PDA

View Full Version : Well, duh....

Hector
05-03-2005, 02:03 PM
On the recent NCAA rules change for IA eligibility:

"When we went to the turnstile attendance, I think we inadvertently harmed some institutions because they don't control the weather," NCAA President Myles Brand said. "I think that's an indication that we had the wrong rule."

You'd think that the Sherlocks who thought this rule up would have thought it through a little better than this. Of course, the rules were originally proposed and pushed by certain IAA conference commissioners, who were seeing their membership dwindle, as excellent IAA programs opted to go IA. This was a backdoor attempt to make it all but impossible for teams to get into IA. Also, when you think about it, why in the world should there be an attendance policy for IA, but not for IAA? It makes no sense.

I noticed also that actual attendance is down the drain (butts in the seats). Instead, corporations and individuals can purchase blocks of seats. Even if they don't actually show up to the game, those sold tickets count toward the 15,000, provided that the seats were sold at at least one third of the value of the highest priced seat.

Troy87
05-03-2005, 05:54 PM
For those interested, Troy ranked 89th in average attendance in 2004 at 21,228 per game (UAB was 91st at 20,606 per game).

When measured as a percent of stadium capacity Troy ranked 72nd at 70.76% (UAB was 114th at 24.8%).

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attendance/ia_attendance.html

There are a lot of interesting attendance statistics out there. For instance, the Sunbelt had more people attending their games on average than the MAC had per game. It was only by 155 people per game, but the Sunbelt average was up over 3,000 per game whereas Mac was up by 79 people per game. BTW, Troy was the biggest reason for the increase in the Sunbelt average. MAC dropped to the worst attended I-A football conference.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2004/2004_football_attendance.pdf

I think we have the right size stadium for us right now, but I think in 5-10 years we'll be looking for Phase II of expansion, which I think will put us at just over 40K. If I remember correctly, the total plan through Phase VI takes us up to 64K capacity at MGS.

ThePowerMan
05-04-2005, 09:10 AM
GREAT STATS. Where do you guys come up with all the interesting stats? I don't have the time to sit and search. But the good thing is ....... I always have GoTroyTrojans.com to keep me informed. Thanks!

TROYgirl128
05-04-2005, 11:28 AM
6 phases will only get us to 64K? I don't think that we need all of that space now, obviously. However, we will at some point. But in 6 phases (that's a lot of building and several years) and we'll only be at 64K? I don't see how it'll take us 5 more phases to double what we have now. I do understand that with building (especially if the location doesn't change) we'll have to go up and close in the other endzone so we'll be ADDING a lot of NEW stuff instead of just adding a little here and there to what we have. I don't know. That just seems like a lot of time just to double what we have.

TrojanWar
05-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Why don't we sell out a game in the current stadium before we start anticipating more expansion. That's the goal for now. Let's get to the point where we are selling MGVS out for every home game, and then we can worry about how many it will potentially hold.

Troy87
05-05-2005, 05:52 PM
TROYgirl,

Some of the phases deal only with adding end zone seating or minor filling in of corners. In fact some phases could be completed at the same time if necessary. The idea was to be as modular as possible.

For those who don't know it, the "upper deck" seating on the visitor's side is detachable and able to be moved to the open concrete area in the end zone behind the band seating. This would be done when the upper deck with skyboxes is required on the visitor's side. Another phase would add end zone seating toward the field house. Another phase would add upper deck seating in that same end zone.

All together though, the footprint of the stadium and the limitations of the surrounding structures and roads would allow the stadium to maximize at 64K.

If we ever get to the point we need that size stadium, we'll prbably be building a new one at a different site anyway.

TrojanWar,

Why don't we sell out a game in the current stadium before we start anticipating more expansion. That's the goal for now. Let's get to the point where we are selling MGVS out for every home game, and then we can worry about how many it will potentially hold.

That was pretty much the point of the last paragraph of my original post.