PDA

View Full Version : Campus construction projects

troy4ever
06-14-2010, 08:59 PM
So yesterday I managed to make it to campus as I took 8 of my students to Troy to participate in the summer band camp hosted by the SOTS. Since I live in Atlanta, I had not made it to campus since our last home game last season. I was amazed to see how many construction projects going on around campus at once. Currently, there are FIVE big construction projects going on campus. Campus is kind of a mess right now actually and it's increadibly difficult to get around campus if you're just walking. Here are the five projects going on:

1. The front entrance. As someone posted a while back, the old Troy University sign that was at the front entrance of campus is gone. Currently being built in it's place on both sides of University Avenue are two red brick signs with new lettering and such. It's gonna look really nice when they finish it. I think I saw some side walks being put in as well in the grassy area of Tailgate Terrace right beside the stadium.

2. The basketball arena. Right now they're still just pushing around dirt...so there's not much to see.

3. Fraternity Row. Most of the houses look like they're in the final stages of being built. All the houses look the same as one another which I know was a point of contention between the fraternities and the university...but regardless they're WAY better than what they had before. What's odd is being able to drive down Collegedale and being able to see the backs of the fraternity houses so well since so many trees are now gone.

4. Bibb Graves Hall. Currently Bibb Graves looks dilapidated beyond belief. The area from the front of Bibb Graves all the way down to Malone Hall is closed down and fenced off because of the entire construction process. The new addition on the back of Bibb Graves seems to be coming along very slowly, but for the most part it's been bricked. But the area filled with trees between Bibb Graves and Malone is going to need a lot of work post-construction to get it back up to par.

5. The new dining hall. Don't bother trying to drive down University past the Bibb Graves quad. They've got the road shut down from the Administration building, all the way down to in front of Clements, and then halfway down the side of Alumni towards the current dining hall. Gone is the road that ran between Hal and Clements and it appears that a three-way roundabout will be placed at the intersection on the corner of Alumni Hall. Currently the construction area reaches all the way up to Collegedale and takes up half the parking lot behind HAL and Long hall.

Like I said...campus is a mess right now. It's an exciting time to be a student at Troy with all the great new projects going on...but I sure am glad I'm not a student anymore because getting around campus is quite the challenge at the moment.

TroyDrum89
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
...and to add to that list, we (the students) recently got an email about construction that's about to begin behind in front of Malone Hall to revamp the big commuter lot. They're resurfacing and adding several spots to that particular lot. We were also told that many of the construction projects that are preventing traffic-flow should be finished before the Fall semester. For example, they're supposed to be finished with some of the construction for the new roundabout at the intersection that's blocked off near the new dining hall.

troy4ever21
06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Dining Hall Renderings:
http://www.troy.edu/news/mediakits/Dining_Facility.pdf

Trojan2003
06-17-2010, 01:24 PM
So yesterday I managed to make it to campus as I took 8 of my students to Troy to participate in the summer band camp hosted by the SOTS. Since I live in Atlanta, I had not made it to campus since our last home game last season. I was amazed to see how many construction projects going on around campus at once. Currently, there are FIVE big construction projects going on campus. Campus is kind of a mess right now actually and it's increadibly difficult to get around campus if you're just walking. Here are the five projects going on:

1. The front entrance. As someone posted a while back, the old Troy University sign that was at the front entrance of campus is gone. Currently being built in it's place on both sides of University Avenue are two red brick signs with new lettering and such. It's gonna look really nice when they finish it. I think I saw some side walks being put in as well in the grassy area of Tailgate Terrace right beside the stadium.

2. The basketball arena. Right now they're still just pushing around dirt...so there's not much to see.

3. Fraternity Row. Most of the houses look like they're in the final stages of being built. All the houses look the same as one another which I know was a point of contention between the fraternities and the university...but regardless they're WAY better than what they had before. What's odd is being able to drive down Collegedale and being able to see the backs of the fraternity houses so well since so many trees are now gone.

4. Bibb Graves Hall. Currently Bibb Graves looks dilapidated beyond belief. The area from the front of Bibb Graves all the way down to Malone Hall is closed down and fenced off because of the entire construction process. The new addition on the back of Bibb Graves seems to be coming along very slowly, but for the most part it's been bricked. But the area filled with trees between Bibb Graves and Malone is going to need a lot of work post-construction to get it back up to par.

5. The new dining hall. Don't bother trying to drive down University past the Bibb Graves quad. They've got the road shut down from the Administration building, all the way down to in front of Clements, and then halfway down the side of Alumni towards the current dining hall. Gone is the road that ran between Hal and Clements and it appears that a three-way roundabout will be placed at the intersection on the corner of Alumni Hall. Currently the construction area reaches all the way up to Collegedale and takes up half the parking lot behind HAL and Long hall.

Like I said...campus is a mess right now. It's an exciting time to be a student at Troy with all the great new projects going on...but I sure am glad I'm not a student anymore because getting around campus is quite the challenge at the moment.

Thanks for this post.

I started this thread years ago (it's pretty much up-to-date), maybe you want to post updates from time to time.

-> http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6633

troy4ever21
07-01-2010, 12:25 AM
From the TroyMessenger:

Renovation of Bibb Graves Hall is projected to be finished by April next year while the new dining hall project is also well underway.

Were just getting into it good. Its going fine, Deavers said. We plan to have that completed for August 2011.

I can't wait! :thumb: