PDA

View Full Version : B. Markey in hospital, keep him in your prayers and thoughts

TSU-Baggs
05-27-2005, 05:51 PM
I know many of you in the gotroytrojan.com community know Bob Markey or met him personally at TU sporting events and I want to let you know of his situation. Bob is in a hospital in West Palm Beach awaiting open heart surgery. He has been diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis that requires his aortic valve to be replaced. Needless to say he is feeling pretty down about the surgery, but the prognosis of a successful operation is very good. There is no other treatment other then the surgery for his survival. As with all open heart surgeries there are risks and I ask that you all keep Bob in your thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately since this is the holiday weekend, he is going to have to stay in the hospital and wait until Tuesday before the cardiac surgeon is available to do the operation. I talked to him a couple of times by phone today and I think the anticipation of the surgery is eating him up inside.

So, if you could keep him in your thoughts and prayers I, Bob, his family and all his friends will really appreciate it. I will keep you all informed of his progress. I will also see if he is up to taking any of your calls and will post that information later.

FaithinTSU, as you know, Bob is a regularly posts in all Forums, could you post this in the Announcement section of your board.

Thank you,

Marty

snakeeater
05-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Bob,

You have the prayers of my family and myself. You will do just fine, and I'm looking forward to meeting you this season. It's going to be a great year, one we'll all talk about for a while. I look forward to sharing it with you.

God Bless

TSUWhiner
05-27-2005, 07:05 PM
We really miss having you on the board. I have never met you but I would like to. I have also enjoyed your pictures that you take and post on here. Please stay safe and get well sir! Ill make sure to make you laugh with my whining when you get back.

Whiner

Trojans1andAll
05-27-2005, 09:21 PM
I'll be rooting for BMarkey. I love his photography work and he always has a level head on the forums. I'll be hoping for his speedy recovery.

trojanforce
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
B. Markey,
My prayers are with you! Get well soon and lets enjoy this upcoming season.

TrojanForce :)

trojanforce
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
BMarkey,
My prayers are with you! Get well soon and lets enjoy this upcoming season.

TrojanForce :)

TUEngineer
05-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Wow, my prayers are with Bob. Bob's one of the nicest guys I've met off of this board. I hope everything works out for the best and he is back soon to post more great pictures...

faithintsu
05-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Bob - the prayers and thoughts of the entire GoTroyTrojan.Com Nation is with you. May God bless you and your family during this tough time.

TSU-Baggs
05-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks Jeff for putting this in the announcement section. I spoke to Bob just a little while ago. He's being Bob, he'd really like to be somewhere else at the moment, like home posting on GoTROYTROJANS.COM. :D He's hating the anticipation of Tuesday and wishes the operation could be done right away so this will all be behind hime. His family is going to be bring his LT to the hospital where they will let him use the phone to dial-up to the Internet. I'm sure he will need to get his fix of gotroytrojans.com and post a message for all to see.

That's the latest for now. Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes, I know he will really appreciate it!

Troy87
05-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Damn Bob!

You get through 2 hurricanes, survive the awful weather in San Jose, and then this happens. I guess there's no other way to put it....you left your heart in San Francisco, didn't ya.

Well, at least all this is during the off-season. Time to recuperate and get ready for fall. In the long run this might be best. Get the ol' ticker strong enough for what I think may be a heart-stopping Troy football season.

BMarkey
05-28-2005, 02:17 PM
That's great, Troy87! We all laugher hard here in the hospital (Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center).

And thanks to much to the rest of you who posted and have kept me in your prayers. I really appreciate your concerns. The Trojans bond is indeed great!

I'll be under supervision and best rest here for the holiday weekend (can't get those bigtime surgeons in here when the golf course and grean-blue Gulfstream waters beckon... Must be Gators or Elephants) and then have my open heart surgery on Tuesday around noon. I expect a five-hour process during which the team will remove my aortic (main) heart valve and replace it with either a bovine (cow) replacement or metal valve. This pumps all the blood into the heart and is almost completely blocked due to a birth defect (bicuspid or two openings instead of the customary three leaflets).

I had an extremely scary and near-death experience yesterday when they did a cardiac catheterization (tube through your arteries to the heart). The blockage in the valve was so bad, the circulation got cut off and I could literally feel myself going out. I told the doctor and he kept pushing that damn thing (size of a coffee stirrer) in there. I told him again I was going and then the nurse warned him the stats were bad (PVCs?). He finally pulled back and I recovered with a good deal of pain an hour or so later. The doctors and nurses later referred to it as "the episode."

