PDA

View Full Version : I can't find but two of the players signed as free agents

RedEdgeTrojan
04-28-2005, 10:45 AM
I have looked for quite awhile and have yet to find but two Troy players linked to a particular team. I found this:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3572786
today and it shows Tellis to the Jets and Samples to the Redskins. Am I not looking right? I wouldn't think they would sign someone and then drop before they got a chance to go to camp. I am most interseted in DeWhitt's case.

Someone help me!!

faithintsu
04-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah - thats what it seems. But from the article earlier this week we got on the boards, there are more Troy Boys then that.
TROY, Ala. One day after the conclusion of the 2005 NFL Draft seven former Troy University players signed free agent contracts with teams across the league.

Three others players are expected to ink free agent deals on Tuesday, giving Troy a school record 10 free agent signings in one season. The most Troy players to ever sign free agent deals in one season was six in 2001.

The seven players inked to contracts on Monday were: Joe Munson, TE (Chico, Calif.) to the Miami Dolphins; Cedric Sullivan, DE (Houston, Texas) to the Cincinnati Bengals; Henry Tellis, OL (Montgomery, Ala.) to the New York Jets; Jason Samples, WR (Swainsboro, Ga.) to the Washington Redskins; Alfred Malone, DT (Frisco City, Ala.) to the Houston Texans; DeWhitt Betterson, RB (Starke, Fla.) to the Chicago Bears; and Eric Thomas, DT (Atlanta, Ga.) to the Indianapolis Colts.

Three other former Trojans Derrick Ansley, DB (Tallassee, Ala.), Junior Louissaint, OL (Miami, Fla.) and Robby Farmer, LB (Hayden, Ala.) had all been contacted by teams, but did not sign on Monday.

The seven signings also follow the selection of defensive end Demarcus Ware in the first round on Saturday by the Dallas Cowboys. Ware, a native of Auburn, Ala., became the highest drafted player in the history of the Troy program, going with the 11th overall selection.

The previous highest draft position for a Troy player came in the 2003 draft when defensive lineman Osi Umenyiora went with the 56th pick, in the second round, to the New York Giants. The only other Troy player to ever be selected in the first 100 picks of the draft was Leonard Wheeler, who went to the Cincinnati Bengals with the 84th pick of the third round in 1992.

Ware became the 25th player in the history of Trojans football to have his name called during the NFL Draft. The first Troy player ever drafted was Glenn Thompson by the Miami Dolphins in 1969. He was picked the the 14th round that year.

Last fall, a total of seven former Trojans spent time on an NFL roster. There are currently five former Troy players listed on NFL rosters: Umenyiora with the Giants, kicker Lawrence Tynes with the Kansas City Chiefs, lineman Branden Hall with the Philadelphia Eagles, receiver Jonathan Carter with the Jets, and defensive back Rayshun Reed with the San Francisco 49ers.