PDA

View Full Version : TROY fraternity leader elected to regional leadership

Mike Cunningham
02-17-2010, 07:14 PM
February 17, 2010 Contact: Clif Lusk or Tom Davis
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 334-670-3196

TROY fraternity leader elected to regional leadership

TROY – ATroy University Inter-Fraternity Council vice president has been elected president of the Southeastern Interfraternity Conference.

Andy Flowers, vice president of risk management for TROY’s IFC and a Sigma Chi Fraternity member, a sophomore risk management and insurance major from Linden, was elected during the SEIFC Leadership Academy Feb. 11 – 14.

The Southeastern Interfraternity Conference (SEIFC) is an association of fraternity governing councils in the southeastern United States. SEIFC is one of the six regional associations throughout North America designed to bring together institutions and individuals with a commitment to fraternity life on college and university campuses.

“More than anything IFC and SEIFC allows you to break away from the narrow view of just being involved with your fraternity,” Flowers said. “You get to meet people from other fraternities and meet new peers.”

With more than 100 fraternity governing councils currently holding membership, colleges and universities with student populations from under 3,000 to over 30,000 are serviced by the SEIFC Administrative Office.

“Andy’s election as president of the SEIFC is a ‘high water’ mark for Greek life at Troy University and I am very proud of him and his accomplishment,” said Dr. Jack Hawkins Jr., Chancellor. “His opportunity to provide leadership to Greeks throughout the southeast, coupled with the new homes for our fraternities on campus, will make for an exciting year to come.”

Under construction on the Troy Campus is the seven-house Fraternity Village along Pell Avenue, long home to the University’s fraternity system.

“A great Greek system does not have to be at the larger universities, it just needs hard working people in it,” Flowers said. “Having representation at this conference is a milestone. With the new fraternity houses being built and my position (on SEIFC), it puts TROY at the top of Greek systems as a whole.”

The Greek system, Flowers said, “is imperative to growth” of the University.

“The people in the Greek system are great recruiters for the university, and I think as a whole we are all leaders. I also think that being in a Greek organization makes you a better person,” he said. “It is not all about the parties, but it’s about making yourself a better person and pushing your brother to be the best that they can be.”

###