:)

Anyway, they found that the aortic value has a .2 centimeter opening, when it should be open to 3.6 centimeters. Yikes! They keep bringing people into here my heart and I hear comments like "wow" and "I've never heard that before".

I have a choice between a cow value and metal valve. The cow lasts up to around 15-20 years, while the metal value will last a lifetime. But the metal valve requires lifetime, religious use of Kumadrin (or something like that), which is made of rat poison and is a blood thinner. I would have to watch getting any cuts, bruises, etc.

I am leaning toward the cow valve, despite the risk of another operation at age 60 or beyond.

Anyone here have any suggestions about that?

It stinks being here on the holiday, just waiting, but I have lots of close family who are helping. And, I'm getting a whopping 50kbs on the dialup connection. Cell phones are allowed in this hospital.

When the nurse was checking me in yesterday, she asked if I had any religious, cultural or similar needs. I replied: "Yes! High-speed wireless Internet!"

I will try to get on here more later, or after the operation. Typing, believe it or not, tires me out. I have been feeling weak for some time, and figured it was "old age" (44). I could still run a 5k race etc. But just recently even taking out the garbage or walking briskly through Costco was difficult. It took me a month to get a cardiologist appointment and after he saw me Tuesday, he told me to come back the next day to another local hospital for an eco-cardiogram. he personally witnessed that (kind of like ultrasound on a mother) and was astounded to see the blockage. he would not let me go and sent me to the E.R. for an immediate cardiac cath. Well, after close to eight hours in the E.R. and changed plans to get the cath done at three different hospitals, they announced that I was to stay there overnight and then be transferred here to Palm Beach Gardens (one of two major open heart surgery centers in Palm Beach County).

I blew my top and bolted! I had my daughter's high school graduation to attend on Thursday and would not miss it. They warned me of the risk, and I was really sick, but felt better as the ceremony began. I even made lots of pictures. The family celebrated at dinner (Outback!) and it was a great night. Daphne was happy.

I checked in for the cath yesterday and here I am. The operation would have been done yesterday, but the main surgeon said he would have felt uncomfortable calling in his team
on the holiday weekend. :)

I am praying and expecting the best for this, my first operation and first hospital stay. God willing, I will be there at MGVMS this fall and cheer on the boys (and girls in other sports).

I hope to meet those of you I with whom I have not had the pleasure.

And Baggs .... I love you, guy, but I'm going to kill you for starting this thread!

Once and hopefully not for all: GO TROY!

TROYgirl128
05-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Good luck with the surgery. I've never met you, but you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

faithintsu
05-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Bob - we all live for high speed wireless internet and I would have been screamning the same thing!!

I will be praying for you and I hope all goes well with the surgery. If you need anything at all, please do not hesitate to ask any of us.

God Bless!!

Hector
05-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Bob, you are in our family prayers, rest assured. Try not to mess around with the nurses, OK? :D

You are a True Trojan, Bob. Get well quickly.

troystfan
05-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Take care Bob, my prayers are with you. I have never met you but your're a Trojan, that's enough.

Don't know a thing about the two valves, just whatever it takes to get you back up and running.

TUEngineer
05-29-2005, 12:35 AM
For those of you who have never personally met Bob, You're missing out.

Lord-Mustang
05-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Bob,

Take care and we are with you if you need anything...except a valve of course. Seriously though, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

BMarkey
05-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks, all. It's touching to know you have so many people out there to keep you in their thoughts and prayers. It makes me even more proud to be a Trojan.

I am managing to be kind to the nurses, but they seem to be able to defend themselves pretty well here. I haven't seen Nurse Betty yet.

I'm watching the UF-Vandy game on SunSports (Gators just won 5-4) and still kicking myself about the way Troy choked in both small ball tourneys. Well, there's still an at-large birth, if the NCAA can't stomach screwing Troy twice in one month. Come on boys, make a run!

I'm still trying to decide on the valve - metal and a lifetime of being careful and stopping any risky things; or the cow valve and doing what I want but risking being back here in 10-15 years. Tough decision, for sure. The nervousness is starting to eat at me, so the doc said Zanax might be appropriate. I'm not much of a drug guy (prefer a bit of Jack) :)

And, by the way, taking the Coumadin requires very light or no alcohol at all. That's it; decision made!

I hope we can have some get-togethers this fall and get to meet those of you I know only here.

