PDA

View Full Version : Awesome article about D. Ware in the Dothan Eagle

TUEngineer
04-24-2005, 12:09 PM
http://www.dothaneagle.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=DEA%2FMGArticle%2FDEA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031782331756&path=!sports

Ware taken 11th overall by Cowboys

Tim Ritter / Media General
April 24, 2005

AUBURN - The world has come to know his name - Demarcus Ware.
But to those closest to him, he's known only as "Boot."

Growing up in Auburn, a young Ware just loved to strut around in his cowboy boots, and the name has stuck even now that he has grown into one of the most imposing players in the nation as a defensive end out of Troy University.

Now he'll be wearing a Cowboy hat, too, as the newest member of the Dallas Cowboys.

"OH MY GOD," Ware said, after going an astounding 11th overall in the Saturday's NFL draft. "I am sooo relieved. I don't even know how to say ... I am so relieved."

Here is a step-by-step tour through what might have been the longest, and greatest, day in Ware's life.

10:50 a.m. - Taniqua Smith and Travis Elston are alone in Conference Room I at the Hotel at Auburn and Dixon Conference Center. The large structure sits just outside the Auburn University campus, the school that did not offer a scholarship to Smith's fiancee and Elston's lifelong friend.

Food lines the back wall of the room Demarcus rented specifically for this occasion, and tables run down in levels toward the other end of the room, where a big screen projection TV and massive speakers sit.

"Everybody's supposed to be getting here around 11," Taniqua says.

The draft will begin in 10 minutes.

10:55 a.m. - Demarcus walks in with a big grin, ready to be grilled about being late.

"You know how it is," he says.

11 a.m. - A sea of family and friend pours through the door, including mother Brenda. Hugs and pounds are exchanged, and the noise level rises significantly. It's not all blood, but it all seems like family.

11:05 a.m. - As people still are filing into the room and the greetings continue, Demarcus' grandfather John Ware looks up at the ESPN telecast, which is just now announcing San Francisco is on the clock for the No. 1 pick.

"'Bout ready to get this thing started," he muses.

11:10 a.m.- Demarcus heads down to the second second table in front of the TV.

"I'm going to sit right down in front of the TV," he says with a wide grin. "I want to go blind."

11:11 a.m. - Demarcus is turned in his seat, talking with his friends and cousins about Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell, with whom he became friends in the onslaught of workouts after their senior seasons.

"J-Cam's stock has gone up so much, but his junior year he wasn't even supposed to be drafted," one of his buddies exclaims.

11:18 a.m. - "It's crazy, man," Elston says, shaking his head. "It seems like yesterday we were playing bumper cars."

11:19 a.m. - "Here we go," is heard around the room as NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue steps to the podium in New York. Tagliabue announces Utah quarterback Alex Smith as the 49ers' choice.

"Told you," remarks Demarcus.

11:33 a.m. - Miami selects Auburn running back Ronnie Brown with the No. 2 pick.

The room erupts.

11:50 a.m. - Food smells fill the room as chicken fingers, wings and egg rolls are rolled in by the caterers.

Brenda puts her camera to work, panning the packed room.

12:12 p.m. - Apparently, even with his selection getting ever closer and the anticipation in the room building, Demarcus has plenty of other things on his mind.

"I've got a six-page paper due Tuesday and an exam Friday," says Demarcus, who will graduate from Troy in May 6.

Also still taking plenty of his attention is his pending marriage to Smith, his high-school sweetheart. The two were engaged on June 3 of last year and will be getting married on the same day this year.

12:17 p.m. - Brown's teammate and fellow running back Carnell Williams is shown on the telecast at his home as the Buccaneers prepare to make their choice at No. 5.

"Man, I had that same shirt picked out last night, but I put it back," Demarcus says.

More cheers from around the room as the Bucs choose the "Cadillac."

12:22 p.m. - While noise fills the room around him, Demarcus leans back in thought, the fingers on his left hand slowly tapping on the table in front of him.

12:45 p.m. - "My phone's not going to die," Demarcus jokes with Elston. "I've been charging that thing."

The phone still has not rung.

1:06 p.m. - The room erupts once more as Auburn cornerback Carlos Rogers to Washington at No. 9 joins Brown and Williams as draftees.

"That's three baby," chimes in a loud Auburn fan in the back of the room.

1:14 p.m. - With Dallas on the clock at No. 11, family hushes and gathers around Demarcus. Some mock drafts had him going as high as this pick to the Cowboys. Taniqua takes her place on the right side, Brenda does likewise on the left.

1:20 p.m. - Demarcus' phone rings. He smiles as he grabs it and answers.

1:25 p.m. - After his family had already gathered and watched Demarcus on the phone in hushed silence for a seeming eternity, Taniqua whispers to him.

"Can you give us a thumbs up and thumbs down?"

Demarcus raises his hand and raises his thumb and the room erupts.

Brenda stifles tears as everyone jumps around her.

Ever so quietly, Demarcus can be heard as he tries to finish his phone conversation through the pandemonium surrounding him.

"That sounds real good," he says with a guffaw to the mysterious person on the other end of the phone.

1:26 p.m. - Paul Tagliabue steps to the podium.

"With the 11th pick in the NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Demarcus Ware."

Demarcus turns and hugs Taniqua.

"We're going to Texas, baby, we're going to Texas," she screams.

1:28 p.m. - After an embrace that lasted nearly a full minute, Taniqua finally pulls away from her soon-to-be mother-in-law Brenda.

"I wasn't crying until you started," she says.

It's a chain reaction through the whole room.

1:36 p.m. - Taniqua's Aunt Katherine Owens leans over toward her niece and tells her that her sister Shameka just called from Iraq, where Taniqua's fellow Air Force enlistee was recently stationed.

"You're sister just called - she was watching the draft in Iraq," she says excitedly.

Demarcus is still on the phone after picking up 10 minutes ago.

2:27 p.m. - Demarcus finally gets off the phone. Among the multitude of incoming calls he has had are ESPN, The Birmingham News and plenty of Dallas-area media.

Now, with people slowly filtering out, he's finally ready to divulge the caller who gave him the good news he has waited for since he was a little kid with big football dreams.

"It was Bill Parcells," Demarcus says, his eyes like saucers. "He's actually the only coach I hadn't talked to in this whole thing. He's the only one I didn't talk to at the Senior Bowl, the only one I didn't talk to at the Combine and they canceled my workout at Dallas."

Is he scared of one of the NFL's most fierce sideline presences?

"No, really, he's just like any other boss," he says.

He pauses.

"I can't believe I was the 11th pick in the draft."

The ordeal that was the draft is finally over.

A bold new world for Demarcus Ware has only just begun.

Sarahbelle
04-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Larry Brackins, the former Troy recruit from Dothan, just went in Round 5, pick 155.

TUEngineer
04-24-2005, 05:01 PM
yep, I know...
He's the next T.O. if he'll stay outta trouble.