PDA

View Full Version : Any new merchandise?

TrojanWar
04-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Has anyone seen any new Troy merchandise for this fall? Will we have lots of selection, or will it be the same 3 or 4 different shirts and caps and 1 magnet?

How about car tags? I never saw any new car tags last year. And then there are jackets, blankets, stadium seats, shorts, pants, plush dolls, cups, coasters, home decor, etc.. The list could go on forever. We never had any of that stuff. This is merchandise that every other D1A school has available.

It's a slow time, so I thought I would give us something else to gripe about.

TUEngineer
04-05-2005, 12:04 PM
There's tons of new stuff in the bookstore...it's just not online. There's some REALLY nice stuff in there! I've also seen new t-shirts in the Wal-Mart here that aren't even in the Bookstore. They have the stupid new Trojan face on them...but there's a couple that look pretty neat.

TrojanWar
04-05-2005, 12:09 PM
That's good to hear. I just hope we can get more than just tshirts and caps this fall.

TUEngineer
04-05-2005, 12:25 PM
There's quite a few VERY nice hoodies, long sleeve shirts, polo shirts, toboggans, flags, etc....pretty good variety.

TUEngineer
04-05-2005, 12:26 PM
There's also random merchandise such as cups, mugs, glasses, shot glasses, etc....

Lord-Mustang
04-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Sohail is actively working on changing several more things in his areas. I chat with him on a regular basis and discuss not only my concerns/wishes, but some of those from these forums. He's promised to make the bookstores website a priority right after dealing with the Textbook merger issue and the CBord situation, which might I add, he is currently in talks with Blackboard about.

BMarkey
04-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Please remind Sohail that many, many of us would like to have a Troy U. ringtone (Cingular, please)!

Seriously, lots of smaller schools have them. Why not us?!

Lord-Mustang
04-06-2005, 01:09 AM
I'll pass it along, but wouldn't hold my breathe on that one.

troymarkus
04-06-2005, 08:00 AM
And this isn't an attack on you, but that is exactly the perspective/thought process that keeps Troy behind everyone else. Ringtones are so simple, but the people who can do something about it are either clueless or assume it's way too much work for them to do so we never get it. It's like that with way too much down there in Pike County. I wish someone would step up and say we are going to market this athletic department like a 1-A program.

BMarkey
04-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Tiny private schools and colleges like Bama A&M have ringtones. Can't Troy at least try?

SOTSAlumBigGuns
04-06-2005, 08:49 AM
You said it BMarkey.... I even contacted Alltel customer service about them having Alabama, Auburn, Alabama A&M and UAB, but not TROY. I told them that many people would pay to have it. Their response? It was something like they don't have control over the ringtones or they don't make the ringtones. Its been a few months since I did that. Maybe they'd get it if they had enough requests for it. :roll:

Lord-Mustang
04-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Well, before I pass this along, what ringtone are you wanting? Fight Song, SotS intro? After posting last night I got alittle curious about ringtones and did some investigating. I have a few things I may try to create one, but need to know which to look at before continuing any further with it.

TrojanWar
04-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Verizon would be important in the Wiregrass area. I think Verizon is by far the largest carrier around here. I know I...err, I mean The Eagle would pay for it!

Also, I want merchandise in every store in the area, not just the Troy bookstore. Other schools stuff can be found in just about any store in the mall. We are so limited as to where we can buy merchandise...and this was the case even before the name and logo changes.

BMarkey
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
what ringtone are you wanting? Fight Song, SOTS intro?

Both.

Cingular is a (the?) major player in the Southeast.

During a football game last season in the Stadium Club, a bunch of us here thought we had a ringtone deal going. One of us had the technology to create the tone (codes, etc.). He just needed approval from Troy U. We referred him to Sohail. What ever happened to that?

As for merchandise, Troy needs to hire someone to specifically handle merchandising. Even the Ozark Wal-Mart (40 or so miles south of Troy) does NOT carry Troy U. apparel. That's pathetic.

This guy could be paid on commission and make some serious money.