Again, my regards.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
05-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Best wishes Bob. Those surgeons know what they're doing and I know you'll be in very good hands. Good luck and we'll be praying for you.

tsu59
05-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Hang in there Markey - we are all praying for you.

Troy87
05-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Bob,

I can't really say which valve type is better, but what I can tell you is this. My grandmother had a pig's valve "installed" in about 1977 or so (don't exactly recall) and she was about 68 at the time. She did have to be on cumadin the rest of her life. Thankfully, she lived to be 88. I seem to recall that because of the cumadin, there was always a small amount of leakage.

Now she was neither a drinker or a smoker, so that probably helped a lot, but she was stressed immensely for 15 of the last 20 years of her life from taking care of my grandfather.

Also, don't know how much difference there is in a pig's valve and cow's valve. Do you like pork BBQ or beef BBQ? If you go with metal though, make sure the doctor's give you a written note to get you through airport security.

In all sincerity though, Good Luck and God be with you and the doctors on Tuesday, and know that our thoughts will be. I'll save you a couple of box seats this fall for a couple games.

Sarahbelle
05-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Awww...Bmarkey!

Get well soon! Lots of prayers from Mobile! :)

trojan563
05-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Bob,
Im praying for you-

ET 563

ThePowerMan
05-30-2005, 08:55 PM
I know we will all keep you in our prayers. I have never met you but I ahve enjoyed your posts and pics. Take care and I hope you recover well. We need you back well before Game 1 in the Gallery.

TrojanWar
05-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey Bob, I've been away for a while so I'm just catching up on the board. You have no idea how surprised I was to find this thread. I'm already praying for you to come through with flying colors. I'm sure you will have great Doctors and they will give you 150% of their attention at all times. I expect to see a post from you as soon as you are recovered and feeling a little better.

Navarre Trojan
05-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Bob, We are all thinking about you and keeping you in our prayers. You still have 96 days to get well and ready for Cal-Poly.

TroJam
05-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Get Well, Bob and take it easy on that ticker.

TSU-Baggs
05-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Bob went into surgery just after 1pm today. I spoke to his daughter at about 4:15pm today and he was still in under going the operation. It is now after 6:30pm est. and I haven't heard anything yet. So, I'm hoping no news is good news. Thank you all for keeping Bob in your thoughts and prayers. I spoke to him several time over the last couple of days and he really appreciates your outpouring of support. You're all true friends!

I will let you know when I hear anything.

Marty

TSU-Baggs
05-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Bob is out of surgery :!: :!: :D I received a call from Bob's significant other, Linda, just a little while ago and she told me the operation was over. It was successful overall, however, the surgeon told her that the operation was more difficult then they expected. He had so much calcium build up around his artery that he now requires a pace maker as well. :( The pacemaker will be inserted later this week. He's now in ICU and will be there for at least 24 hours.

As I was typing this, Linda just called me again and said they just got out from seeing Bob in ICU and he's resting comfortably, albeit wtih a resperator helping him breathe. Since leaving the OR, and being moved to ICU, his prognosis has improved. The nurses said his heart rhythm is better than expected and now there is a possibility he won't need a pacemaker if it continues to improve. :D Talk about an emotional roller coaster! But, I'll take it. She also said his color is good and he's looking better than she expected. He's still pretty much out of it due to the anesthesia and "happy pain" medicine he's on. They're going to try and have him eating Jello, yes Jello, in the morning and then have him up walking around as soon as possible. Kurt and I are planning to go down to West Palm as soon as he can see visitors. Right now ICU rules allow only 10 min visits by close family and friends. So until then Bob, get your rest and take it easy and we'll see you when you're up and about eating mass quantities of JELLO! :-)

P.S. Being as addicted to GOTROYTROJANS.COM as Bob is, I'm taking bets as to when Bob will make his first posting since his operation. I say Thursday between noon and 5pm. Place your bets, any takers :?: :?: :lol:

Thanks again for keeping Bob in your thoughts and prayers, they really helped him and his family get through this. Keep them coming, he's still got a couple of tough days ahead.

Marty a.k.a Baggs

TrojanWar
05-31-2005, 09:06 PM
I say he posts on Thursday as well. Bob seems to be one tough Trojan, so I expect he will be back on his feet in no time. I say the first post is before noon on Thursday...at least I hope.

Hey Baggs, what's his favorite beer? I'm going to go out and buy some of his favorite and enjoy it in his honor knowing full well it won't be long before he is enjoying it himself very soon. I think Bob would appreciate that.

