PDA

View Full Version : Top High Schools

TSUWhiner
05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
I am very suprised but the #1 high school in america goes to...Jefferson County/Irondale, AL! how cool is that..also look down the list at #21 Troy/Fullerton, CA

TSUWhiner
05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/

TrojanWar
05-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Ahhhh, now I see. I thought it was a high school football ranking. This should probably be moved out of the football forum. Nice find though. I searched through the entire listing looking for schools I was familier with...even my high school. It was not in the list, but it should have been compared to some that did make the list. Come on, Little Rock Central should be in the bottom 100 in the US! No way it's a top 1000. I think any moron could figure that out.

TU/JSU Fan
05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I have never heard of Jefferson County High School in Irondale... Wouldn't that be "Shades Valley High School" in Irondale?

Michael

faithintsu
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Its a private school there. The name slips my mind, but I do know its a private school. The girl on the cover of Newsweek is from that school, so good publicty for Alabama.

fiesty_red
05-10-2005, 10:26 AM
As per an article in the Montgomery Advertiser, the IB school consists of 300 or so students and is located on the campus of Shades Valley High School . . . whatever that means.

TROYgirl128
05-10-2005, 10:57 AM
The IB schools is the Interbaccalaureate School (I definitely can't spell that word). It is for above average students who are VERY bright. It requires A LOT of work on a college level, from what I understand. I have a friend who was in it her freshman year of high school and she got out of it because she said that she had no time. It was all school, and it was very difficult. It is located on the Shades Valley campus. So...it's kinda like taking all AP classes, I think. It was difficult for me to understand when it was explained to me so I'm trying to convey all of that through typing, which sometimes makes it more difficult. I'll see if I can get in touch with my friend to get a little more information on it for you.

Also...
Mountain Brook High School (#248)
Auburn High School made the list at #211.
It seems like there's another one from the Birmingham area...eitehr Shades Valley or Vestavia Hills, but I can't seem to find it right now.

TROYgirl128
05-10-2005, 03:03 PM
The IB program stands for International Baccalaureate. Go ahead and read the link to this following website: http://www.ibo.org/ibo/index.cfm?page=/ibo/programmes/prg_dip&language=EN

It's separated from other schools because it has its own expectations and curriculum for the gifted students. All the classes are very rigorous and college-level! I'd rather have a social life : ) I dropped out of this program in 10th grade b/c it was too challenging for me, and my life was completely revolved on academics! However, all the teachers were very dedicated and helpful!

This is from the friend who got out of the program. I haven't been to the website, but I'm sure that it will be helpful for those of you who are interested in some more information.