It ought to be easy to find Troy goods from Birmingham to Pensacola to Columbus -maybe not a lot, but SOMETHING! Even if Troy has to make little or nothing in licensing fees (in the short term), the notoriety (and fan support ... walking billboards!) these items would generate would be worthwhile.

It can't be that hard of a sell.

I fear the problem is the perceived good old boy, "we like it the way it is, take it slow" mentality in which Troy (and this goes for general marketing and sports info matters as well) seems destined to remain mired.

troymarkus
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I was there and remember that conversation. I agree 100% with your assessment Bob.

faithintsu
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I remember that conversation as well - the guy told me he could have it done, and i told him I would sell it on GTT.Com

Since then - I have heard nothing from him. Do you guys remember who that was that told us that?

TrojanWar
04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
I went in ScreenTech today and surprise, surprise, they had nothing! Just the same few items from last year. The girl working pretty much said the Troy administration is doing very little right now to get any new items going. I have no idea if she was right or not, but I do know there is nothing there. What they do have is much more expensive than any of the Alabama, Auburn, or Georgia items. For example, the car flags were $9.99 for all of the schools I mentioned, and $15.99 for Troy. They had a car tag that was solid white and said Troy University. It was the plainest looking thing I've ever seen. The girl said people come in everyday looking for stuff and walk out pissed off because there is nothing new to purchase. This merchandising garbage really has me upset. I know TUEngineer said the bookstore had some good stuff, but I don't live in Troy. Merchandise should be spread out much further than the campus bookstore.

I can't wait for Jeff to get the new shirts made up. I think he could do even more items and they would all sell. I say if the University does not want to profit off of merchandise, someone should.

troymarkus
04-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I might be stepping into something I have no idea about...but...I think the lack of merchandise at ScreenTech is purley ScreenTech's fault. They can make new stuff if they want. They can design new stuff and pay the University the royalties. In my experience, ScreenTech has been very unhelpful and not very creative.

Just an opinion.

TrojanWar
04-08-2005, 03:22 PM
I was just stating what the girl told me. You are probably right Markus. I'm just sick of not being able to buy Troy merchandise in Dothan or anywhere else for that matter. There are high schools with more merchandise than us. That's really sad.

theman
04-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Screentech can produce any items/designs that have already been approved by the University. Any new design has to go through the approval process. This is where the bottle neck exists. They have people that do not understand merchandise marketing and demand making decisions. Perfect example: the number one selling bookstore item last year was the pink and brown clothing (womens)with school logos. The bookstore got some in and Schmidt and Hawkins made them take it out of the store because is was not the approved school color scheme.

I am not sure what they are experts in but it sure is not marketing.

They should stay in the ivory tower and let professionals handle the marketing.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
04-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I can't wait for Jeff to get the new shirts made up. I think he could do even more items and they would all sell. I say if the University does not want to profit off of merchandise, someone should.

For Jeff to do some TROY items and sell them, a certain percentage of sales has to go to the University for use of the logo. I would think that it would not have to go through the "bottle neck" approval process... does the merchandise at Wal-mart have to? I definately have the connections to get merchandise made up if Jeff wants to deal with the whole process. Its not worth it though if everything has to be approved by the admin. :roll:

TrojanWar
04-08-2005, 04:18 PM
If he does not use the official Troy logos, I don't think it matters to the University does it? I say everyone on here should come together and create our own logos. I know this sounds like I'm going overboard, but I'm just afraid the University will not come through for us on this as they did not last year. I just want to buy some stuff!

faithintsu
04-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I definately have the connections to get merchandise made up if Jeff wants to deal with the whole process. Its not worth it though if everything has to be approved by the admin.

Yeah i am already approved, that was easy. I can sell anything I want with the Troy Logo, I choose not to makeup my own stuff as its alot of work on my end. Don't think many people relize I do this on the side, and not full time or part time job.

Thanks for the recommendation though - we are going to slowly start getting more stuff - just takes a while. Plus I got to sell all of the stuff I have first, which is why I cut prices on it all to cheap.