PDA

View Full Version : Lindy's preseason picks -

Trojan1998
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I just bought the Lindy's preseason magazine today. For your reading pleasure, I thought that I'd post some of their picks and analysis.

#1. USC
#2. Texas
#3. Michigan
#4. Florida
#5. Oklahoma
#6. Tennessee
#7. Ohio State
#8. Florida State
#9. LSU
#10. Virginia Tech

#14. Georgia
#17. Auburn
#22. Alabama

#50. UAB (picked 2nd in CUSA East Division behind USM)

#73. North Texas

#81. Troy

other Sun Belt teams:

#98. Louisiana-Monroe
#102. Middle Tennessee
#105. Louisiana-Lafayette
#113. Florida Atlantic
#114. Arkansas State
#119. Florida International

Sun Belt Conference picks:

#1. North Texas (Until proven otherwise, stick with North Texas, seeking its fifth straight leauge title.)

#2. Troy (No. 2 might be a bit high (especially if passing doesn't improve), but this program is in fine shape.)

#3. Louisiana-Monroe (Experience, particularly at the skill positions, make ULM a legitimate title contender.)

#4. Middle Tennessee (League title not likely but first winning season since 2001 is a good possibility.)

#5. Louisiana-Lafayette (Cajuns could get to the top of the league, but four tough road games block their way.)

#6. Florida Atlantic (The Owls are at least a year away from being an upper-echelon team in the Sun Belt.)

#7. Arkansas State (Indians should improve on last year's three-win total but have taxing road schedule.)

#8. Florida International (FIU could sneak up on some teams but isn't ready to consistently compete in the Sun Belt.)

* Bernard Davis (LB) and Johnny Faulk (DB) are both on Lindy's preseason 1st team Defense.

Trojans1andAll
05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
UA'sB is #50, eh? Goes to show what these magazines know. UA'sB has started the season ranked higher before, and we handed them their heads.

But I'll probably still buy Lindy's and Athlon anyway for a football fix until the season starts.

GO TROJANS!

TroyPremier
05-27-2005, 08:47 AM
but has anyone else noticed that EVERY year they pick Texas in the preseason Top 5? Ever since I can remember, they are constantly putting them up there and saying "this is going to be their year." No offense to Texas fans, but they have yet to even finish the season in national championship contension. Anyone understand why they're picked that high year after year?

Trojan1998
05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
From what I can tell, Texas oftentimes has a very favorable schedule with only one or two really tough games, and the Horns are always loaded with talent. With these two combinations, it's tempting to predict that they will finish really high in the polls. However, recently, OU has had the Horns' number and you can usually count on the annual meeting in Dallas to be in the Texas loss column.

tsu59
05-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey 1998 - where is Marshall ranked ? - bet they are ranked higher than Troy - we probably need to win the next 5 out of 5 to get ahead of them :lol:

UABhoops
05-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Marshall's ranking and Troy's ranking are not based on how they do head to head. You can win the next 10 games against Marshall and still be ranked below them.

Trojan1998
05-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Marshall is actually ranked below Troy in most of the preseason publication polls that I've seen so far.

UABhoops
05-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Most Marshall fans are predicting a down year for them. I don't think they'll come close to contending for the CUSA crown this season and if they do it will be because the teams expected to contend flat out choke.