PDA

View Full Version : TROY professor set to publish book

Mike Cunningham
03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
March 24, 2010 Contact: Clif Lusk or Tom Davis
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 334-670-3196

TROY professor set to publish book
TROY – A Troy University history professor is set to publish a book on black masculinity in U.S. history and literature by Ohio State University Press.
“Fathers, Preachers, Rebels, Men: Black Masculinity in US History and Literature, 1820-1945” is an interdisciplinary collection that deals with how black men negotiated issues of masculinity in the era before the modern Civil Rights movement.
“During slavery and Jim Crow, black men were defined in both law and custom as childlike, slave, and intellectually, physically and morally inferior to whites. This book shows how black men challenged and worked against those notions,” said Dr. Timothy Buckner, an assistant professor of history.
He said the idea for the project arose in 2005 with co-author Dr. Peter Caster, an assistant professor of literature and film at the University of South Carolina, both of whom had academic interests dealing with race and gender.
“Though his training is in literature and mine is in history, we both noticed that our disciplines had dealt with the issue of black masculinity prior to World War II in what we though were fairly superficial ways,” Dr. Buckner said. “After discussing this for a few months, we decided that the best way to represent the multifaceted experiences of black men was to create a collection of essays written by various authors in several fields.”
The book will be included in Ohio State’s Black Performance and Cultural Criticism Series and is anticipated to be available in summer 2011.
Dr. Timothy R. Buckner is an assistant professor in the department of history at Troy University.
###

Possum
04-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Every class I ever took with him all he talked about was slavery.

I think if he taught a SCUBA class, he would incorporate slavery into his lecture some how or another.

Drove me crazy and had quite a few arguments with him about it and won a couple of them which made me grin from ear to ear.