TSU-Baggs
06-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey Trojanwar, Bob likes dry beers. I think his favorite is Bud Dry. It was a pretty popular 10 years or so ago, but now it's gotten harder to find. When we go out he's always asking if the bar has it.

I don't have any new status on Bob's condition this am. When I hear, I'll let everyone know.

TrojanWar
06-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I did it for Bob. He better appreciate that because I hate Bud Dry! Also, I guess I lost the wager because it's 12:30 here and he still has not posted.

Bob, I hope you are feeling better and we will continue praying for you and drinking in your honor! I know those two things don't mix well, but it just feels right and I think the good Lord will understand.

TSU-Baggs
06-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I lost too, it's Friday now and still no post from Bob and I haven't heard any new update since Weds night. I'm trying to reach his family now to get an update. When I do, I will post his status.

Baggs

Tums
06-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Bob I hate to here about your condition. I hope everything has went well for you. One piece of advise I have for you is to sleep with a night light on. I know a couple of people that have had the open heart surgery and they all tell me the same thing. For the first few months afterwards they have reoccuring dreams that scare them and it helps when they wake up and could see where they are.
Best of wishes and Tight Lines.
JS

BMarkey
06-05-2005, 06:22 AM
hi all:

i'm baaak, sort of. hurts like the devil, mentally and physically. nights and dreams are worst.

sorry` typing with left hand on Vicodin.

i'm proud and thank God to still be anong you. your words here and by e-mail are keeping me going. last couple of days have been a rollercoaster of mental and phydical anguish {nothing by Iraq/Afghanistan troop standards}.

details later when i can start focusing.

..so. who won the bet?

TUEngineer
06-05-2005, 11:26 AM
..so. who won the bet?

I'd have to say that you did b/c you're doin alright...

TSU-Baggs
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm on the phone with Bob right now and he's doing a bit better tonight. Still hurting and the meds he's on make him feel in and out of semi-reality land. :shock: Bob wants me to say that he appreciates all your prayers and support. He also wants to thank Jeff and all the gotroytrojans.com members for the flowers. He hopes he's going to get to go home in the next day or so and then it's going to be several weeks before he's able to return to any normal activity. He should be back to normal and ready for football season come September for sure. And that's what really counts!! :D :D

Of all the days I have been talking to him since the operation, tonight he sounds the best. He sounds more and more like the old Bob from before the operation, even though he tells me he's feeling pretty bad still.

He just said he won't be posting again until he's feeling well enough to use his computer at home. Plus the dial-up speed is killing him!! :x He will be monitoring the board when he can and I'll keep giving you guys updates as he continues to recover and gets back to normal.

BMarkey
06-05-2005, 10:07 PM
... and he seeing shadowy spider-monkey-type things, furry critters and even shooting stars in his room and waiting area!

Seriously.

Back soon. I might actually get discharged tomorrow.

I've gone from morphine to Percaset Vicodin to Darvacet. Can't deal with it.

TrojanWar
06-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Great to hear from you Bob! I was about to be sick from all of this Bud Ice! I can't believe you drink this crap. No wonder your heart just about gave out. Now it's back to Coors Light and Killians for me and not a day too soon. Seriously, I really was glad to see you posting again. I certainly look forward to your regular posts when you get to feeling a little stronger. We will continue to pray for you, but I'm so glad I was able to throw away the rest of that damn BUD ICE!

Big Time Football
06-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Bob, how are you doing?? Keep us posted. You are in our daily prayers.

BMarkey
06-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi all this is Daphne (Bob's daughter). I just wanted to let you all know he is doing better and better everyday. He went to Cosco the other day and walked around for a couple of hours. As we speak he is getting his hair cut because it has grown out of control. He must be doing better since he is yelling at me about the way my photos come out and he sends me about 300 e-mails a day. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

-Daphne

P.S. Can't wait till Nov 5, 2005
This will be the historical day that the FAU Owls beat Troy at their own homecoming!!!!! GO FAU!!!

Hector
06-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Daphne, thanks for your post. I am glad that your dad is doing better -- all those prayers do work! He will be right back in swing for football season. Just one more thing -- you do realize that when FAU plays TROY that you and your dad will have to be on opposite sides of the fence on that one! All the best to you as you get ready for college life.

TrojanWar
06-13-2005, 09:59 PM
How dare you post such rubbish under one of Troy's greatest fan's username on this board!!!! That's slander sister! Bob would be outraged.

