PDA

View Full Version : To the Apologists

troy145
09-19-2010, 06:26 PM
You know who you are.

Let me ask you a few questions, so that we can establish where you people stand on principle.

Do you believe that if we could run an effective education system without teachers, we should do it? Or do you think that we partially run an education system no just so we can educate children, but employ teachers?

Do you believe that if we could have a crime rate of zero without any police officers, we should do it? Or do you believe that law enforcement exists not just to fight crime but to employ cops?

Do you believe that if we could manage to never, ever have a fire without employing any firefighters, we should do it? Or do fire departments exist not just to fight and prevent fires but also to employ firefighters?

Do you believe that if we could get the same production from our defense without a DC, we should do it? Or are we just keeping a DC not just so we can play at a high level, but also so we can employ nice-guy Rowell?

Because thats ultimately the only way you can defend his performances. To me, I feel like we should love and respect our players (students) enough that we are willing to go out and get them the absolute best coaches we can in order to give them the absolute best opportunities they can afford. By saying that you are content with a mediocre coach, you are saying you are content with treating your player mediocrely. What it ultimately translates to is the fact that you are unwilling, for the sake of our players, to call for a person who can do his job better than Rowell can.

The excuses that I've heard are ridiculous. How we're young, how we've got injuries. Cry me a river. We may not have a lot of returning starters, but a lot of our boys on defense have gotten a lot of PT in their careers, and its not like our defense sucking is new anyways. Even in a year where we had future pro-players Boris Lee, Bear Woods, Jorrick Calvin, Sherrod Martin, Brandon Lang, Cameron Sheffield, we couldn't stop an LSU team from scoring 31 pts in 16 minutes. That, my friends, is completely unacceptable. We didn't get the kind of defensive performances that we are capable of delivering in many games - BGSU 1&2, CMU, UAB, LSU, Ark, the list goes on and on. This is not a new phenomenon. Unfortunately, neither is the soccer-mom attitude of some of our less motivated forum members.

Most disgusting is this idea that, if you think a coach should be fired for doing a horrible job, you aren't cheering for your Trojans. This is like saying that because I want a friend to rid himself of a cancer, I'm not really cheering for my friend. Its a ridiculous assertion to make - so ridiculous in fact that the actual opposite is true.

But I have to say, through this all, I'm actually pretty impressed with the majority of you. Most of you have looked at this UAB loss as the straw that broke the camel's back, and for that I'm glad. Youve made the decision not to be content with underperforming. You've decided that winning, for you, is a priority. For a while, I wasnt sure that this fanbase had the cajones to make that kind of commitment to victory. I'm glad to see that for the most part, I was wrong.

Mike Cunningham
09-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Question back to the bag heads:

Why just because we don't automatically join your 'fire coach x' campaigns are we labeled apologists?

You do realize this group of 'apologists' also are not happy with losing, right? You do realize that we choose to be more level headed, right?

troy145
09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
You do realize this group of 'apologists' also are not happy with losing, right? You do realize that we choose to be more level headed, right?

There's nothing level headed about doing the same thing and expecting different results.

TrojanEmpire
09-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Question back to the bag heads:

Why just because we don't automatically join your 'fire coach x' campaigns are we labeled apologists?

These collapses (both defensively and special teams wise to UAB, USM, LSU, CMU and OSU) are due to the same mistakes occuring over and over again. These appear to not have been corrected yet.

As a coach, you know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing (incorrectly) over and over and expecting different results.

What is being done defensively and special teams wise is not working.

CHughes1102
09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
These collapses (both defensively and special teams wise to UAB, USM, LSU, CMU and OSU) are due to the same mistakes occuring over and over again. These appear to not have been corrected yet.

As a coach, you know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing (incorrectly) over and over and expecting different results.

What is being done defensively and special teams wise is not working.

Amen and that is the reason we are all pissed. I am a HUGE Trojan fan, I've been on this board for years, and I even started the game thread on Saturday. I was at the Stadium cheering my lungs off for Troy. I am a Trojan fan, but I do have a right to be upset that NOTHING is being done. We see this year after year. A couple games is one thing, but year after year? That's just plain ridiculous!!

Discophobia
09-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, what they said!!!! Great post troy145!!!!