PDA

View Full Version : CBS Hawaii Five-O Competition

jgrimsley
09-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Our SOTS are entered into a contest to see which college band performs Hawaii Five-O the best. Go to http://promotions.mardenkane.com/cbs/marchingbandmania/index.cfm?yt=IkWKDYyECgo, listen, and then go back on Monday to vote SOTS the best! :thumb:

troy4ever21
09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

moosicman
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Will vote...For the SOTS, of course. After watching most all of the videos, it seems the only competition (to me) is Notre Dame.

jgrimsley
09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Will vote...For the SOTS, of course. After watching most all of the videos, it seems the only competition (to me) is Notre Dame.

If you read the rules, they stipulate that the song can "be adapted and re-arranged if desired, provided it is not mixed or combined with any other music/song"
38 seconds into Notre Dame's video, they throw in Wipe-Out.
Yep, I'm being a stickler for the rules-their video shouldn't be allowed.
Just my $.02.

moosicman
09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Then there shouldn't be any competition then! :)

Bamcubz
09-20-2010, 08:46 PM
My daughter was telling me about this, too cool. She's in there.... somewhere.

PensacolaTrojan
09-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Of course I loved the SOTS and will vote for them. I did like Notre Dame's show, not withstanding the rule violation, and thought they would be your toughest competitor.
What about those indoor practice facilities at TCU and USC, pretty sweet.

moosicman
09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
I noticed the indoor too! How sweet would that be during inclimate weather!

JPSousa1898
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Troy's video is the most musical of the bunch. However, I did think some of the less musically polished ones were cute with the various video tricks they employed. However, there were a few that were downright embarassing to say the least.

moosicman
09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
One thing I'll say, be it the SOTS or ANYBODY. I'm never a fan of people in uniform dancing. It seems silly and a bit "geeky". Let the majorettes and flags dance. The drumline can pull off some things, but if your holding a horn, woodwind or brass, I think it looks goofy to dance around. Now thats just me. I know others probably feel different and I'm cool with that, so don't let my thoughts ruffle your feathers if you have a different take. It's cool! :) I just prefer to see an almost "stuck-up pride" than folks in a uniform dancing on the field. I saw it happening in several of these videos and thought I would make the observation.

JPSousa1898
09-23-2010, 11:23 AM
One thing I'll say, be it the SOTS or ANYBODY. I'm never a fan of people in uniform dancing. It seems silly and a bit "geeky". Let the majorettes and flags dance. The drumline can pull off some things, but if your holding a horn, woodwind or brass, I think it looks goofy to dance around. Now thats just me. I know others probably feel different and I'm cool with that, so don't let my thoughts ruffle your feathers if you have a different take. It's cool! :) I just prefer to see an almost "stuck-up pride" than folks in a uniform dancing on the field. I saw it happening in several of these videos and thought I would make the observation.

IMHO, if you look at what the SOTS was doing, I'd call that choreography. If you look at what some of the Big X bands do, that's more dancing, almost akin to what Alabama State does.

The movements that the SOTS did were well planned and choreographed, enhancing the music without detracting from its performance. Theis is extremely important, because MUSIC COMES FIRST in band.

I was very impressed with what they did and I do hope to see the SOTS announced as the winner of the Hawaii Five-O competition.

Not trying to be contrary my friend, just providing my insight on what I think was great and why.

Peace!

moosicman
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Not trying to be contrary my friend, just providing my insight on what I think was great and why.

Peace!

:) I know you're not. And I respect what you're saying. I just think bands doing dancing or choreography look "band nerdy". I wasn't even a big fan of Dr. Long's "right foot out, left foot out" minimalist dancing. LOL It all just looks a bit out of place, like the old lady rapping in the "Wedding Singer".

nohuddle
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
very well performed and a well produced video! nice job.

TUrocks
09-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Doesn't matter how good the band was when it's on the internet....internet voting contests are popularity contests.....the worst band on there could easily win if they get the word out.

Keep voting!!

Troy87
10-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Then don't let the word get about Yale. That was horrible.

I agree with the others, ND was the biggest competition from a music and performance perspective. If the "Wipeout" interlude is disallowed, as it should be, then SOTS is the best rendition with the crispest and most punctual sound.

Bamcubz
10-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Not sure which band it was but the one that went around in a circle made me motion sick, couldn't even watch it to the end. Some were okay but others were just awful. I did like the one that was a detective like skit, but for actual band performance and yes I am biased, Troy out did them all. :thumb:

Troytrojan2009
10-07-2010, 09:31 AM
When is the winner announced?

RDA Trojan
10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
When is the winner announced?

The site says to watch Hawaii Five-O on Monday, October 11th to see who won.

troy4ever21
10-11-2010, 10:00 PM
The University of Maryland won....

Troytrojan2009
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Disappointing...but good job SOTS

BMarkey
10-12-2010, 02:25 AM
What, no vote totals? Nothing?