 seat stadium that go along with SEC membership. I'm the bad guy now? Don't mistake criticism for disloyalty to my alma mater.

newnan trojan
09-24-2010, 07:48 AM
:spam:

I disagree with the above statement about how Troy will never have a 80-90k fan base. I believe one day maybe not in the next 10years but one day we will have our time!

GoTroyGo1
09-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Troy isn't Auburn, Alabama or Florida. Where is the shame in that? I would follow the Trojans just as ardently if we were in the NAIA or Division III. The team just needs to do the best they can, and try to live up to the winning traditions set in decades past. I would have rather been beaten 50-0 by UAB than endure that fiasco, at least in the prior case we could have said we were just flat out beaten. I'm tired of being known as "Meltdown' U. It will be more of the same under the current regime. " The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

newnan trojan
09-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I know Troy isnt a Auburn or Alabama. But im not going to say Troy will never be like them! I fully believe within my lifetime Troy will pull as many fans and be just as good of a program in the state as they are.

reded
09-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Amen on the Einstein Quote.

Troy79
09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
When the NCAA opens things up for the FCS schools to make the leap to D-1,
I do believe that those programs listed in this thread (S. Ala, Jax St., Ga Southern, GA State, App State) will all become members of the Sun Belt. I think we will loose N. Texas to the WAC and maybe even Ark St. However, I do think that some of the current members of the Belt will have moved on to form a new conferece affiliation (ie C-USA, or a new conference with some current Sun Belt, C-USA, and even WAC members). It would be great to get back to playing Jax State on a regular basis but maybe not as a conference opponent.
Go TROY!

GoTroyGo1
09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
To rebut a previous post, when we will be able to pay a coach a seven figure or eight by then salary, get a stadium that makes our current one look like a greyhound bus stop, get rid of "fans" parking Rv's and watching SEC games in our tailgating areas, try that anywhere else and see the reaction you'd get.When will all this happen, who will pay for it? I guess I'm just a clown. I've only been following Troy football longer than some of you have been alive. Tell me I'm wrong in saying Capt Meltdown made Les (riverboat gambler) Miles look like Napoleon on the gridron. We need a new coaching staff, we need it very soon, before we see our program collapse like a house of cards. I accept we aren't a major collegiate power, others are a little too delusional in my humble opinion. I will be following Troy football, lord willing long after our present coaching staff is a memory. I shouldn't have the gall to be honest on this forum but someone has to.

troyfan
09-24-2010, 03:35 PM
To rebut a previous post, when we will be able to pay a coach a seven figure or eight by then salary, get a stadium that makes our current one look like a greyhound bus stop, get rid of "fans" parking Rv's and watching SEC games in our tailgating areas, try that anywhere else and see the reaction you'd get.When will all this happen, who will pay for it?

We will be able to pay a coach that kind of salary wehn we join the Big 12. I hear they are looking for 2 schools to join them.