Seriously, I'm glad to hear Bob is doing better and I sure have missed him on the board. Oh yeah, and Bob, if I ever go into the hospital for anything serious, you are going to be drinking a lot of Killians!

BMarkey
06-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi all:

Well, that will teach me to leave this laptop logged in while Daphne is around!

FAU has always been my second place team (I always like the underdog), so if she can't go to Troy, Boca Raton is fine with me. Seriously, she wants to be relatively close to home, at a good, good-sized school, with fun activities such as marching band (of which she will be a member), Greek system and sports. FAU's band will be brand new for this season and many of her old high school buds will be part of it with her. Also, she can continue to ride in major hunter-jumper events (her major talent ... When will morre schools start NCAA riding teams?!) ... and maybe even walk onto the swim team.

But when she comes to Troy on Nov. 5, we'll all have to convince her to change her non-Trojan ways! This will first H.C. at Troy in around four years.

I appreciate everyone's concern. The operation aftermath was extremely painful, coma-like and full of narcotic-related side-effects. I finally weaned myself off everything but extra-strength Tylenol last week and just gutted it out. I almost had to go back into the hospital due to side-effects and loss of feeling in my extremities, but lots of sleep (finally after more than six days of zero sleep) helped somewhat.

I can walk around a bit (an hour of very slow trudging through Costco felt like the old two-a-days in high schoool ball), but it takes a lot of work. When I reach across my body, I can sometimes fell my sliced ribs rubbing against each other! It's gross.

I did get my hair cut today and even looked at some furniture. Hopefully, I won't pay for it with aches and pains tomorrow.

I'll try to get on here more often. Believe it or not, even typing is hard. I can't imagine how tough taking the garbage can out will be.

Hopefully, time will heal all (wish it moved faster) and I'll return to Troy fanaticism (while smiling at a few Howard Schnellenberger upsets) with a vengeance.

And war, I hate Killian's but will be there for ya (hope not).

Last Monday night as I freaked out in pain and stress, I sucked in all of the prayer energy you all provided. It worked. Some sleeping pills, a reassuring cardiologist and some positive thought got me pointed back in the right direction.

I am deepply touched and appreciative of all your efforts on my behalf. I can thank you all by striving to be a better person. And I will do at least that.

Regards,

Bob

BMarkey
06-14-2005, 12:42 AM
I forgot to post a recent picture of my pride and joy, at her Royal Palm Beach High School senior awards ceremony:

http://www.palmswestphoto.com/photos/Events/schact/RPBHSGRAD2005/e39b9637.jpg

Sarahbelle
06-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Bob,

I am so happy to hear you're feeling better! You'll continue to be in my thoughts as you recover. :)

Sarah

BMarkey
06-14-2005, 03:39 PM
This is Daphne again:

Sorry guys but I still say that FAU will beat Troy :P . And I WILL get my Dad to cheer for FAU @ that game some how (I am a Daddy's girl). Oh ya FAU Marching Owls ROCK :wink: !!!!!!!!! Oh and the laptop he is refering to would definately be MY laptop I got for christmas 4 years ago!!! :D

Daphne
GO OWLS!!!

Http://www.palmswestphoto.com
(he is not the only photographer in the family)

P.S. Sorry Dad I just had to post one more time. And you better still take me on the trip this summer.

TrojanWar
06-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Daphne, try as you might, Bob will never pull against Troy in any sporting event. I don't care of its thumb wrestling, he'll yell for the Trojans. Don't get your hopes up this year. Troy should whip FAU handily this fall.

Bob,
It's great to hear from you! Get all the rest you can and then when you start feeling better...DO NOT TELL ANYONE! Keep getting rest! You can never have enough after such a major sugery as what you just went through. Work can wait. Nothing is so important you have to risk your health for...except Troy football of course. We'll wheel you into MGVS on a stretcher if we must!

TSU-Baggs
06-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey War, knowing Bob, he'll be there with bells on at the first home game of the year to cheer on his Trojans. Daphne, I have to agree with War, he'll never cheer for FAU when they play Troy. And, FAU's band will have to pay attention when the SOTS takes the field to see have to be an award winning marching band! :D

Bob, Karen, Kurt-Bud and I and the rest of the gang we're all wishing you could have been with us last night at PI. We have a good time and toasted a few cold ones in your honor! Give me call when you're up to it.

Baggs

BMarkey
06-19-2005, 10:22 PM
I do wish I was there!

I'll be off alcohol for a while, unfortunately, at least until I get off the blood thinner and other nasty stuff.

Thanks again for all your support.